“Good room and location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #39 of 294 Hotels in Singapore
West Sussex, United Kingdom
“Good room and location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Excellent views and balconies - not for theose with vertigo issues! Comfortable beds and large rooms. Free wifi in the room although a pain to log in every day and low quality connection for anything other than Internet surfing. Great location - the mrt is right below the hotel, there is a conference centre and shopping centre in the same building. Plenty of restaurants and walking distance from Marina Bay Sands and Gardens by the Bay.

While the wifi quality was a pain, my real issue was with the front desk staff who have slightly misplaced superiority complexes. Not unpleasant, just a bit supercilious. A real shame given the staff at the conference centre where I held an event were absolutely first class. I'll be checking the feedback from our event guests who I had placed in the hotel for their stays to check if they experienced the same

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of Marina Bay Sands and high up
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (973)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Townsville, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I stayed in 3 different hotels while in Singapore and this was the best. It is in a great location, close to Marina Bay Sands. The Resturant Equinox on the 70th floor is spectacular, the views are magnificant and the food is very nice, It costs a great deal to eat here but well worth it once for the views and experience. Rooms are quite nice, right next to shops and the train, so very close to most things. Staff were always trying to be helpful.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
TanBrian, Director of Quality at Swissotel The Stamford, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

We’re honoured to know that we’re the best among the 3 different hotels you stayed in. Your many compliments on our location, Equinox Restaurant, guestrooms and helpful staff are greatly appreciated.

Thank you for choosing Swissotel The Stamford!

Canberra
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Recently stayed in April after a few days in Sabah, we arranged a car to pick us up from the airport through the Hotel and the service was outstanding. When we arrived to the Hotel we found the service from the staff to exceed our expectations. I would happily recommend this Hotel to anyone wanting to travel to Signapore, the location was very central to our needs.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Swissotel

Dear Justin,

We are glad to hear that you had a fantastic stay and more so that your expectations were exceeded by our staff. Thank you for recommending Swissotel The Stamford!

Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I booked this hotel as a stay-cation for my family (me, wife and 2.5 year old son) having high expectations since the reviews were generally good and it was a 5 star hotel. Something must have gone seriously wrong in their service for me because the whole experience was horrible.

I booked a room requesting 1 king sized bed when I checked in, the guy doing my booking (his name was Jason) took a good 15 mins to check me in and ended up telling me that they only have a room with 2 queen sized beds. I was annoyed since my son could easily roll off a queen sized bed and it's not like they have those safety rails thing. He insisted saying that this room was excellent and had a great view. I relented because I did not want to make a scene and hold up the line. He gave me room 767 on the 7th floor.

When I went to the room, I was disappointed because the view was of some sparse trees and the mid section of a building. What view was this guy talking about? I couldn't see anything that was even remotely spectacular. Not only that, everything in the room was poorly maintained which I unfortunately learnt only while using the room and when it was too late to change. Here's the list of problems in the room:-

a) Bath tub was peeling and had a layer of waxy, slimy thing on it which couldn't be washed off.

b) The chrome on the sink trap was peeling. The trap was also grimy.

c) The faucets were also jammed and could not be turned on initially. I had to forcefully push the faucet so that the water could come out. What made it worse was a technician made a call into the room (I didn't call them) and he said that a housekeeper said the taps had no water which means it was faulty even before they assigned me the room.

d) The television was super dated, small and was of lousy resolution. The remote control buttons were not working properly (e.g. the navigation button on the remote.... Left or down did not move the cursor accordingly in the menu and instead moved in erratic ways. On off button did not work correctly either. Pressing a channel took 5 seconds before taking effect).

e) The aircon control was not working properly. For example, I could only turn the air con to Low, High or Off but not medium. The air con remote button was also erratic and sometimes the lights wouldn't come on.

f) The curtains smelt of cigarettes.

g) The toiletries were pathetic

h) The toilet flushing button was so rigid that it required me to press it with 2 hands and push it down really hard for it to flush. Single handed operation was difficult.

i) There was only a tub for both showering and soaking. Usually a 5 star hotel would have a dedicated bath tub and a shower area. No such thing here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Our sincere apologies for the inconveniences experienced during your recent stay. The issues you have highlighted are certainly unacceptable for our hotel’s standards.

We will reach out to your separately for more information to enable us to conduct a thorough follow-up and identify root causes with a view to prevent future occurrences.

Thank you for choosing Swissotel the Stamford!

Hartlepool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the Stamford for five nights on business from 21 April. This is the second time I have stayed there and think I got the same room on the 37th floor. Excellent views of Marina Bay Sands and Boat Quay. Great hotel and great city. Fantastic views but not the place to go for a pub crawl. £10 a pint in most paces and more in the posh hotels is prohibitive.
Rooms great and the breakfasts have everything you could wish for. Great position for the adjoining raffles mall and the Singapore train service. You can go anywhere in the country for less than £2.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Paul,

We’re elated to have you back again for the second time! Your compliments on the hotel’s excellent views, fantastic views, amazing room, breakfast spread and the convenient location.

Looking forward to your third visit!

Cranbrook
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

I love this hotel, I wanted to stay here longer and on a different weekend but it was booked out, so I booked it in the middle of my trip. It is close to Sentosa, and Marina Bay Sands. It rained one afternoon while we were there so they loaned up Umbrellas. The Resturant on the 70th floor is a must. It is an experience I will savour for a while. I didn't get a room with a view of Marina Bay Sands, which is part of the reason I picked this hotel, but the view of the city was still great. I will come back here again, and ask well in advance for a room with a view.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Swissotel

Dear Andrew,

Thank you for the many compliments, particularly on the memorable experience at Equinox Restaurant.

Indeed it is always preferable to reserve our harbor view rooms early. We hope you will get to enjoy our Classic Harbour View Room experience in your next visit!

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Stayed one night and have no complaints. It was a nice hotel, EXCELLENT location close to the raffles mall with a huge food court, lots of shopping as well as many other shopping areas w/in easy walking distance. Rooms were large, clean, our balcony had a great view but not of the marina bay sands area, linens were comfortable. There are some signs of wear and tear, it is an older property I think but no matter, it is lovely still.

The best part was that they let us check in early.. WAY early. Our flight arrived at 5am and by 6am we were all checked in and taking much needed showers and getting some food. That was a life saver.

Room service food is just okay but the presentation and service is impeccable. Room service trays stay in the hallways all day/night sometimes, which explain the bugs, but we didn't see any that were too scary.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

It makes us happy to know about your recent stay and we appreciate your positive comments on the spacious and clean room, great view, comfortable linens and the early check-in experience. Regarding the room conditions, we are glad to inform that plans are underway for refurbishment in the near future.

At the same time, we note your feedback on the room service trays and will make sure to take care of that.

Thank you for choosing Swissotel The Stamford!

Director of Quality

Been to Swissotel The Stamford? Share your experiences!