“Location, location, location... that's pretty much it” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Singapore River Cruise
Ranked #70 of 291 hotels in Singapore
Mumbai
“Location, location, location... that's pretty much it”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Booked this hotel basis reviews on tripadvisor. Stayed five nights.

The location is fantastic, unless you are a shopoholic that wants to stay hugged to Orchard Road. A great view of the Marina Bay and Singapore River is great to wake up to. 7/11 and Starbucks in the same building, another plus; but that's mostly where the positives stop.

Rooms: are small, TV stations are extremely limited, poor video quality. The tap water barely has any force, just above a trickle. No directory of services, spa options (didn't know if the hotel had one). The switches/controls extremely unintuitive.

Service: Room service ends at 10.30!! Called the room service at 11.30 pm, nobody picked up. Tried operater after multiple rings, told that I would get a call back. No luck till midnight. Called again, rudely told that I would be called back. No call back from room service/operator. My wife had a sprain, the hotel does not have a first aid kit! Was again rudely told to go to the 7/11 thats open 24*7... Another occassion- no response at the concierge desk.. so much for hospitality.

Staff: Reception/operators range between curt to rude.

Changing lifts at the 7th level (reception) is quite irritating.

There is no free wifi.

One bathrobe for two people, was not replaced after the first two nights.

The tariff per night was steep for the service/room size/no breakfast/no wifi

If you want to stay next to Clark Quay and forget the rest, Novotel is the place. Else best to explore other options.

Room Tip: Ask for a Marina facing room
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

3,382 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (405)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

My company and I had an extremely unpleasant experience at Novotel. I had booked not 1 but 3 rooms for 2 nights each at this hotel to accommodate my international guests. I called to give specific instructions for them not to ask my guests for their credit card to guarantee the rooms and took the trouble to give them my full credit details as a guarantee for the room instead.

However, when my guests arrived at the hotel, the hotel overlooked my instructions (which I called 3 times to specify) and took my guest's credit card placing a hold on it for the amount for two rooms. As it was the wee hours of the morning I could not be contacted and my guest had no choice but to agree.

The next day upon going to the hotel, I settled by card for 2 rooms, with the instructions that the 3rd room would be paid for by cash upon checkout. I specifically asked the hotel when the hold amount on the credit cards would be released and the assured me it would be immediate.

To my horror, on the monday, AFTER checkout on sunday and when all payment had been FULLY settled. My international guest informed me that the amount on her card had not been released yet. I called the hotel and asked them to call the bank and ensure the funds were released.

To my utter disbelief on tuesday, when attempting to use my card that had been the guarantee card for the room, it was declined. I called my bank who informed me that there was a $700 earmark placed on my card by the hotel. TWO DAYS after checkout. Even though my card had already been deducted for the price of the room stay! I had checked the account the night before and there was no earmark then.

Extremely frustrated I called the hotel where a girl on the phone told me that it would take 3-4 days to release my funds. What nonsense is this when my rooms were fully paid for 2 days prior? I had no choice but to inconvenience myself by going all the way down to the hotel to try to settle this issue. While at the hotel, it took them almost an hour to look into the case, and they were still not able to trace the problem, insisting they did not have an amount placed on my card. I had to go through the hassle of calling the bank to ask them to call the hotel and tell them there was indeed an earmark in their name.

The hotel repeatedly tried to insist they did not double charge the card and it was only a verification amount. Nonetheless, this amount directly froze my funds and caused me great inconvenience, and it does not make sense. I have stayed in numerous hotel in this country and across the region who release funds immediately upon checkout. And there is definitely no reason why this should happen two days after checkout!

Despite the huge inconvenience, waste of my time and the loss of reputation for my company due to the inconvenience caused to my client. Novotel's best attempt at compensation to me was to offer me free breakfast and internet on my next stay! I reiterated to them that this was hardly adequate, and requested a good rate (not even complimentary stay) on one of their suite rooms as I was holding another event this week. After several hours deliberation, Novotel called to inform me that they would do no more than free breakfast and wifi.

I have stayed at numerous hotels, some who have even offered me a free night's stay simply because my room's cleanliness was not up to par. And Novotel's pitiful attempt, with all the inconvenience caused to me was free breakfast which most hotels provide free anyway!

Completely disgusted with my experience. This hotel clearly does not know how to treasure it's guests and have a very flawed payment system.

I encourage anybody staying at this hotel to be wary when giving them your credit card, as I was informed by the staff that this overlap between deduction and holding amount was something that had happened more than once. And yet they do nothing about it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
NovotelSingapore, Manager at Novotel Singapore Clarke Quay, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Dear Leanna,

Thank you for choosing the Novotel Singapore Clarke Quay for your recent stay.

Firstly, let me apologise for the miscommunication regarding your credit card details to be used as guarantee for payment for the other rooms. We understand this is an important area of our guarantee process and I can assure you that we have reviewed our procedures.

I must also inform you that after investigating your transactions with your credit card we have found out that the hotel staff followed the hotels pre-authorisation policies and procedures when making transactions on your credit card. This is standard hotel procedure to take a pre-authorisation amount on all guests credit cards upon arrival to the hotel.

I have found out that the hotel released your funds immediately however we do not have any control on what authorisation delays the issuing bank may enforce.

Again, let me apologise for your inconvenience with this whole situation and we hope to welcome you back again in the futue.

if you have any further questions or queries please do not hesitate to contact me directly on my email address which is h5993-gm1@accor.com

Kind Regards,
Rhys Challenger
Resident Manager
Novotel Singapore Clarke Quay
Darwin, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

I have stayed at Novotel several times now and just love the situation of the place right on the Singapore River and amongst restaurants and bars and shopping areas plus all the boat cruises that are available within walking distance. Regarding the staff they are always willing to help in anyway possible.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

excellent location with eateries / malls around .. easy access into the city ... nice and clean breakfast area with various food options available ... nice lobby ... I saw many holiday travellers too in group tour ... I got an upgrade room at the higher floor ... value for money and would definitely return to this hotel when in Singapore ...

Room Tip: choose the pool side (at higher floor) room for great view ....
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
fribourg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

In a city where it's difficult to find good value for money hotels, this place is far more reasonable. Right at the heart of the Quay, it's easily accessible, and well-located. The rooms are quite standard of hotel chains, same old reliable style. The hotel is also child friendly so they've set up a crib for our baby, and we had all what we need in the room.
There are lots of nightlife spots around, restaurants, easy to access supermarket just down stairs of the hotel.
We had nice views from our room, overlooking Singapore.
Only downside, I think is the pool. It seems to be shared with the hotel next door, so you had all sorts of people on the pool. It's already quite small, so got very crowded pretty quickly. Also the access of the pool was quite strange, you had to go in front of the Indian restaurant with people in their fancy dresses, and you in your pool- so it was a bit awkward.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Hotel is linked to the shopping mall with lots of eateries around. In times when weather is bad, u are covered. location of this hotel is easily accessible to shopping malls within walking distance. At night, take a walk around clarke quay and feel the ambience.In the lobby area, they have a corner to keep kids occupy - if i remember correctly is xbox 360.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Novotel Singapore Clarke Quay? Share your experiences!