“Some Welcoming Fragrance?!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #68 of 294 Hotels in Singapore
Kuala Lumpur
“Some Welcoming Fragrance?!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Sometimes when you walk into a new place, some of the sight and sound would give you a quick 2 seconds lasting impression - and this hotel is in fact the first one that gave me the one eye brow type of facial expression. It's one of those hotel that has their lobby up on Level 7, and when the lift opens, that welcoming fragrance overwhelms you a little. You would look around for the source, and it could not have been the fresh flowers around. It was not a stench or anything, but it's not a comfortable smell. I did not like it very much really.

I arrived past midnight, so obviously I was tired and hoped that I would be able to check in quickly. I was surprised that it took me quite a while, to even get to the correct room was also quite a story. I always and insist on a King Sized bed (KSB) and non-smoking. The rest of my request are secondary, but I will and do not tolerate if I do not get those two criterias into my stay.

Before being handed of the key card, I specifically remind him that I wanted to have KSB and the room must be non-smoking. Sometimes, travel agents are not very good in passing the message around. Bad enough, I have to wait quite a while at the counter, 2 front desk personnel vs. 3 patrons, you would think "how slow would this process be, right?" Yes, I believe I had to wait a good 15 minutes before it was my turn. Well, he said that they were going to upgrade me for free. I accepted that with thanks - though I am not hard up for such fortunes.

When I walked into my 1st room - I could already run amok, smelling the cigarette smell lingering. I double checked and indeed the cleaned ash tray was there and there were two nicely tugged in single beds! So I picked up the phone and called "downstairs", requesting for a change of room. He then told me that there were no more rooms available - and was trying to persuade me to stay in there. I was not going to accept that, and if I had to pay for higher category I would. He called me after 5 minutes, sending the porter up with the new key cards. I opened the door, the porter just handed me the key, swapped with mine, and then walked me to the lift. Now even in smaller towns in Malaysia, porters will ensure that I am escorted to the right room, but here, the guy just walked to the lift lobby, while he took to go down and I took to go right up. And this is the same guy, who stuff the luggage trolley into the small lift, and asked me to go up with him. Luckily, I requested him to scoot the trolley towards his side a bit - but otherwise wouldn't be squeezing my face against some body else's shirts, coats etc. OK, so that was the same guy - I shouldn't have expected better service.

The new room was nice and cozy. So that's a good thing on this trip. 2116 has a view of the Marina Bay Sands from afar, and certain parts of the Quay below. So if you like some views, try to choose rooms of that side. Nothing spectacular though, the hot water is only luke warm-cold, so that can be a problem for little children. But one thing that stands out for me is that the emergency torch light (yes, it was working) is situated in the living space, under the TV console, openned and easily reachable; and not tucked somewhere in the wardrobe or toilet (unless you are do hide & spend most of your time in the hotel in those places - SMILE). So, I feel that the design of the room did take some safety points into consideration and that's very well appreciated.

Internet connection was wifi. Pretty decent speed.

Location wise - literally next to food haven of Clarke Quays which has an international variety of food. Some restaurants are quiet enough to be able to conduct work dinners there. The awesome thing about the place is that, even at 1030pm, the quay is still quite busy with people. Not crowded but just busy. Also on the Ground Floor, there is a Seven 11, and a box of 16 pcs Paracetamol may cost you up to SGD20/ USD17. So always bring your own.

When I checked out, the smell at the lobby was still there. Quite uncomfortable. Will I come back again? Not if I absolutely need to. Good thing my HQ office is moving soon from that area.

*******
Nothing much to do with the hotel, but you like hotels which have the reception on the ground floor, this is not a place for you. Otherwise, it's quite okay provided you get the type of room you requested for.

Room Tip: If you like the view of the Marina Bay Sands & the sea, choose on the sides of 2116 and as high...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
NovotelSingapore, Manager at Novotel Singapore Clarke Quay, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your concern, effort and time taken to share a comprehensive review of your recent stay here at Novotel Singapore Clarke Quay.

Novotel hotels are designed for natural living hence there is a lemongrass scent in our Reception area at the 7th floor. We regret that this caused you some discomfort and we will forward your comments to our Housekeeping Team for further review and discussion.

While we make every effort to accommodate all our guests’ requests to ensure a comfortable and pleasant stay, we are unfortunately unable to provide it at all times, especially when we are experiencing high or full occupancy. Kindly accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience you experienced.

