If you've never been to Singapore, be prepared for very expensive hotel rooms - and Swissotel is no exception. For the price, I want to expect luxury - but this is not a luxury hotel.
My company paid for a basic room with 2 full-sized beds. With just me in the room, it was plenty spacious, and had a nice view of the courtyard and pool. The beds are very hard, but pillows and blankets comfortable. The bathroom was large with every amenity I look for (slippers, toiletries, hairdryer, etc) EXCEPT a robe. This seems a strange omission. Wireless and wired internet is available for an incredible $12SGD an hour or $28SGD a day. Breakfast is NOT included in the basic room, and runs $30SGD + 10% gratuity + tax, if you eat in the hotel. For the price - get an upgraded room that includes internet and breakfast, if you plan to need them.
My interactions with hotel staff were limited, but I found them generally friendly and helpful. Expect slow service in the restaurants when it is busy, particularly on drink refills.
The breakfast buffet has many good foods, although the selection is the same each day. The lunch buffet is a better experience, with many more stations and a very good representative sampling of local cuisine - our local contacts actually brought us to our own hotel for lunch, as they enjoyed it so much. Don't feel confined to the hotel for food though - Clark Quay has many, many good restaurants along the river. You can also go to the basement level of the nearby mall for cheap local food - $4SGD for a prawn noodle bowl lunch for example.
If you are visiting Singapore on business, this is an excellent location. If you are here primarily to shop, you will want a hotel closer to Orchard road. Either way, taxis are abundent and not expensive, and it seems to take no more than 30 minutes to travel. If I return for business, I would be content with an upgraded room here, but would not bring my family on a personal trip.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Swissôtel Merchant Court is situated right in the heart of the city centre, by the banks of the Singapore River and close to Clarke Quay and Chinatown, offering exciting dining and entertainment facilities. The hotel is beside the Clarke Quay MRT (subway). Facilities include a choice of 2 restaurants, 2 bars, the Amrita Spa & Wellness, a resort style swimming pool and 24-hour fitness centre. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Splendia, Agoda, Priceline, Despegar.com, Ctrip TA, Travelocity, HotelTravel.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Swissotel Merchant Court reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Swissotel Merchant Court Hotel Singapore
- Swissotel Merchant Court Singapore