“F1 in Singapore” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #85 of 291 hotels in Singapore
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“F1 in Singapore”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Stayed at the Mandarin for 5 nights for the F1 and our 25th wedding aniversary . upgraded to Meritus room . The holiday was fantastic , a must do if you like F1 . Hotel was great with loads of action in the bar with the F1 simulator . Staff were great ,especialy Amin who treated us to a cake when he found out it was our aniversary . Well worth the upgrade to meritus room with the included food & drinks 6.00pm . Great location for shopping and eating + the mrt is nearby . We would recomend this hotel .

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Mandarin_Orchard, General Manager at Mandarin Orchard Singapore, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
Dear 42Mark,

Thank you for your feedback, I am delighted you found our hotel to be fantastic, it is always a pleasure to be able to share special moments such as anniversaries – congratulations!

Our Meritus Club Lounge is open daily with soft beverages throughout the day and a cocktail reception with light refreshments at 6pm daily – I am pleased you took advantage of using these facilities.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Mandarin Orchard Singapore again soon.

2,613 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

First off, I have to note that I'm extremely fussy with hotels and have quite high standards. After reading all the reviews on TA, I wasn't expecting much from Mandarin Orchard. I was in Singapore for a week on business and my company's travel agent booked a deluxe room for me and my partner who decided to join me.

Check in was ok. I was upgraded to a premium room in Orchard Tower. I was grateful for the upgrade but had a feeling I wouldn't like it, based on the room tips here on TA. True enough, when I got to the room, the carpet looked a little bit dirty, room was a little bit small - but I knew that I was to expect this kind of room anyway and that I should just accept it since my work was paying for the room, not me. What I couldn't deal with however was that they had given me twin beds for my partner and I. I immediately rang reception and asked if it was possible to change to a room with a queen sized bed. Diane from reception who answered my phone call said that she had another premier room available in the Main Tower and that she would send the new keys up if I wouldn't mind moving tower, which of course I didn't object to.

She personally came up to the room to swap keys and show us to our new room in the other wing. She asked if there was anything wrong with the room I was in, and i told her that it was fine, I just wanted a double bed. She then explained that this room was not as new as the one in the Orchard Tower, but it is slightly bigger. I was quite pleased to hear that I'd be given a bigger room to compensate for it being old. However, when we got to the new room, it was actually a lot nicer than the one in Orchard Tower. I was extremely pleased with the new room. It was spacious, the carpet and other fixtures seemed more fresh, it had a nicer view, bigger bathroom with a bidet. Much better for a long, working stay. So, thank you so much Diane!!! And for all the other times you followed up with us on the room conditions and helped us out with arranging other stuff too.

My only complaints about the room would be that the sofa was looking a bit tired - easily solved by reupholstering. Also the room would generally get quite cold but then while sleeping under the duvet(which was very soft and fluffy - lovely!) it would get very hot and I'd wake up several times throughout the night. I had to ask for a thinner blanket to help counter this. Lastly, no Star World on TV! Strange for south east Asia.

The breakfast buffet was alright, it did get repetitive as other people have mentioned. The menu is pretty much the same every single day with some minor variations. If you intend on staying here, this is how to tackle the buffet - don't try everything in one day. Maybe have the fishball noodles one day, have cereal the next, eggs another day, etc etc. Otherwise, the berry compote for the pancakes/waffles is a must try! With the whipped cream. Kinda gutted I only decided to have it on the last day. I am also obsessed with the soy sauce that they provide for the eggs. Goes well with the fishball soup and fried rice(which you should try with a fried egg on top). The cashier at this restaurant was rally sweet, by the second day she remembered us. On one day, I was rushing for work and left money to pay for an extra coffee while she went to get change(though my intention was to leave it as a tip). The next day she came up to us at breakfast and gave us back our change, exactly.

Also tried Chatterbox - it is expensive, but I have to say the portions are decent. Tasty chicken rice and lobster laksa.

Just a few final things to note, there are plenty of restaurants and shopping nearby. Somerset tube stop conveniently close. If you go just behind the Orchard Tower building, you can go watch a film at Cineleisure.

Room Tip: Don't expect too much if you're paying for a basic room. If you can afford it, definitely up...
Dear mrsker00,

Thank you for your very comprehensive review. I am delighted we were able to accommodate your needs whilst you were staying with us. We are always only too happy to help with any requests and help where we can.

I do hope we are able to offer you our Asian hospitality at Mandarin Orchard Singapore the next time you are in the country.

