“Convenient location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #85 of 291 hotels in Singapore
Bali, Indonesia
“Convenient location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I have stayed couple times in this hotel. I love the location. It is really in central of Orchard Road and near the best shopping malls in Singapore. You walked one block to get to MRT. Easy to find taxi. You can find cinema in the mall behind hotel. You can find that tourist needs around the hotel.
Hotel staff are professional if not really friendly. The room is standard but in good condition and clean. They clean the room and give additional fresh towel everyday. No complaint at all. Now Hotel lobby has sofa to sit while waiting available reception to serve you, back in January 2011 there was no sofa at all. The concierge staff are helpful and fast.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Mandarin_Orchard, General Manager at Mandarin Orchard Singapore, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Thank you for your feedback which is always very important to us.

As a direct result form comments such as yours, we have placed additional seating within the lobby areas; I am delighted you made use of these on your last visit. On occasions where these seats are already taken, guests are welcome to sit in our bar area. We have no installed complimentary Wi-Fi access that may be enjoyed whist in the lobby areas.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Mandarin Orchard Singapore in the near future.

2,610 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Taipei
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

這家飯店不是東方文華集團旗下的酒店,但他卻有文華大飯店的名字,可能40年前有關係,但現在的管理集團叫做Meritus。千萬不要被混淆了喔!購物非常方便,也有新加坡有名的海南雞飯。但是飯店已經40+年歷史,真的很老舊了!不值得!如果你要找的是5星級的東方文華,千萬不要訂這裡喔!

There are several hotels with the word "Mandarin" in it in Singapore, there's Mandarin Oriental Hotel, Marina Mandarin, Mandarin Orchard. The first one is run by the Mandarin Oriental Group while the latter two are owned by the Meritus Group. I think the Mandarin Orchard used to be a 5 stars (now 4 stars) run by the Mandarin Oriental Group back in the 1970s, therefore keeping its Chinese name of 文華大酒店, very similar to the real Mandarin Oriental Hotel... I was confused and booked this hotel instead of the real Mandarin Oriental. This hotel is OLD!!! It's not worth the US$ 250 per night rate that I got. It's a 1000+ room hotel that's hustling and bustling in the lobby everyday. If what you want is a 5 star luxury hotel, this is NOT! Don't be confused...

However, this Mandarin Orchard is the one with the famous Hainan Chicken Rice, so you should come by for lunch at Chatterbox during your shopping on Orchard Road.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Mandarin_Orchard, General Manager at Mandarin Orchard Singapore, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear AlfredWoo,

Thank you for your feedback, something that is always very important to us.

You are right in saying that there are three properties with the name Mandarin. I would like to clarify that Mandarin Orchard Singapore is proud to have used the name “Mandarin” from its opening in 1971 which was previously owned by Overseas United Bank. Mandarin Oriental opened as simply “The Oriental” in 1987, operated by Mandarin Oriental Group, and later changed it’s name to include “Mandarin” in 2007.

I am sorry to hear you felt your expectations were not met on this occasion, Mandarin Orchard Singapore is committed to delivering quality service with grace, warmth and care; and our Meritus Ambassadors are available to assist wherever possible. I do hope that despite the busy nature of this city centre hotel, our staff members showed this Asian hospitality to you and gave you the welcome home we are fondly known for.

I am delighted you enjoyed our famous Chicken Rice; serving the same recipe for over 40 years, please do try our Mandarin Lobster Laksa next time also – another Chatterbox Singaporean specialty.

Thank you again for your valued custom.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

the hotel just located at orchard road (next to Takashimaya, if you are looking brands). However, we have to go to level 5 lobby for check in. the room is quite spacious and clean, but with poor sound proof as you can hear people walk pass or talking outside.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear PuiKuan,

Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased you found our rooms to be spacious and clean.

Whilst we cannot control the level of noise from other rooms, we can minimize it at all times. Our Duty Manager is available 24 hours a day if you require any assistance whilst staying with us. I do hope you made use of their services when you stayed with us.

