“Great hotel!!!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #49 of 301 Hotels in Singapore
Austin, Texas
“Great hotel!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Stayed here with my husband for 3 nights and we really enjoyed our stay. Our room was a "grand room" and had two balconies, a nice sitting room and a sunken tub in the bathroom. Service and housekeeping was very accommodating and prompt. The price was pretty reasonable as well for Singapore...about $250 USD per night for no refundable. Regular rate is $300 or so. Very convenient location- above a mall with good shopping and food options. And walkable to the arab street, little india, the esplanade, etc. Bed was a king and pretty firm, but wonderful down pillows and comforter. The gym is also very good....basically a full fitness facility with tons of equipment, treadmills and elliptically. Pool is amazing, too.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
TanBrian, Director of Quality at Swissotel The Stamford, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Dear Guest,

We are elated to hear that you had an amazing stay! Please rest assured that we will not rest on our laurels and continue our pursuit for excellence as our credo is having a Passion For Perfection.

Thank you for choosing Swissotel the Stamford!

Director of Quality

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,183)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

I've stayed on three separate business trips in the last few months. After coming off an 8 hour flight the last thing I want to do is haggle with check-in staff about my room allocation. Unfortunately I've had to do this 2 of the 3 times I've checked-in at the Swissotel.

On all 3 trips I had confirmed room reservation for a king bed (I'm pretty tall, hence specifically booking a king). On check-in the 1st time, I was "upgraded" to a better room. Was assured that even though it was a twin, they were queen size beds. I got to the room and they were doubles. Went back downstairs and asked for a room reallocation to the king that i had confirmed. Took a whlie to find an available room.

On 2nd trip last month, I was advised on check-in that the hotel was "pretty busy and full" so would be allocated into a twin. I complained to the check-in staff member that my booking print out specifically shows that I have been confirmed in a king room, not a twin. She had to go and talk to the manager and subsequently came back with a confirmed king bed room. When I finally wanted to go to sleep that evening, the blockout curtains wouldn't close all the way! Had a 1.5m gap when fully closed. Not sure how that happens. Hasn't been a problem in other rooms. On 3rd trip, I was allocated a king as per the booking confirmation.

I find it unacceptable when you are booked into a king room that on check-in you are bumped into other rooms. If I wanted a twin, I would have booked one. I complained about this via Swissotel on Twitter - was told it would be looked into and someone would get back to me - but as of today, I'm still waiting for a response. I'm not holding my breath.

Apart from that, rest of the stay at the hotel has been pretty good. Breakfast at Kopitiam or Cafe Swiss is essentially the same breakfast spread, Koptiam with a smaller selection. A good mix of western, asian and indian breakfast foods. Service in both restaurants is very good.

Concierge desk were very helpful with looking after my luggage during my final day and also showing me to a hospitality room where I could change and freshen up before my 8 hour flight home. A nice touch!

Pool is great. Gym is the best gym I've ever used in any hotel I've stayed at. Spa and steam rooms are also excellent.

Hotel is located directly above major shopping complex and City Hall MRT which makes it incredibly convenient to travel around Singapore on train. The famous Raffles Hotel is located literally next door.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Michael,

Our sincere apologies for the inconveniences. Your frustrations regarding the room allocation and faulty curtains are certainly understandable. We would be getting in touch with you offline for more information that will help us do a proper follow-up.

At the same time, we appreciate your compliments on the hotel’s service, breakfast spread, amenities and the convenience of the location.

We hope to welcome you back to Swissotel The Stamford!

Warm regards,
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

I stayed with my family (wife, mother and a one year old kid) at Swissotel for 3 nights in November. Really liked the location and the views of the marina bay sands it offers. The staff was quite helpful given that we had a one year old son. We had an early check in and a late check out and they were more than helpful in making sure we were comfortable. Location is just great. Only issue is that this hotel is just huge and always crowded.

Room Tip: Always go for the harbor view room and ask for higher floor rooms. We stayed on the 50th floor.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the compliments! We’re happy to hear that your family had a comfortable stay.

Looking forward to welcome you back again!

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I spent two nights in swissotel for staycation with family and I am extremely satisfied with the hotel. The rooms are spotlessly clean, spacious and well decorated. We booked a twin bedroom and each bed has a small bench at the foot specially useful for your luggage and shopping bags. I also love the complimentary TWG teas where you get to sample a variety of flavors.

Compared to the overcrowded marina bay sands where I stayed the night before and had to queue all the time from checking in to going to the pool, I definitely prefer the more low profile Swissotel. My brother who is a gym buff also raves about the fully equipped gym which according to him is by far the most complete yet from all the hotels he has checked into.

The hotel is located right beside cityhall mrt which is central to everything. Raffles City mall is adjacent to the hotel so everything is just an arm's reach. It is also just two train stations away from Orchard if you wish to scour more shopping options. I will definitely recommend swissotel to friends next time.