Danny Wong,
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

This hotel is located right in the middle of Orchard Road, making it easily accessible to the major stores and transportation hubs in the area. All the major shopping malls like Ion, Takashimaya, Paragon, and Somerset are all within walking distance. The MRT is located conveniently connected to the malls and cabs are easy to come by in the area. Food choices are abundant and the well-lit street stays busy until late at night. A perfectly convenient place for those who plan to do a lot of shopping in the area.

The hotel itself is nicely designed and well-maintained. The room we got had two double beds, ample closet space, a sofa desk and coffee facilities which were all built into the wall to create a bigger space. A flat screen TV showed several international channels, and complimentary coffee and tea service was available in the mini-bar. The bathroom was clean and spacious with a toilet, bidet, and shower/ tub. My only complaint is that the blow dryer in our bathroom was old and had tape holding the nozzle together, making it difficult to use. Air conditioning was adequate and set at a comfortably cool temperature. Daily housekeeping did a great job at keeping the place tidy and replenished complimentary bottled water daily. A sign in the bathroom indicated that tap water was safe to drink, but we did not risk trying it out like we did in Europe.

One thing I did find confusing was their service elevators. Some elevators serviced only specific floors making it a bit of a hassle having to go around to find the right elevators to get to your floor. You need your hotel key to get the elevator to work, which is a good security measure on the part of the hotel. The hotel staff was pleasant and helpful, and quick to respond to guests needs.

Breakfast buffet had a good selection of international dishes. A variety of cheeses, sausages, bacon, ham, porridge, yogurt, fruit, cereal, waffles were available, as well as a small selection of Indian and Chinese dishes.

Overall, had a pleasant stay here and the hotel was a good place to rest after a long day of walking, sightseeing, and shopping. I would book with this hotel again in the future.

Room Tip: If you get room 0937 at the orchard wing, you will get a view of the cooling tanks of the hotel. Unl...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Mandarin_Orchard, General Manager at Mandarin Orchard Singapore, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Ronabeth,

Thank you for your review of Mandarin Orchard Singapore, I am delighted you had a pleasant stay with us.

We have noted your comment about the elevators and have placed our Meritus Ambassadors in strategic locations to offer assistance directing people to the correct place and to make your stay as smooth as possible by helping with your needs.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Mandarin Orchard Singapore with our signature Asian hospitality the next time you are in the country.

Danny Wong,
Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I haven't been to Singapore for over a decade and the hotel makes me a disappointed stay in Singapore. Yes, I must say the location of the hotel is great as it is right next to the malls and shops on Orchard Road - but it is only good for leisure; when it comes to the business level, it is no way for me to go back again.

The hotel staff is polite but they are not helpful at all. It is totally okay for keeping your clients waiting in the reception or letting them spend some time at cafe or restaurants when the rooms are not ready; but making them waiting for more than 3 hours and the whole check-in process is needed to be done all over again? No way. There were 3-4 staff at the reception and they have no freaking records of who has handled what, and they have no idea how they should follow up.

What's worse is that some of the staff actually kept out luggage tags and we have no idea where and how we could get it back. And the bell service are disaster.. how can your hotel staff not asking the clients to mark their own luggage before you actually give them the tags?? How on earth do you think a total of 11 baggages could be distributed to all 10 rooms? - it ended up the bell staff carried all the 11 baggages and came to each of our rooms... well, thank you.

Our company actually held a 2-day of event there last weekend and we need to be at the venue for setting up at sharp 4pm. And after all those meaningless additional arrangements, we could not make it at 4pm; but we all actually arrived at around 1pm, and there is no point for us to wait for so long when the check-out time for Mandarin Orchard is 11am... So, everyone got a late check-out on that particular day?!

There is 2 towers in the hotel: Main Tower and Orchard Tower. Rooms are larger and older in the Main Tower, where Orchard Tower is rather newly constructed. You can tell how big the difference is when you actually have been to rooms from the 2 towers... and for me, it is poorly maintained in the Main Tower and the corridor has some strange smell, so as the bathroom where I originally stayed at. After the set-up, we decided not to stay at that room and I demanded to have a room change.

All in all, my company paid for my stay this time but after I heard about the price of staying for one night, I will strongly advice my boss and we shall never choose this hotel for any events in Singapore. I personally think it is nothing to do with the services in Singapore, but this hotel has the worst services and efficiency I have ever experienced. With this awfully high price, there should be plenty of better hotel out there.