We are pleased to hear that a room change and a complimentary room upgrade was arranged for you and that you found Room 2116 nice and cozy; however, it is concerning to hear how your room change was facilitated. We thank you for highlighting the service shortfall you experienced as it enable us to identify where we need to focus our trainings on, in order to maintain our high standards for our valuable guests. Please rest assured that your feedback regarding the staff you encountered has been briefed to the department managers concerned for constructive action.

On a positive note, we are delighted that you appreciate the design of the room and the location of the hotel.

We are truly grateful for you feedback and we sincerely hope that you would give us another opportunity to restore your faith in our hotel on your future trip to Singapore. Please do contact us directly through H5993-FO14@accor.com on you next visit and we shall ensure that all your room preferences are met and that you have a memorable stay.

Assistant Manager - Quality Services

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (518)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Our family of four stayed here in April and were not overly impressed.
I booked a couple of months in advance, told them we had 2 kids and we expected the room to be made up to suit. We were never contacted or asked further questions before our arrival. Booking said room would suit family of 4.
On arrival we were asked for an additional $65 per child (room was already over $300 a night) inc brekky. I showed them copies of the email I sent them, but they still wanted the extra. In the end we were given a room with 2 King singles and 1 extra bed for no additional charge. Still a hassle you don't need and leaves a sour taste in your mouth.
The buffet brekky is very spread out over a large area, but in all honesty I've had far better selections for $3 at smaller hotels.
The pool was closed (due to urgent repairs), I understand this, but don't understand not being informed before arrival and the fact the hotels continued to advertise the pool during our stay (an offence in Australia). There was a tiny pool for use at another hotel about 7 mins by taxi away. Real hassle, had to sign in, keep receipts and wait to claim on return. Very dissapointed in whole arrangement. Would have looked elsewhere.
Doubt I will be back. Negitives far outweighed the positives.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
NovotelSingapore, Manager at Novotel Singapore Clarke Quay, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for making Novotel Singapore Clarke Quay your home during your recent visit to Singapore and for the time you have taken to share your experience with us.

We regret to hear that you encountered some issues during your stay and we are truly sorry for the inconveniences you experienced.

Bookings for 2 adults and 2 children are indeed possible for some of our room categories based on the existing bedding configuration indicated in the room description on our website as well as on the confirmation letters sent to our guests. However, extra beds may be arranged at an additional charge. We are concerned that this was not communicated to you when you made the booking thus we would like to look into this further. If you could e-mail us your booking details through H5993-FO14@accor.com, it will be greatly appreciated.

We also note your disappointment with the buffet breakfast at The Square. We appreciate all feedback we receive as it will assist us in our on-going efforts to improve our products and services; hence we welcome your thoughts and suggestions on your preferred breakfast items and we shall highlight it to our Food & Beverage Manager accordingly.

While we appreciate your understanding on the urgent repair works to our swimming pool area, we are sorry to hear of the hassle that it has caused you. Please rest assured that our website has since been updated with the details of the swimming pool closure.

Once again, we appreciate the opportunity you have given us to identify areas where improvement is needed and we sincerely apologize that your stay was not a pleasant one.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

We booked the Novotel as we needed somewhere for our last night in Singapore and wanted to stay central near Clarke quay especially close to the mrt as we were leaving early the next day. We'd booked a double deluxe and upon checking in were told that they would upgrade us to a better room, as we entered our room we noticed two single beds as opposed to the double bed we had paid for and requested. On seeing this we went back to reception and expressed our dissatisfaction as it wasn't an upgrade but the same room with two singles. We were then told that they were fully booked with doubles and that they would upgrade to a king size room which was supposedly much more spacious, the room however was exactly the same size but with a double bed (which is what we had originally booked) and the bathroom was a lot smaller than expected. The only upgrade was that we were on the 22nd floor which had a view of the marina bay. One of the reasons we chose the hotel was that we had a couple of hours the next day in which we wanted to go for a swim and it was only when we were checked in and in the room that we saw a notice stating the pool was closed due to renovation for six weeks. The hotel offered to pay taxi fares to a sister hotel but with limited time we were unable to do this. We felt this should have been stated in the website at the time of booking. Breakfast was not inclusive and for £130 per night we felt that it did not deliver. We appreciate that Clarke quay is an expensive place to stay however I wouldn't recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013
NovotelSingapore, Manager at Novotel Singapore Clarke Quay, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Novotel Singapore Clarke Quay on your last night here in Singapore.