Restaurant Tip: There are a bunch of food choices downstairs from the popular coffee/croissant of tiong bahru bakery to the chinese dumplings of din tai fung. My family's personal favorite however is Asian Kitchen, a quick affordable food place that serves great roast duck and stir frys. The carrot cake from skinny pizza is also a must try. If you wake up very early and do not have breakfast included in your booking, do note that singapore does not have a lot of breakfast options. Food places usually open late and we were left with Mcdonald's at 7:00am.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Checked in last weekend for one night stay using our Feeds at Raffles voucher for the night. As we were in a hurry to check in, shower and change in order to attend a function at the Marina Bay Sands Convention Centre, we forgot to bring the voucher at the time of check in. The front destk staff, made us feel like criminals for not bringing the voucher and insistented we must be checked in with the voucher or else she will "charge a full night's fee". In order to save time and not run back to the car for the voucher, I offered her a credit card to stand by if we are unable to return later in the night with the voucher. She still refused. We just can not understand why she had to be so inflexible. After all the room is paid for and not FREE!
After running back to the car to retrieve the voucher, then queue again to check in we were late to the function.
Have to say the room is very standard and un-imaginative with a leaky shower that is really hard to turn off.
The pool is no better than the one at my own condo. Will definitely NOT stay again and always remember this bad experience.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Sherry,

Our sincere apologies for the inconveniences during your recent stay. Indeed, while we have procedures to prevent the abuse of vouchers, some flexibility can be accorded to guests on a case-by-case basis. We have directed your feedback to the front office for review and follow up.

Thank you for choosing Swissotel the Stamford.

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I made my booking one week before my arrival. I travelled solo, so I was very surprised when I got to my room only to see that it was a 2-bed room.

Requested to switch to a king-bed room. Took 2 hours for the room to be ready.

What bothers me the most is that the receptionist tried to blame me when he said that he informed me about the room when I checked in and I was fine with it. Yes, perhaps I've overlooked those details when he told me. But why on earth did you give a solo traveller a two-bed room? And I don't appreciate being blamed for your conduct.

Here's the second thing that annoyed me. I have a neurological stuttering disorder. That means I sometimes have a block -- physically unable to utter a word. I was asking the front desk for something and I had a stuttering block for around 10 seconds. And the receptionist kept rushing me -- "Pardon, pardon, pardon..." 5 or 6 times during those 10 seconds. I didn't expect this kind of insulting attitude from any decent human being, let alone a 5-star hotel. This is the worst reaction I got from hotel front-desks around the world.

To be fair, the hotel has great location and spacious rooms. The valets and bell-boys are friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Higher floor.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Our sincere apologies for the inconveniences. The issues you highlighted regarding the front desk service are not acceptable and we are investigating them with a view to prevent such future occurrences. At the same time, we appreciate your compliments on the hotel’s service, spacious room and great location.

Thank you for choosing Swissotel The Stamford.

Warm regards,
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

The staff here are very helpful and really friendly, they remember your names and which party you are with. The hotel is in a good area, you can walk to the Marina Bay, the Merlion, the Singapore Flyer, Clarke Quay, etc. The Raffles Hotel is a two minute walk, if that. There are shopping malls all over Singapore and this hotel is attached to a large mall, no need to walk outside of the hotel for anything! There are a number of restaurants and bars close by to walk to and there's also the food court in the basement floor of the shopping mall which has just about every type of food.

The rooms themselves are a little tired, but ok. The bathrooms need modernising as they are a bit old looking, not dirty, but you know they haven't been looked at for a while - although, the shower is good. Rooms have a desk and wired or wireless internet (expensive unless you have this included in your room rate). The balcony is great, you can get some really good views. The hotel is the tallest hotel in Singapore, so if you manage to get a room on higher floors, the view must be pretty impressive.

On the negative side, I found the room to be noisy, I could hear the rooms either side of me and there was a lot of outside noise which kept me awake. The hotel was extemely busy on check in and people were being told that they would have an hour and a half until rooms were cleaned and available - not what you want to hear after a long trip. I could understand that if I was checking in early morning, but not in the evening.

Only 15 mins in a taxi from Changi airport and cabs outside the hotel all of the time we were there. Breakfast buffet was a good mixture of Western and Asian foods, with eggs cooked to order. In all, a reasonable hotel, but just don't expect everything to be perfect.

Room Tip: Higher floors have great views, lower floors can be noisy.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for highlighting the positive points of your recent stay like the great location. At the same time, we note your feedback on the noise and check-in process. Rest assured that we will direct your feedback to the relevant departments for follow-up. Regarding the room and bathroom conditions, we are glad to inform that plans are underway for a refurbishment of guestrooms in the near future.

We hope to welcome you back soon!