Room Tip: No matter what, ask them to arrange you a room in Orchard Tower. You pay for that much of price, you...
Dear missssylvia,

Thank you for your feedback, it is something that is vital for us to continually improve, I thank you for highlighting the areas we can focus on.

I have highlighted your areas of concern to our respective department heads to investigate how we can ensure a smoother service journey in the areas you have mentioned.

I thank you again for your time and custom, and hope we are able to welcome you again to experience the Asian hospitality we are known for.

Malle, belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Hotel is well located if you plan to do a lot of shopping. Reception is on the 5th floor but they guide you to the reception desk. All staff were friendly. They've put me on the 33th floor. Room was up to international 4Star standards. Great breakfast will plenty of dishes of all regions. Their choice of bread is limited but you're in Asia so no complaints at all. I took a dinner one evening which I didn't complained. It was a buffet style but all the dishes I've tried were of high quality. All in all a great place to stay even for several days.
For shopping, take a few credit cards. One may not be enough...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear CisMalle_belgium,

Thank you for your feedback, I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and found our food offerings to offer a wide selction of items. We frequently change our food offering with only staple items remaining. If you are staying for a long period of time, please do not hesitate to ak our chefs to assist, where we will be happy to help with any particular requests.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Mandarin Orchard Singapore the next time you are in the country.

Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Company had booked the ballroom for an event, and 10 of us were staying at this hotel. We had reserved a few safe deposit boxes for the event, and my colleague who arrived one day earlier had confirmed with front desk that the boxes would be ready when we arrive. Upon check in, I ask the front desk to let us use the safe deposit boxes after check in, she then said she's not sure if we had reserved the boxes?! Moreover, she told us the rooms were not ready yet (as we checked in before 2pm), and suggested that we wait at the lobby. Looking at the occupied couches, we decided to have lunch first. An hour and a half later (was almost 3pm), we went back to front desk, and realized she had to do the check in all over again! When all of us finally got our rooms, it took almost an hour for us to receive our luggage.
Went to the room for safe deposit boxes. There is no way the person standing outside can tell whether the door to the safe deposit counter is unlocked or not. We waited for 5 minutes until we realized the door was unlocked by the staff standing behind the counter.
Compared to the rather elegant entrance and lobby, the room itself is a 2-star hotel standard. Some colleagues had to change rooms because the bathroom smelled and there was mold on the shower.
A friend had sent a package to the hotel for me. When I checked with front desk, they told me to check with Concierge which was located on ground floor. So I checked with Concierge and was told the package was there, and I asked them to deliver to my room immediately. More than 5 hours later, I went back to the room and the package was nowhere to be seen! Called Concierge to ask for the manager, staff who answered the call kept passing the phone to each other and not letting me to speak to the manager directly until I demanded several times. The manager finally delivered the package himself and apologized.
Upon check out, I went to Bell Service to retrieve the suitcase I stored there the night before. The staff looked at the ticket and said my suitcase was stored in Concierge and I should go down there to get it. I asked him to get it for me and bring it up (on 5th floor), he then said "aren't you going to take taxi anyway?" What kind of service is this?!?!
For a hotel that has such prime location, and claims itself as a 5-star hotel, but with this level of service, I definitely do not see where the value is for the money paid.

Dear cali_alice,

Thank you for your feedback. Please do get in touch with me directly at gmoffice.orchard@meritushotels.com so I can investigate further.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Pretty new hotel located right in the middle of Orchard Road is a perfect location for shopping based holiday! Actually the first few floors of the building are dedicated to shops! Actually the location is in reality very good for any sort of purpose from Business to family trip
The hotel is very nice and has been made on very modern design approach. The swimming pool could be considered a bit small for those after proper swimming session.
In my opinion the rooms, at least the superior room I had, are not matching the expectations if compared to the rest of the hotel. Even though hotel is quite recent the room gave me somehow feeling of being a bit "aged".
The breakfast arrangement is superb!

Room Tip: Don't miss the breakfast!
Dear Dadde74,

Thank you for your comments. I am delighted you found our breakfast enjoyable; you are free to choose to enjoy your breakfast in both of our outlets at your convenience.

I do hope you were able to try our famous Mandarin Chicken Rice whilst you were staying with us!

I look forward to welcoming you back again to Mandarin Orchard Singapore the next time you are in the country.

Mandarin Orchard SIngapore

Been to Mandarin Orchard Singapore? Share your experiences!