I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Good Points :
Great Location ,very close to MRT and on the main orchard road shopping hub
Breakfast was also decent
Rooms very nice, big and clean and so was the bathroom ( view was bad though )
Concierge staff was good and pleasant

Bad Points:
extremely commercial hotel with no personal touch, they just mean business and make money

A lot of noise in the room from god knows where, made several complaints but i was told the construction outside which i couldn't see......................and construction at 12 in the night ???

Huge Lobby had seating only for 6 people rest all would stand as they have strict check in and check out time policies
I was promised late checkout when checking in for 2 hours but the manager decided to cancel that at the last minute ( shame.....i would have made arrangements if i was told before )

I would never go there again as i like to be welcomed anywhere i go especially if i am in a 5 star hotel and paying a lot

Room Tip: my room was noisy so dont know about other oh yes i was at the orchard wing if that helps
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Mandarin_Orchard, General Manager at Mandarin Orchard Singapore, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear friend777,

Thank you for your recent feedback regarding your stay.

I was disappointed to read we did not meet your expectations on your last stay with us. It is always our aim to exceed our guest’s expectations; I am sorry we did not this time.

Unfortunately, disturbances such as construction work being performed on Orchard Road can occur which are beyond our control, however our 24 hour Duty Managers will always be available to assist where they can.

Whilst our lobby has limited seating available, guests are very welcome to sit within our bar and café areas where they are not required to order any items as they wait to check-in; please do feel free to do so whilst enjoying our complimentary lobby wifi.

I an surprised to learn of your communication about late check-outs; I sincerely hope this was a communication error, however I have passed on your feedback to our Front Office Manager, who I know will reiterate the importance of being clear at al times.

friend777, I do hope that despite these experiences, you will give Mandarin Orchard Singapore another chance on your next visit to Singapore.

Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

This Mandarin is not the Mandarin that you think it is. Nothing to do with the Mandarin Group so don't get confused, number one. This Mandarin belongs to Meritus. In my opinion, it is closed to a 3-star hourly motel. Location is good but it is probably top of my hate list.

I arrived late at 11pm so I called my brother, who arrived two hours earlier than me, to order me a club sandwich and a fresh orange juice ( I will come back to this room service in a minute!). I arrived hotel and one poor girl at the whole counter and I waited for 30 minutes to check in. That was 11:45pm. I dumped my bags and rushed to my brother's room for my room service. The sandwiches was there but it came with a water melon juice so I asked what happened. They do NOT have orange juice... you are kidding me! By the way, the next day we had a drink at the coffee shop at 3pm and I checked again, they do NOT have fresh orange juice, only canned one.

Anyway, when I went back to my room at 0145, key card was not working so I had to visit that poor girl at the lobby. She was still there and I had to queue again for another 30 minutes, just to ask them to replace my key card. Then I got a lesson from her that I am not supposed to be attach the key card with any metal, where is that coming from!!!! I told her that I put the key back into the same envelope she gave me and I left it on my brother's bed; I picked it up and was holding it back to my room! Bloody amazing.

Next morning and the following morning, same scenery at the lobby, more staff but loooooong queue.

The hotel room is ok but with no sound proof as I kept hearing next door's activities two nights in a row. That is when I thought I was staying at one of those hourly motel!

In the morning, they sent a waiter to direct us to dine at the Charterbox which is one of their outlets (used to be famous for their chicken rice but that was the real Mandarin time)... I was wondering why they didn't let us to have our breakfast at the normal, proper cafe! I paid for that and the check -in girl specifically pointed me to the breakfast area which is directly opposite to the counter.

Another area is the taxi stand. No one there to guide, no signage indicates where the queue direction is. All mixed up with all those tour groups and they also queue at the taxi stand. Totally disorganised.

Definitely not coming back. Definitely not recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: choose another hotel!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Mandarin_Orchard, General Manager at Mandarin Orchard Singapore, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear J K,

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback via Trip Advisor. All feedback is very important to us, so I thank you for your time.

Please kindly contact me at gmoffice.orchard@meritushotels.com so I may investigate this further in order for us to continually improve.

Your insights are very valuable.

