I am disappointed with this hotel. I stayed at the exec premier floor room with access to the premier lounge. I am comparing it with The Hilton Exec Rm with access to exec lounge.
The Novotel room was much smaller! Fixtures and fittings were just ordinary. Everything was open - there isn't any drawers by the bedside to put any books or reading materials. There is also no wardrobe drawers for that matter. It's just a square room. Lightings could be improved upon. There is no bedside reading lights by the side. And there is only 1 bedside pedestal (without any drawers). What kind of an exec room is this? I mean, the Hilton's exec room is so spacious, well furnished and wonderfully bright with good lightings and ample cabinets to keep our stuff.
The TV, though LCD, was only 21" (compare this with Hilton's 37" or 42" mounted on the wall) and the proprietary cable TV remote control is frustrating as I have to keep on pressing the "up" button when I switched on the TV to get to CNN or Discovery, as there are no buttons for the digits to be entered. There is a DVD player alright - but it could not play my DVDs, even after 2 changes by the technician (he took the DVDs from other rooms on the same floor for me). I was told later by the receptionist at the premier lounge that the DVD players could only play Code 3 discs (Asean region), which baffles me, because the clientele are mainly Europeans and cabin crew staff from Middle East. Surely hotels need to have a multi-player system?
The good thing about the toilet is that the bath and the shower stalls are separate. Having said that, the housekeeping is a bit mean in issuing towels. Only 2 were issued out per day. There are 2 toilet holders, but one was so loose that whenever I pulled on it, the whole toilet roll dropped to the floor!
There is a small balcony, and being at level 24, this was one of the better features of the hotel - having a scenic and wonderful view of Singapore's skyline. I got the housekeeping maid to open up the sliding door for me, so that whenever I get depressed seeing the size of my so called "exec room", I simply escape to the balcony.
Service - was also mediocre. Although the premier lounge staff were courteous, they were not overwhelming in their hospitality, unlike the exec lounge staff from the Hilton. For example, we took a bottle of fruit juice, drank it halfway and decided to go back to our room, only to be told that it is meant to be fully consumed within the lounge area!
The premier lounge food? pales in comparison to the Hilton's. Nothing is being offered here after breakfast - no cookies, no finger foods, no cakes or tartlets. Only drinks. Have to wait till 6pm when evening cocktails start. Even then, the range of food wasn't as good.
The lounge though offers 2 Apple PCs connected by broadband for use by those having access to the lounge. This is a plus point. But I am used to PCs operating on Microsoft windows OS.
And one last bit of annoying fact is that you have to get to the 7th floor where the hotel check-in desk is located. This means you have to use the hotel lift from your room to the hotel lobby at 7th floor, walk to the shopping centre's connecting lift across the lobby and go down to street level. It's just a hassle after some time for us.
So you can understand my disappointment when I have to compare the rooms, the different treatment and the services.
- Also Known As:
- Novotel Singapore Clarke Quay Hotel
- Novotel Singapore Clarke Quay Hotel Singapore
- Novotel Clarke Quay Singapore
- Novotel Clarke Quay
- Singapore Novotel
- Novotel Singapore Clarke Quay
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Novotel Singapore Clarke Quay combines convenience and comfort in the center of town. This 4-star hotel is the perfect choice for your next business trip or holiday, and is located close to the famous shopping paradise of Orchard Road and the Suntec City Convention Center. Featuring 403 beautifully appointed rooms, plus a Premier Lounge, Novotel Singapore Clarke Quay offers great conference facilities, plus an outdoor swimming pool, a bar, and three restaurants serving local and international cuisine. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, ACCOR, Priceline, Travelocity, Otel and Tingo so you can book your Novotel Singapore Clarke Quay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.