“Wonderful Building Wonder Staff Amazing Experience - Unjust Treatment” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Raffles Hotel Singapore

Special Offer
Suite with Credit Offer
Ranked #3 of 294 Hotels in Singapore
Singapore, Singapore
“Wonderful Building Wonder Staff Amazing Experience - Unjust Treatment”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

Contradicting but true. My experience based on ONE visit.

The Raffles Hotel, a hotel I always dream of being residence of even for a day. Locals pride themselves having a iconic and unique hotel where luxury accommodation is at it's finest.

Truly and experience worth a lifetime, the colonial contemporary architecture with small details on the walls and the majestic marble flooring accompanied with the touch of personalised service.

I arrived alone and was assist at my transportation. Upon entering the complex, I was stopped by the gentleman who assisted me at the driveway with a delayed "Excuse me, can I help you". As informed that I was making my way to the lobby for check-in, I was escorted gracefully to the front desk. After completing the checking-in process I was told to await on the butler to show me to my suite. Instead, an agent at the front desk assisted me. A pleasant conversation, we engaged in. Well versed and informative is the agent ANNA and also helpful. On my return to the reception to pick up my partner, ANNA was very polite and she was able to address myself by name.

The room was amazing and grand, the facilities compliment the decor however this meant that the TV was old and dated. The tele is functional and cable channels are available but you'll never get HDMI on a CRT television set.

The little things made the room special such as the potpourri in the cabinets which smells great! WiFi is strong and fast which is perfect for business travelers or the techsavvy. 3G/LTE reception is almost nonexistent but that's not the fault of the hotel. The Flower arrangement in the room is beautiful!!

Concierge is excellent in getting my reservations for dinner elsewhere was done quickly.

As mentioned by several other fellow guests on their reviews, the butler service or lack thereof when requested over the 'service call' button at the room's console was returned by a courtesy call instead of a physical butler as promised on the pamphlets and room directory. Nevertheless the gentleman or occasional lady over the phone is informative and helpful to our request.

The only downside is that the staff at the entrance of the lobby whose enforcing the Residence-Only access offended me.

On my next entry to the lobby, I was stopped by the bellman who offered assistance of which I request where the nearest washroom and was directed to the raffles arcade washrooms instead and refused my entry. I am sure I wasn't ill-dressed or any less casual then the Caucasian guest in shorts sitting in the lobby.

Again when I wanted to visit the outlet Tiffin Room and view the Pool.. I extended a greeting to the staff at the entrance and was not acknowledge when I greeted this individual, instead a response "Sorry, Residence only", ticked off I responded "I KNOW" and continue my way into the lobby and was forcefully stopped by him again "Sorry, you're not allowed in here, Residence only". At rage I raised my voice at the gentleman of which I am not proud of because speaking to a working staff at that tone is unbecoming of me, I said "I'm very sorry, I stay here!". Completely offended, I 180ed my way out.

During my course of stay, I never visited the Pool or anywhere beyond the boundary of Tiffin Room for breakfast and the front desk.

Breakfast is 0630hrs to 1030hrs please help yourself to the seating as the podium is unmanned. Breakfast spread is decent and quality of food is good, produce is of great quality which can be seen at the fruit section. Watermelon, Grapefruit, pineapple was of best quality. Breakfast staff is polite, helpful and quick with service, however understaffed until 9am, difficult to get service attention until then.

Room Tip: Enjoy your stay at The Raffles Hotel; Dress utterly English to receive service. Look young and Asian...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Simon H, General Manager at Raffles Hotel Singapore, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear Ac T,

Greetings from Raffles Singapore.

Thank you choosing to stay with us recently as well as for taking the time to share your experience in detail which is always very helpful and appreciated. Your positive feedback on our colleagues and Anna, our Concierge, as well as the hotel room and facilities is also very welcome.

Raffles Singapore is fortunate to attract and welcome literally hundreds of visitors on a daily basis due to our history, heritage and reputation. We are delighted that this is the case however we do have to manage the situation sensitively and carefully acknowledge and action the desire for privacy of our hotel guests and residents. The team manages this sometimes sensitive situation extremely well overall and we aim to identify every resident by name and face at any location of the hotel.

Our philosophy is to respect all guests and customers in the same way. I am sorry if we created any other impression and this will be addressed.