While we sincerely appreciate your effort in writing a review of our hotel here on TripAdvisor, we regret that we were unable to provide your desired level of service during your stay. Kindly accept our sincerest apologies for the inconveniences you experienced.

We make every effort to ensure our guests’ full satisfaction with every aspect of their stay hence we are surprised to hear of the issues you encountered during check-in. In order for us to understand your experience further, we would be very grateful if you could provide us with your booking details through H5993-FO14@accor.com; this will allow us to address the issues which caused an unsatisfactory arrival experience for you.

We also regret to note your disappointment with the closure of our swimming pool during your stay. Due the waterproofing issues we were experiencing in the surrounding area of the swimming pool, immediate repair works were needed in order to ensure the safety and security of all our guests. However, please rest assured that our website has since been updated with the details of the on-going repair works.

At Novotel, we strongly believe that constant improvement is possible through guests’ feedback; thus, we thank you for sharing your experience with us and we look forward to hearing from you.

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Stayed at the Novotel Clarke Quay and absolutely fantastic. Novotel is close to restaurants, and shopping at China Town and Little India is also very easy accessible by bus, MRT or taxi. Clarke Quay is also where you can get a river cruise out to Marina Bay. The Novotel staff are always very helpful and eager to please so enjoy a holiday and enjoy Novotel Clarke Quay.

RH

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Hobart, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Paid top dollar, bed pushed against wall, so you would have to crawl over the person next to you to get out ( changed rooms), called room service did not turn up, bar service poor and very hard to understand, all in all not happy with service, two other couples we spoke to were also unhappy with rooms, and service.
Stayed with Novotel in Saigon and Nha Trang, service was great, rooms great and they could not do enough for you ( Nha Trang - brilliant) ).
Very dissapointed Singapore not the same, may be they should look at Nha Trang's for training.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

NovotelSingapore, Manager at Novotel Singapore Clarke Quay, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Accorhotels.com traveler,

Thank you for choosing Novotel Singapore Clarke Quay as your home during your recent trip to Singapore.

We sincerely appreciate your effort and the time you have taken to share your experience during your stay with us. It is through guests’ constructive feedback like yours that we are able to identify where improvement is needed to maintain our high standards for our valued guests; as such we are truly thankful.

We do have a very limited number of those rooms given the design and structure of the hotel and we deeply regret the inconvenience that it has caused you.

It is our goal to ensure all our guests have a comfortable and pleasant stay with us; hence we share your disappointment with the service you received from some of our team members. This is certainly not the service standard that we strive to achieve thus please rest assured that your comments have been escalated to the department managers concerned and we will step-up on our training efforts to ensure that our team provides only the highest level of service to all of our guests.

Once again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with us and we sincerely hope that you could give us an opportunity to extend you the real Novotel experience on your future trip to Singapore.

Helsinki
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Location couldn't be better. Next to Clarke Quay and minutes away from Raffles City by walking. Orchard Road is around 15 mins by walking, 5 SGD by taxi. High rise building means nice view night time. If possible, ask view towards Marina Bay Sands, looks great at dark. Nice pool area with sunbathing chairs and showers. High quality breakfast was a bit expensive but that's the way it goes in Singaporean hotels. Grocery store in the basement, at the same mall with a high quality book store with nice selection of international magazines and newspapers. I can really recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for room facing Marina Bay Sands.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
NovotelSingapore, Manager at Novotel Singapore Clarke Quay, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a pleasant feedback about our hotel here on Trip Advisor.

The hotel is indeed, located in the heart of Clarke Quay - Singapore’s dining and entertainment hub. We are delighted to know that you found the location of the hotel to your favor and that you had a nice and comfortable stay with us during your recent trip to Singapore

Your encouraging comments will certainly motivate our team in our continuous efforts to provide the best service experience to all of our guests.

On behalf of the entire Novotel team, thank you very much for your patronage and we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

This hotel couldn't be better location wise. The rooms are clean and shower was perfect! View was also very lovely and good service. I personally felt my experience in Singapore was better just because I had a good hotel to go back to. Recommended.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Been to Novotel Singapore Clarke Quay? Share your experiences!