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I shall be candid and say that this hotel is one of the earliest hotel i can remember staying at when i was 6. And i keep continuing to stay here when i make trips to Singapore. They have gone numerous refurbishments and the most recent one has made their foyer, in my opinion, even more chaotic and not conducive to pedestrian management. In the past, the foyer is in the ground floor and there are various counters to approach. Now there is only 1 counter and it seems that every time i am checking in, there is only a single frazzled receptionist apologising profusely. So check in can be painful.

Now to the hotel. I always get a high floor which gives you some form of view, away from the cooling towers and also minimises the traffic noise. The room has gotten smaller following the refurbishment but the bathroom is still beautiful and spacious. They have now installed a ergonomic shower which dispenses water as a hydro therapy horizontally.

Why do i stay here? The location! Get up in the morning, put on a dres, walk across the street to Takashimaya food court and get the $3 Yakun eggs and milky tea or coffee, or a bowl of laksa, or a bowl of noodles, or some pohpiah or some yautiu or for a croissant if you prefer. Walk a bit further and take one of the hairiest escalator in front of Paragon Plaza to Food Republic food court. Or take a right after you exit the hotel entrance and go towards the MRT station. Or, take a left and keep walking towards Tangs but don't forget the underground walkway via Takashimaya lower ground floor, plenty to see and eat. Or, walk across Orchard Road towards Grand Hyatt for the hawker buffet, for a premium of course. I have eaten in Mandarin's restaurant but have always found it a bit meh since i am surrounded by food.

Would i come back? Absolutely.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor. A little dearer but worth it. Dont get the brekki inclusion. Its a bit boring.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Yappas,

Thank you for your review. It is always a pleasure to see familiar faces returning time after time, making Mandarin Orchard Singapore a home away from home; welcome back.

You are right to say our lobby is a little more confusing to how it used to be. Therefore we have stationed our Meritus Ambassadors in strategic places to ensure our guests’ needs are looked after and directed to where they need to go. I do hope they were able to assist you when required.

You will be pleased to hear, since your stay in November, after a direct result to feedback from people like you, we have more Guest Service Executives during our peak hours to ensure a smoother arrival and departure experience.

Yappas, I look forward to welcoming you back to Mandarin Orchard Singapore, on your next visit.

Best Regards,

New Delhi, India
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

lest go step by step :-
1. checked into this hotel after spending 2 beautiful days in Bintan island.
2. First of all there is no clear indication that the check in for Club suite residents is not on the 5th floor but on the 31st floor so we kept waiting on the 5th floor only to be told that we will be checked in on the 31st floor.
3. no problem,the breakfast is served in the Club room and the dress code is smart casual. i was wearing t shirt and lowers but forgot to wear shoes and wore my slippers instead. halfway through the breakfast a waiter walks upto me and tells me that i have to go back to my room and change into my shoes immediately. Believe me if i had not prepaid the reservation i would have checked out there and then. they get a 0 for service.
4. next day was my wedding anniversary. the hotel knew very well that i was staying there for it as i had mentioned it in my reservation. they didnt even bother to do something special like a cake or a pastry or anything to make the day special. even the hotel in Bintan decorated our room so beautifully and i had only mentioned that i was there on our anniversay when i had checked in.

overall , ill never stay there again..singapore has such amazing transport and taxis that no distance seems too far from the centre.

Room Tip: the new wing is better than the orchard wing.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear anurag1410,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your most recent stay at Mandarin Orchard Singapore. All feedback is taken seriously and is always read and noted.

Mandarin Orchard Singapore has been known throughout its long history for providing excellent quality service to all of our guests. I am sincerely sorry we did not deliver on this occasion. I am disappointed to have read about your experiences on what should have been a wonderful stay.

Whilst, you are correct in stating we have an enforced dress code within our Meritus Club Lounge, discretion, tact and diplomacy with respect is a given and is to be employed at all times, I am sorry we fell in exercising this towards you. I have spoken to our Director of Guest Services who I know will be counseling and training all of our Club staff on these traits.

anurag1410, thank you again for your feedback, which will certainly be a tool to help us continually and consistently improve.

Mandarin Orchard Singapore

Been to Mandarin Orchard Singapore? Share your experiences!