In spite of some disappointing aspects which I hoped to have helped clarify, I do appreciate your other generous feedback on the areas of the hotel that you enjoyed.

As it appears you may be living in Singapore, please do contact me if I may be of assistance or to address any of the issues raised.

Raffles Singapore

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Edinburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

We stayed at Raffles for four nights in July 2013 on our way back to the UK from Australia, where we had been supporting the victorious Lions!

We stayed in the Joseph Conrad Suite. It was superb. The service was outstanding (special mention for Logan at the Pool Bar), the food was excellent and the accommodation took you back to a grander age. The buffet breakfast included mouthwatering fresh fruit, afternoon tea was delightful and the Indian Buffet in the Tiffin Restaurant was delicious.

Never to be forgotten. We will definitely stay there again when next in Singapore.

Room Tip: Ask for a first floor room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Simon H, General Manager at Raffles Hotel Singapore, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Ross M

Greetings from Raffles Singapore.

Thank you for taking the time to post such a lovely review about your stay at Raffles.

Your words, “Never to be forgotten” have particular resonance, as what we try to do is to not only provide comfort and luxury – but to make our guests feel comfortable and at home - as you certainly seemed to have felt.

I will pass on your comments to the always charming Logan at the Pool Bar and I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Adelaide
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I stayed with my Aunt at Raffles for one night in July 2013. It was an extremely special hotel stay.

Our room was a Raffles State-Inc room, the least expensive category at the hotel. It was still beautiful, and large, with a separate study area. Although in a recently built wing, it felt extremely classic and colonial. It was in perfect keeping with the rest of the hotel.

The staff was consistently extremely personable and helpful. Our lovely butler offered helpful advice on where to eat, and (in a wonderful surprise) brought a cake to our room to celebrate my aunt’s birthday. The bar staff at the outside bar made excellent recommendations for cocktails. While I found one member of the concierge staff slightly unhelpful about suggestions for an activity on a Sunday afternoon, they were otherwise brilliant.

The public spaces in the hotel are also beautiful and unique. The main lobby is distinctive, and sitting in one of the lounge chairs very restful. The Long Bar, Tiffin Room, Writer’s Bar and Courtyard Bar were all lovely spaces. The band in the Long Bar was excellent. In the Tiffen Room, the semi-buffet breakfast was the best I’ve had in any hotel. The afternoon tea was also lovely. They catered extensively for my aunt’s gluten free diet. Most special of all, the harp player and members of staff sang happy birthday to my aunt and brought her a second (large) Cake.

The pool is very nice, but perhaps lacks the atmosphere of the rest of the hotel.

I couldn’t begin to recommend a hotel more. Though expensive, I actually felt the hotel was excellent value. Unlike the circus of Marina Bay Sands, this is heaven.

Room Tip: The State Inc rooms are actually very nice, though they do not really offer a view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear john_tillett

Greetings from Raffles Singapore.

Thank you for posting your charming review following your stay with your aunt last month. And thank you also for recommending Raffles so positively and describing it as “heaven” - which is high praise indeed.

I am so pleased that your enjoyed our lovely heritage building, with all its atmosphere and magic. We really are lucky to be the custodians of such a special place.

I am glad the staff were able to play a small part in your aunt’s celebrations and that she enjoyed her birthday at Raffles.

We look forward to having you back with us again soon.

Liskeard
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I am pleased to inform anyone who travels to Singapore not to stay at the over rated overpriced hotel, we don't get to go to Singapore often and wanted it to be a memory that we could look back on. Sadly it did not pan out that way, as we like to travel around Asia and experience the places we stay, we took the underground from the airport, so arrived at Raffles not looking our best. We were then pigeon holed for our stay, shown to our room which was a downgrade from the one we booked and insulted by members of staff.

I wanted to go to the long bar for the world famous Singapore Sling, great idea but after paying a fortune to stay at the hotel i expected a better service, or at least a smile as the bar staff used a pre prepared mixture in a big vat of Singapore Sling placed it into the shaker and served it up calling it there hand made world famous Singapore Sling, then they had the nerve to charge you 32 SPD for it. Oh and the only way to get to the bar was past all the over priced outlets stores and tacky tea towels and rubbish from the hotel shop.

