STS has so much potential to become THE hotel, but sadly nothing has changed. Can you imagine Club rooms with obsolete 14" LCD tvs? Maybe 15". Let's not even talk about the cheaper rooms. (OK to be fair club rooms now come with pillow menus and ipod docks). Is the hotel oblivious to competition? Or because it has certain advantages over others, management thinks they can continue selling rooms at prices sometimes even higher than swanky competitors? Nobody knows, but it's certainly not operating in an oligopoly.
Of course tourists are often awed by the views on the higher floors, because if you stay here there's no need to go the Flyer. But if the hotel is serious about attracting and retaining guests then surely it would spend big money on refufurbishing the whole place? Obviously not. The deluxe rooms are currently being redone (and they still come with CRT monitors) I was told, but these are on the lower floors. And what about the used-to-be expensive Crest suites? They still look exactly the same, nothing has changed since it was last maintained by Westin. No more colourful bed-covers, but that's just about it. SGD500 is reasonable, considering they're just charging you for the views and exclusiveness of sleeping on the 66th storey, and the use of a dated Bose system.
I was told the management (old) was very concerned with revenue, so when times were good, they couldn't be bothered with major upgrading as occupancy was always very high. (Though there were reports quoting former Raffles CEO Jennie Chua that they were planning to transform the top 6 six floors into exclusive club rooms but sadly nothing materialised). So whilst everyone was busy renovating and installing wifi, STS simply enjoyed the good times while it lasted. But now with a new owning company and lousy times, one wonders if they will sit down and rethink their strategy for the next 10 years. Will they continue to be proud of their greenish yellow bed board, or funky retro CRT TVs, your guess is as good as mine.
- Also Known As:
- Swissotel The Stamford Hotel
- Swissotel The Stamford Singapore
- Swissotel The Stamford Hotel Singapore
- Swissotel Stamford
- Swissotel Stamford Singapore
- Swissotel Singapore
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Conveniently located in the heart of Singapore, Swissôtel The Stamford is a deluxe hotel that boasts a prime Singapore location amid the diversions of the Raffles City shopping complex and just 20 minutes away from Singapore Changi International Airport. One of Southeast Asia's tallest hotel, Swissôtel The Stamford offers a luxurious range of 1,261 guestrooms and suites with a wealth of amenities and panoramic views of Singapore and Malaysia. It also boasts an impressive array of 16 restaurants and bars including the Equinox Complex, Singapore's most exciting dining and entertainment complex. The hotel also houses the 70,000sqft Raffles City Convention Centre which comprises 27 meeting venues with technologically advanced business facilities and services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Agoda, Travelocity, Booking.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Orbitz, Tingo, TripOnline SA, EasyToBook, Expedia, HotelTravel.com, Otel and Venere so you can book your Swissotel The Stamford reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.