“A Well-Rounded Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #43 of 291 hotels in Singapore
Singapore, Singapore
“A Well-Rounded Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights at the Swissotel Merchant Court about 1 week ago and overall, a good experience. I stayed in the Swiss Executive Room located on the 10th floor with club lounge access and breakfast.

I tried checking in early at about 1100hrs but got my room at 1230hrs instead. Still, they managed to get me checked-in before the check-in time but had to compromise on my preferred bed configuration. I particularly liked the architecture of the hotel and the fact that it is so conveniently located. Right on clarke quay with all the restaurants, clubs and bars as well as easy access to public transportation. To me, Clarke Quay really is the heart of Singapore's night life so for those who want a taste of Singapore's night life, this would be one of the better hotels in the vicinity.

I was also amazed that one of the reception staff greeted me by name the next morning and that really cemented my overall impression of the hotel. Further, housekeeping did a great job with keeping my room clean and turn-down service was a nice touch. The hotel has also one of the most efficient in-room dining service I've experienced - they always met the promised 20mins delivery time.

There were however two key negatives during my stay:

1. The room I had was particularly small (although nicely updated) and for more than SGD420 per night, I'm not sure if everyone would find it value for money. I guess you're paying for the access to the club lounge and breakfast. But for business travellers, the room would fit most needs and I liked having breakfast in the peace and quiet of the lounge.

2. There was a staff member who chose to interrupt me as I was on the phone in the breakfast lounge. It was not until I raised the fact that I was on the line did he step aside and approach me later instead.

I think the hotel delivers on many areas but for travellers, it all boils down to what you prefer. Singapore offers so many types of hotels for a myriad of travellers. This hotel, in my opinon, would probably appeal more to business travellers due to its location and those seeking to explore Singapore's nightlife with convenient access to public transportation.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
SingaporeMerchantCT, Public Relations Manager at Swissotel Merchant Court, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear Daziz_91,

Thank you for your kind review of your stay with us. We are pleased to learn that you enjoyed the comfort and our Swiss hospitality. Thank you for choosing Swissôtel Merchant Court and we look forward to your next visit soon.

2,330 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (354)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

I stayed here for 6 nights on a business trip. I usually stay at the Marriott on Orchard Rd but rates there have gone up so high I could no longer justify it. I prefer this Swisshotel location at Clarke Quay due to the river and proximity to Chinatown, although the Marriott is nearly perfect in operations where this Swisshotel has some issues.

First blunder, the main breakfast area is overcrowded and poorly designed. Obtaining food is inconvenient and almost intimidating. There are simply too many people in a small area without any flow to the walkways. I stay in hotels 50 nights a year and this is the only place I had this problem, so be assured it's obvious.

Second blunder, the room thermostat in 723 does not work. The A/C ran continuously regardless of settings and resulted in a freezer condition. I turned the dial all the way down to 28C yet it would never shut off. I had to open the windows and shut off the system completely to get a decent ambient temperature.

Overall hotel setting is nice. The pool is clean, and big. The location on the river is great for restaurant access and morning walks.

One of my colleagues had the executive club level and I joined him for breakfast one day. It was excellent - food was better then downstairs, no crowds, great view. If I stay at this hotel again in the future I'd try to get on the executive floor.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear bradleystat,

Thank you for taking time to share your review with us. Pleased be assured that we are looking into every area so as to provide all our guests with the high level of product quality. We look forward to welcoming you back at Swissôtel Merchant Court on your visit to Singapore. in the near future.

South Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

We preferred this architecturally older style hotel which offers up to date service with comfort and care. We enjoyed the pool area, restaurant and bar which overlooked the busy Clarke Quay but allowed us a more intimate and peaceful setting. It was a great location for our needs and very relaxing. We would be happy to visit again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Swissotel

Dear Bronwyn L,

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back at Swissôtel Merchant Court on your next visit to Singapore.

Fremantle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

The hotel was very nice but aging. The carpet in the bedroom was quite old and the bathroom needed maintenance. The balcony was dirty with food on the floor and was not cleaned for the 3 days we were there.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Swissotel

SingaporeMerchantCT, Public Relations Manager at Swissotel Merchant Court, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Rhona C,

Thank you for choosing Swissôtel Merchant Court on your visit to Singapore. Pleased be assured that we are looking into every area so as to provide all our guests with the high level of product quality. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Hyderabad
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

A typical old American/European style hotel. Rooms are big for its location. Great location if you want to party hard at Clarke quay. Bang on the Quay! Metro station is easily accessible which is a huge plus, close to Orchard road too. Food is decent. The rooms badly need up gradation, they are clean but look quite old. Doesn't have health faucet which should be a norm in Asian countries. Rooms facing the road are quite noisy. This is another drawback.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Scorpionxylo,

USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

Located near the central business district but only a 20 minute cab ride to my work location in Yishun. Easy to take in Clark Quay restaurants and Chinatown is also very nearby. The hotel is modern and very comfortable. Service good. Breakfast in the morning is a good mix of Euro/Asian food. Lastly, pool is big enough for lap swimming and workout facilities more than adequate.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Ken_LAF,

Thank you for your compliments. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to welcome you back at Swissôtel Merchant Court in the near future.

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Have stayed in many hotels in Singapore but reckon the position of S.M.C.is most important. $5 taxi to Casino at Marina bay......on good bus routes to China town ..Little India and the Arab district. M.R.T. next door under Central shopping centre and the whole island is at your disposal. The hotel is directly on the river at Clarke Quay. 7/11 just next door very handy.
Rooms are nothing special to write home about and hotel is getting old but staff are very cooperative ( usually next day) if you want a change of room for whatever reason. Pool area on level 2 is great for chilling out at night while observing the hordes down below. Very colourful.
Best location in Singapore.

Room Tip: level 2 for pool access