“Great location on Clark Quay, but rooms pretty basic” 4 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Endless Weekends
Ranked #46 of 294 Hotels in Singapore
Portland, OR
“Great location on Clark Quay, but rooms pretty basic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2009

If you've never been to Singapore, be prepared for very expensive hotel rooms - and Swissotel is no exception. For the price, I want to expect luxury - but this is not a luxury hotel.

My company paid for a basic room with 2 full-sized beds. With just me in the room, it was plenty spacious, and had a nice view of the courtyard and pool. The beds are very hard, but pillows and blankets comfortable. The bathroom was large with every amenity I look for (slippers, toiletries, hairdryer, etc) EXCEPT a robe. This seems a strange omission. Wireless and wired internet is available for an incredible $12SGD an hour or $28SGD a day. Breakfast is NOT included in the basic room, and runs $30SGD + 10% gratuity + tax, if you eat in the hotel. For the price - get an upgraded room that includes internet and breakfast, if you plan to need them.

My interactions with hotel staff were limited, but I found them generally friendly and helpful. Expect slow service in the restaurants when it is busy, particularly on drink refills.

The breakfast buffet has many good foods, although the selection is the same each day. The lunch buffet is a better experience, with many more stations and a very good representative sampling of local cuisine - our local contacts actually brought us to our own hotel for lunch, as they enjoyed it so much. Don't feel confined to the hotel for food though - Clark Quay has many, many good restaurants along the river. You can also go to the basement level of the nearby mall for cheap local food - $4SGD for a prawn noodle bowl lunch for example.

If you are visiting Singapore on business, this is an excellent location. If you are here primarily to shop, you will want a hotel closer to Orchard road. Either way, taxis are abundent and not expensive, and it seems to take no more than 30 minutes to travel. If I return for business, I would be content with an upgraded room here, but would not bring my family on a personal trip.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Wiltshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2009

Looks a nice hotel and you can see it from most places in and around Clarke Quay, which suggests that there are a lot of rooms with decent views of the surrounding area or the pool area or pretty much anything other than the bottom of a tower block which is what we got from our room on the second floor, even though we booked months in advance direct with the hotel.

Breakfast was pretty poor too - after the first day we went to local cafes in nearby shopping centre

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Rotterdam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2009

Stayed at this hotel for 6 nights for a vacation. Upon arrival I was disappointed, the double bed I wanted was not available. Only a room with two single beds. All other rooms (non-smoking) with double beds were booked. That's luckily were the disappointment ended. The bed, while small (because it's a single bed) was very comfortable. I slept very well these 6 nights. The room was always kept clean. The front desk was helpful with inquiries and the staff at the hotel shop were very friendly. I kept coming back for cold drinks, very cheap. The nearby 7-11 is much more expensive.

My room was at the Clarke Quay side, but I never heard a sound, the room was very quiet even in the weekend.

I don't know which part of Singapore the person who said fun is prohibited visited, but this is certainly not my experience. Singapore is a great city, especially the Halloween festivities were fantastic on Clarke Quay.

I didn't eat at the hotel so I can't comment on that. Very convenient is the Clarke Quay MRT station next to the hotel. Location wise, you can't beat this hotel.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2009

The Swissotel was not a bad hotel for Singapore. It is in a very good location on the Clarke Quay for tourists to see the sights however with this comes the noise and do not expect any sleep till the early hours of the morning especially on a Saturday night. The rooms are small but adequate and this was one of the few hotels in Singapore we found gave us adjoining rooms. Our advice, give Singapore a miss, go to another Asian Country as Singapore is expensive, strict and the fun never stops because is never starts, it is against the law to have fun in Singapore!!!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
London UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2009

Arrive in the morning after a night flight, checked stright in and hte blackout blinds enabled anyone who wanted to too sleep off the jetlag. Dinner in the evening OK but due the the "festival of the crab" dishes without crab in them were limited. BReakfast superb too and high speed internet connectivity availably. A short walk from Clark Quay for great entertainment and the Asia Mall.
Staff very friendly and helpfull, but beware of being dragged into the suit shop and being measured for a suit!

Will definatly return

• Stayed November 2009
Munich
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2009

Rooms are small but well designed, my room had an espresso machine producing great coffee ! :-), The pool is super, great nice staff. A really good hotel

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Sydney
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2009

I recently stayed at Swissotel Merchant Court on my Honeymoon, and I have to say I was terribly disappointed - maybe I am too fussy!
Our room was of reasonable size, but had mould in the bathroom, and the exhuaust vent was falling out of the ceiling and blocked with dust. When I turned the shower on, brown water came from the tap! We didnt sleep very well, as we were on level 2, very close to Clark Quay, and a club that had pounding music going until the wee hours of the morning.
The next day we raised these issues with reception, and I am happy to say we were 'upgraded'. The new room was much smaller but much cleaner and furnished to the standard I would expect for the price per night.
The buffet breakfast was very average - quite stodgy. I would not recommend paying for it unless it is included in your deal. One staff member even rolled her eyes when we asked for glasses of water!
The location is good if you want to be near clark quay. We got around on the Metro system - very clean, efficient and reasonably priced.
I think that there must be better places to stay in Singapore and would not stay there again.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Swissotel Merchant Court? Share your experiences!