“Solid choice” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #44 of 293 Hotels in Singapore
Pontypridd
“Solid choice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel, did everything you'd expect of a swissotel. Had an advantage room which gave us internet and water. Room was clean and smart if a little small, bathroom tidy but could do with a makeover and update-shower curtains in a hotel of this standard let it down. Staff very helpful and friendly-maids left F1 chocolate and earplugs ahead of the race.

Location good, near Clarke quay and about 10 mins walk to city hall. Reasonable rate given that the Grand Prix was on. Nice pool area and gym. Absolutely nothing wrong with the hotel, just lacked that wow factor...but after being at Marina Bay Sands maybe that was to be expected.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
SingaporeMerchantCT, Public Relations Manager at Swissotel Merchant Court, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear GarethRhysMorgan,

Thank you for choosing Swissôtel Merchant Court on your visit to Singapore and we are pleased to learn that you and your partner had a delightful stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Swissôtel Merchant Court

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (372)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Fast reception and decent hotel. Price is mediocre. You should stay here if the location is critical (it sits right in the main tourist zone). You can find other hotels that are cheaper and nearby (but slightly less conveniently located).

Dear Andrew Z,

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back at Swissôtel Merchant Court on your next visit to Singapore.

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights at the Swissotel Merchant Court about 1 week ago and overall, a good experience. I stayed in the Swiss Executive Room located on the 10th floor with club lounge access and breakfast.

I tried checking in early at about 1100hrs but got my room at 1230hrs instead. Still, they managed to get me checked-in before the check-in time but had to compromise on my preferred bed configuration. I particularly liked the architecture of the hotel and the fact that it is so conveniently located. Right on clarke quay with all the restaurants, clubs and bars as well as easy access to public transportation. To me, Clarke Quay really is the heart of Singapore's night life so for those who want a taste of Singapore's night life, this would be one of the better hotels in the vicinity.

I was also amazed that one of the reception staff greeted me by name the next morning and that really cemented my overall impression of the hotel. Further, housekeeping did a great job with keeping my room clean and turn-down service was a nice touch. The hotel has also one of the most efficient in-room dining service I've experienced - they always met the promised 20mins delivery time.

There were however two key negatives during my stay:

1. The room I had was particularly small (although nicely updated) and for more than SGD420 per night, I'm not sure if everyone would find it value for money. I guess you're paying for the access to the club lounge and breakfast. But for business travellers, the room would fit most needs and I liked having breakfast in the peace and quiet of the lounge.

2. There was a staff member who chose to interrupt me as I was on the phone in the breakfast lounge. It was not until I raised the fact that I was on the line did he step aside and approach me later instead.

I think the hotel delivers on many areas but for travellers, it all boils down to what you prefer. Singapore offers so many types of hotels for a myriad of travellers. This hotel, in my opinon, would probably appeal more to business travellers due to its location and those seeking to explore Singapore's nightlife with convenient access to public transportation.

Dear Daziz_91,

Thank you for your kind review of your stay with us. We are pleased to learn that you enjoyed the comfort and our Swiss hospitality. Thank you for choosing Swissôtel Merchant Court and we look forward to your next visit soon.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

I stayed here for 6 nights on a business trip. I usually stay at the Marriott on Orchard Rd but rates there have gone up so high I could no longer justify it. I prefer this Swisshotel location at Clarke Quay due to the river and proximity to Chinatown, although the Marriott is nearly perfect in operations where this Swisshotel has some issues.

First blunder, the main breakfast area is overcrowded and poorly designed. Obtaining food is inconvenient and almost intimidating. There are simply too many people in a small area without any flow to the walkways. I stay in hotels 50 nights a year and this is the only place I had this problem, so be assured it's obvious.

Second blunder, the room thermostat in 723 does not work. The A/C ran continuously regardless of settings and resulted in a freezer condition. I turned the dial all the way down to 28C yet it would never shut off. I had to open the windows and shut off the system completely to get a decent ambient temperature.

Overall hotel setting is nice. The pool is clean, and big. The location on the river is great for restaurant access and morning walks.

One of my colleagues had the executive club level and I joined him for breakfast one day. It was excellent - food was better then downstairs, no crowds, great view. If I stay at this hotel again in the future I'd try to get on the executive floor.

Dear bradleystat,

Thank you for taking time to share your review with us. Pleased be assured that we are looking into every area so as to provide all our guests with the high level of product quality. We look forward to welcoming you back at Swissôtel Merchant Court on your visit to Singapore. in the near future.

South Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

We preferred this architecturally older style hotel which offers up to date service with comfort and care. We enjoyed the pool area, restaurant and bar which overlooked the busy Clarke Quay but allowed us a more intimate and peaceful setting. It was a great location for our needs and very relaxing. We would be happy to visit again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Swissotel

Dear Bronwyn L,

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back at Swissôtel Merchant Court on your next visit to Singapore.

Fremantle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

The hotel was very nice but aging. The carpet in the bedroom was quite old and the bathroom needed maintenance. The balcony was dirty with food on the floor and was not cleaned for the 3 days we were there.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Swissotel

SingaporeMerchantCT, Public Relations Manager at Swissotel Merchant Court, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Rhona C,

Thank you for choosing Swissôtel Merchant Court on your visit to Singapore. Pleased be assured that we are looking into every area so as to provide all our guests with the high level of product quality. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Hyderabad
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

A typical old American/European style hotel. Rooms are big for its location. Great location if you want to party hard at Clarke quay. Bang on the Quay! Metro station is easily accessible which is a huge plus, close to Orchard road too. Food is decent. The rooms badly need up gradation, they are clean but look quite old. Doesn't have health faucet which should be a norm in Asian countries. Rooms facing the road are quite noisy. This is another drawback.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Scorpionxylo,

Swissôtel Merchant Court

Been to Swissotel Merchant Court? Share your experiences!