“Great views” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
“Great views”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

I stayed with my family (wife, mother and a one year old kid) at Swissotel for 3 nights in November. Really liked the location and the views of the marina bay sands it offers. The staff was quite helpful given that we had a one year old son. We had an early check in and a late check out and they were more than helpful in making sure we were comfortable. Location is just great. Only issue is that this hotel is just huge and always crowded.

Room Tip: Always go for the harbor view room and ask for higher floor rooms. We stayed on the 50th floor.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
TanBrian, Director of Quality at Swissotel The Stamford, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the compliments! We’re happy to hear that your family had a comfortable stay.

Looking forward to welcome you back again!

Director of Quality

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,037)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I spent two nights in swissotel for staycation with family and I am extremely satisfied with the hotel. The rooms are spotlessly clean, spacious and well decorated. We booked a twin bedroom and each bed has a small bench at the foot specially useful for your luggage and shopping bags. I also love the complimentary TWG teas where you get to sample a variety of flavors.

Compared to the overcrowded marina bay sands where I stayed the night before and had to queue all the time from checking in to going to the pool, I definitely prefer the more low profile Swissotel. My brother who is a gym buff also raves about the fully equipped gym which according to him is by far the most complete yet from all the hotels he has checked into.

The hotel is located right beside cityhall mrt which is central to everything. Raffles City mall is adjacent to the hotel so everything is just an arm's reach. It is also just two train stations away from Orchard if you wish to scour more shopping options. I will definitely recommend swissotel to friends next time.

Restaurant Tip: There are a bunch of food choices downstairs from the popular coffee/croissant of tiong bahru bakery to the chinese dumplings of din tai fung. My family's personal favorite however is Asian Kitchen, a quick affordable food place that serves great roast duck and stir frys. The carrot cake from skinny pizza is also a must try. If you wake up very early and do not have breakfast included in your booking, do note that singapore does not have a lot of breakfast options. Food places usually open late and we were left with Mcdonald's at 7:00am.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Checked in last weekend for one night stay using our Feeds at Raffles voucher for the night. As we were in a hurry to check in, shower and change in order to attend a function at the Marina Bay Sands Convention Centre, we forgot to bring the voucher at the time of check in. The front destk staff, made us feel like criminals for not bringing the voucher and insistented we must be checked in with the voucher or else she will "charge a full night's fee". In order to save time and not run back to the car for the voucher, I offered her a credit card to stand by if we are unable to return later in the night with the voucher. She still refused. We just can not understand why she had to be so inflexible. After all the room is paid for and not FREE!
After running back to the car to retrieve the voucher, then queue again to check in we were late to the function.
Have to say the room is very standard and un-imaginative with a leaky shower that is really hard to turn off.
The pool is no better than the one at my own condo. Will definitely NOT stay again and always remember this bad experience.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Sherry,

Our sincere apologies for the inconveniences during your recent stay. Indeed, while we have procedures to prevent the abuse of vouchers, some flexibility can be accorded to guests on a case-by-case basis. We have directed your feedback to the front office for review and follow up.

Thank you for choosing Swissotel the Stamford.

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I made my booking one week before my arrival. I travelled solo, so I was very surprised when I got to my room only to see that it was a 2-bed room.

Requested to switch to a king-bed room. Took 2 hours for the room to be ready.

What bothers me the most is that the receptionist tried to blame me when he said that he informed me about the room when I checked in and I was fine with it. Yes, perhaps I've overlooked those details when he told me. But why on earth did you give a solo traveller a two-bed room? And I don't appreciate being blamed for your conduct.

Here's the second thing that annoyed me. I have a neurological stuttering disorder. That means I sometimes have a block -- physically unable to utter a word. I was asking the front desk for something and I had a stuttering block for around 10 seconds. And the receptionist kept rushing me -- "Pardon, pardon, pardon..." 5 or 6 times during those 10 seconds. I didn't expect this kind of insulting attitude from any decent human being, let alone a 5-star hotel. This is the worst reaction I got from hotel front-desks around the world.