To cap it all i understood that our rooms had an outside area that was not private, but ours had a view of the main street, which was pointed out to us by the hotel manager whilst he informed some other guest that this was the cheap seats and they had a much better view than us. We returned to our room after a long day visiting the sites to find a young girl running all over our outside area and sitting at our table and chairs, the parents doing nothing as we looked on trying to suggest that we had payed good money for your rotten child to be running around our area, when we heard from the hotel manger his thoughts on our view, not even an apology.

I will never pay to stay there, we spend the rest of our stay in the Days hotel. The service was better then the Raffles, the staff were polite, nothing was a problem and it only cost us 75 SPD to stay there not the 1100 SDP they charge at Raffles, make your own mind up but heed this warning, don't expect too much

Room Tip: The Days Hotel, better by far
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear TrumpetSpeed-04,

Greetings from Raffles Singapore.

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback so honestly. Obviously I am very disappointed for you, that your overall experience was not what the vast majority of our guests normally enjoy so much at Raffles.

While like most hotels we do have differing room categories as you have seen, there are only three main groups of room varieties which are generally quite similar in size and layout but with different outlooks depending on location. The suite you have been in is a popular category and it is true that like most of the suites, one of the features is a shared verandah with eight other suites. Indeed this location should have been explained to you clearly at that time, and the reasons why. I am sorry that this was not the case.

I take on board your comments about the Singapore Sling and having arrived here recently am addressing it as a priority. However, I would only say that the finished quality is genuine and the blend correct, and the majority are hand-made as they are in all other restaurants and bars.

Being a larger low-rise design, it is true that our restaurants, bars and shops are nicely spaced out. I would just like to say that in response to your comments about the Raffles Gift Shop, we have a range of items from very affordable to more luxurious products and we actually receive many comments that we have a good range, not just expensive, and the prices are fair.

I believe the other boutiques in the Arcade would only be able to charge competitive prices in the Singapore market.

Should you see my response, I would be delighted to speak to you and please do contact me at Raffles Singapore in order to address your concerns.

On behalf of the team, please allow me to express my personal apologies for not meeting your expectations with our usually high standards of Raffles Singapore.

Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

We have just returned from a three night stay, and it is easy to see why this hotel is world famous. It has an air of calm about it, yet the service is impeccable, and nothing is too much trouble (including holding some of our luggage whilst we went to Borneo and then delivering it to the Fairmont on our return) The staff were superb, and we were always met with a smile, and often by name. The suites are something else- all modern amenities, yet in some ways unchanged from the past.
Unlike other similar hotels that we have stayed in, which have been somewhat soulless, Raffles has a wonderful feel to it, almost magical.
Definitely a hotel to recommend. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Barbara0957

Greetings from Raffles Singapore.

Thank you for your wonderful review of your recent stay with us. I am delighted that Raffles Singapore lived up to its reputation. It is always a joy to read that our guests have enjoyed the history and atmosphere of Raffles and particularly the service offered by our team.

I do hope we see you back here before too long.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

This was our first experience of Raffles and we were not disappointed. The staff were friendly and courteous. Nothing was too much trouble and they were all very helpful. This grand hotel is not high tech or cheap, but the experience of "olde world" grandeur was exactly what we were looking for. Loved it so much we will be going back.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Larfin

Greetings from Raffles Singapore.

Thank you for posting your lovely review. We are really thrilled that you enjoyed your first stay so much, and that the staff looked after you so well. We do like to think of Raffles as an oasis for travellers – and it’s great to see that this sentiment is reflected by our guests as well.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Wallsend, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

The world famous hotel we simply had to stay in! Everything about it is so classy. As soon as we arrived the staff made us feel like a million dollars. I am a working class man and they treat me as if i was a king! The rooms are luxurious and the room service guy was as polite & friendly as any i have seen. This trip to Singapore was a stopover enroute to Australia so we didnt see a lot of it but this was a treat for us and i shall never forget it!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear brian j

Greetings from Raffles Singapore.

Thank you for your lovely review of Raffles. The staff will be delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay so much that you will never forget it. That is praise indeed. We hope that it won’t be too long before we see you back here again.

Raffles Singapore

Been to Raffles Hotel Singapore? Share your experiences!