“Excellent hotel great location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mandarin Orchard Singapore

You added Mandarin Orchard Singapore to your Saves list
Mandarin Orchard Singapore
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   333 Orchard Road, Singapore 238867, Singapore (Orchard Road)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
$1 package
Ranked #84 of 300 Hotels in Singapore
Sandy, United Kingdom
“Excellent hotel great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2009

Spent New Year in Singapore at the Meritus Mandarin and was very impressed from the moment we arrived. The atrium is an amazing sight as you step from the lifts. The room was a good size with a balcony, which is unusual in a city hotel. The views from the balcony were stunning - Singapore flyer, Merlion and the Marina. Had the buffet breakfast once. Good food but a bit pricey, you can find cheaper alternatives a 5 minute walk away in the adjoining shopping mall. A great base for exploring this fabulous city.

• Liked — Location and great atrium
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Adelaide
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2009

We stayed at the hotel for one night as a stop over and to do some shopping. We booked through Qantas and it was NOT cheap.
The position is good (central) however that is where the good things about this hotel end. The service was appalling - we waited 2 hours for our luggage to be brought to our room after check-in despite numerous phone calls to the bell captain (who didn't answer their phone) and then to guest services. On checkout we took our own luggage downstairs after waiting over 1/2 hour for the porter to attend and having given up.
The hotel was obviously busy however I have stayed at other busy hotels many times that have adequate staff to cope with the demand - this was clearly not so in this case. Lets face it if they treat their staff the way they treat their guests I wouldn't work for them!!
Breakfast was complimentary to our room rate however when we traipsed over to the other tower for breakfast there were 50+ people waiting to be seated and we were told the wait would be an hour to be seated.
The rooms were clean however the decor is tired - circa 1980's and the bathroom was tired also. There were empty plastic bottles (obviously form the previous guests) left in the room on our arrival.
We had a late departing flight with private car transfer to the airport so left our luggage at the Meritus in storage. Our driver was to collect us from the Meritus at 8.45pm. He attended at 8.30 pm and was told by the Meritus staff that we had left for the airport (even though they had our bags still!!). Fortunately for us he waited anyway and we left as arranged. Our driver told us that comments such as ours were common in people staying at this hotel.
If you are considering staying at this hotel my advise to you is DON'T DO IT!!!!! There has got to be a better one than this in Singapore that is central.

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — the position
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cardiff , South Wales
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2009

This hotel is undergoing major work. We have stayed here before and the rooms are nice but do not stay here until the work is completed. Unless you get put in the wing where the work is not being done ie not the Orchard Wing or unless you get put on the top floors you will hear the noise from the construction work which starts around 9am and finishes around 7pm.

We were on the 13th Floor but made sure we were moved as the noise was too great to sleep etc. We were upgraded and couldn't hear it on the 27th floor but you're taking a risk if you stay here at this time.

I would book somewhere else for now.

Staff as always were great and breakfast excellent etc. it's just the construction and noise.

• Liked — Staff and Breakfast
  • Disliked — Noise and Construction
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2009

Renovation was a pain in the backside. Rooms were too small. The premier room they put us in had some big massage chair that took up all the space in an already small room. Bathroom fitout was good but the luggage took forever to come. They need proper chairs and a little table so that both people can sit and at least have a cup of tea. NOT WORTH THE MONEY!!!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Room
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2008

Hotel surrounding having renovation,but causes inconvenience to the guest & patron.
Good location hotel, but services need a upgrade!!!
Very bad services from bell staff. deliveries of luggage takes a very long time, as the staff travel a long journey from one tower to the other. Luggage black in colour upon reaching the room became white, due to the amount of dust, it collected travelling from one location to another, suspect might be going thru' the renovation site.....
Poor staffing planning, not enough service staff at the outlet, also no smiling face from the service crew.
End of the day, was a good reputation hotel but turns into a low-class hotel.

Stayed December 2008
Alassio, Italy
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2008

Stayed 4 nights, on business, from Dec 2 to 6. The first time I stayed here, in 2006, I had a most enjoyable experience: my deluxe (=standard) room was in the Grand tower, large, well appointed and with modern Asian decoration; and I saw high standards of service and hospitality all the time.

Now, just two year on, it seemed a different hotel. A relatively impersonal welcome, no non smoking king size bedroom available at checkin. On their proposal to accept a smoking room to have a king size bed, I accepted as in my experience, smoking floors in most good hotels have no appreciable smell. Bad decision - I was wrong. The so called deluxe room in the South tower was smelly, medium sized, furnished like a 1980’s Hilton, and with a queen size bed at best, and even modest bedding linen. To my disappointment, I quickly found two long female hairs in the bathroom (the cleaner’s, I guess).

My first breakfast at the Mandarin Ballroom was just barely ok, with unattentive service by distracted waiters. Large choice but amazingly no jam/marmalade anywhere unless you asked, and if you do so they bring you one small jar only…

For the first time in my life, I reported my early disappointing experiences to the manager on the feedback form three nights before leaving.

On day 3 I even had to give up breakfast: a long queue for seating was being handled by just one poor lady, left alone by a number of lazy staff. After a ten minute wait and recognizing I would not have made it in time, I gave up but did contact the manager on duty to complain and at least recoup the breakfast share of my room rate.

Later on that day I received an email with apologies from the hotel manager who offered my to exchange my room (too late) and to be a guest at the executive clubroom for drinks and breakfast on the final morning (I accepted the latter). This was one of the few professional gestures I observed during my stay. Well, there may have been other satisfactory moments and aspects, but at the Meritus Mandarin due to my experience and expectations, I expected a flawless Asian experience.

There's lots of renovation going on, with consequences such as main lobby not in use, gym temporarily set up in conference rooms, and pool not available, but this is short term and more understandable.

This time overall the Meritus looked more like a tourist class hotel, despite its ambition to be much more than that. Not sure if I’ll give them another chance, with so many good hotels in Singapore.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Poor service for Singapore standards
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2008

i was a walk-in and stayed for 2 nights at SDG350 a night. it was a friend's wedding and it seems like a good occasion to splurge on hotel to hang out with friends.

the room is really nice and spacious. clean with good linen and mattress. the shower was quite impressive, with the many spa nozzle spraying out - fun but slightly too painful for me to appreciate.

the location couldnt be better. opposite is Hereen shopping center, and Cineleisure on the right. The other major shopping centers are just about 5 minutes away with Orchard and Somerset MRT stations also 5 minutes away. You can dump your shopping bags and resume your shopping crusade easily.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — price
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Mandarin Orchard Singapore? Share your experiences!