To be fair, the hotel has great location and spacious rooms. The valets and bell-boys are friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Higher floor.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Our sincere apologies for the inconveniences. The issues you highlighted regarding the front desk service are not acceptable and we are investigating them with a view to prevent such future occurrences. At the same time, we appreciate your compliments on the hotel’s service, spacious room and great location.

Thank you for choosing Swissotel The Stamford.

Warm regards,
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

The staff here are very helpful and really friendly, they remember your names and which party you are with. The hotel is in a good area, you can walk to the Marina Bay, the Merlion, the Singapore Flyer, Clarke Quay, etc. The Raffles Hotel is a two minute walk, if that. There are shopping malls all over Singapore and this hotel is attached to a large mall, no need to walk outside of the hotel for anything! There are a number of restaurants and bars close by to walk to and there's also the food court in the basement floor of the shopping mall which has just about every type of food.

The rooms themselves are a little tired, but ok. The bathrooms need modernising as they are a bit old looking, not dirty, but you know they haven't been looked at for a while - although, the shower is good. Rooms have a desk and wired or wireless internet (expensive unless you have this included in your room rate). The balcony is great, you can get some really good views. The hotel is the tallest hotel in Singapore, so if you manage to get a room on higher floors, the view must be pretty impressive.

On the negative side, I found the room to be noisy, I could hear the rooms either side of me and there was a lot of outside noise which kept me awake. The hotel was extemely busy on check in and people were being told that they would have an hour and a half until rooms were cleaned and available - not what you want to hear after a long trip. I could understand that if I was checking in early morning, but not in the evening.

Only 15 mins in a taxi from Changi airport and cabs outside the hotel all of the time we were there. Breakfast buffet was a good mixture of Western and Asian foods, with eggs cooked to order. In all, a reasonable hotel, but just don't expect everything to be perfect.

Room Tip: Higher floors have great views, lower floors can be noisy.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for highlighting the positive points of your recent stay like the great location. At the same time, we note your feedback on the noise and check-in process. Rest assured that we will direct your feedback to the relevant departments for follow-up. Regarding the room and bathroom conditions, we are glad to inform that plans are underway for a refurbishment of guestrooms in the near future.

We hope to welcome you back soon!

Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Stay in this hotel on my 5th visit to Singapore and Explore Singapore in different way. The high floor is recommended for those who dare.

Check in was nice and the staff are very friendly. At first we get the poor room condition but with some small complaint, they move us to higher floor and better room condition.
The room was quiet, but small bathroom.

Excellent location right on top of City Hall MRT station and Rafless City Shopping center. Walk distance to Esplanade and Merlion.

Room Tip: Choose high floor facing Marina. Check the room before check in. Some room has not finished refurbi...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Tommy,

We’re glad that you enjoyed your recent stay and greatly appreciate your compliments on the hotel’s service, staff, great view and the excellent location.

Thank you for choosing Swissotel The Stamford!

Warm regards,
nagpur
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I booked this hotel for the wonderful singapore city views it offers. While making the internet booking i chose the option of harbour view room (which was expensive than others). And also mentioned in special request column to give the room with best views. To my great surprise i recived the mail from the hotel staff two days before my arrival date that i have been upgraded to suit room. But when we checked in the upgraded room did not have better views. So i asked for the room with a view which i paid for. The lady at the reception was not expecting this but she made the necessary changes. This took around an hours time which was kinda irritating.
But rest of the stay was good. Hotel is connected to two metro stations and a mall. Breakfast was good with wide spread of food but was expensive. So next day we had a breakfast at breadtalk outlet inside the mall. There is a mcdonalds and kfc at the ground level. Thats convinient for a quick lunch (saves some bucks too :-) )
Overall we enjoyed our vacation stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
TanBrian, Director of Quality at Swissotel The Stamford, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear Guest,

We’re so glad to know you enjoyed your recent stay and appreciate your compliments of the hotel’s convenient locality and the wide breakfast spread. At the same time, we note your feedback on the reservation and check-in experience and will direct it to the relevant departments for follow-up.

Thank you for choosing Swissotel the Stamford!

Director of Quality

Been to Swissotel The Stamford? Share your experiences!