“Just a stopover” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #76 of 294 Hotels in Singapore
The Netherlands
“Just a stopover”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

On our way to Bali we had a stopover in Singapore.
We have to credit the Furama Hotel for there absolut super and perfect service.
We can' find fault with there staf and would give them all the credit for our perfect stat.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Furama_Hotels, Guest Relations Manager at Furama RiverFront, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Dieneke, thank you for taking the time to write us a review. I am delighted that you found your stay with us superb. Allow me once again to express my sincere gratitude and we wish you a fantastic holiday ahead.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Overall we enjoyed our 3 day stay here and would stay again but only if we could get a deal including an executive room (at the minimum) and breakfast at a good rate. Not as good as we were expecting but mainly because of the standard of the rooms. Upon arrival we were told we were in a smoking room...when I said that wasn't acceptable, we were upgraded to an Executive room from a Superior room. The room was clean but a little tired and in need of a refurb...thank goodness we were 'upgraded' or I'm sure we would have been seriously disappointed. Food in the hotel was expensive so we only paid for breakfast for convenience...$29 per head...but had a very good selection to choose from. Drinks in the bar also expensive. As we were a family...the third bed was shoe horned in...left very little room to move around in or put suitcases. Staff were polite and very helpful.

Room Tip: Don't go for a basic 'superior' room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Mr Tim, thank you for taking the time to write us a review. I read with dismay that we have fallen short of our promise to deliver. Let me reiterate that guest satisfaction is our top priority and as such, failing to meet your expectations is unacceptable. Please do allow me to extend my sincere apologies for the inconveniences experienced. I have shared your concerns with the relevant departments and we are working on ironing out all the issues. I am glad to hear that you found that our breakfast selection very good. Once again, please do allow me to extend my sincere apologies for the inconvenience experienced and my gratitude for your time in writing this review.
Bendigo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Singapore is really expensive, and this hotel was suggested as a good mid-range option. Stayed here for 1 night in September as an overnight stop on the trip to Europe, stayed 2 nights on the return journey in October.

Reception staff are helpful and professional, but seem burdened by excessive paperwork for any transaction. Housekeeping staff were very helpful.

WiFi only accessible in public areas such as the Lounge and by the pool, but not in rooms. Very limiting. Access is purchased in 1/2hr or 1hr blocks, and is expensive. For a hotel that promotes itself to business travellers, this is really not good enough in 2012.

Rooms - travelling as family of four, requested interconnecting or adjacent rooms when I booked 9 months prior. On arrival the first time, they claimed to have no knowledge of this request. Our room (15th floor) was very small, outdated, bed as hard as a rock, had one small window on which green slime was growing outside (ok, it's a tropical spot, but it clearly had not been cleaned for a very long time). The overall cleanliness left a lot to be desired. Our daughters' room had fungus growing in the shower, although the room overall was larger and had better natural light than ours. On the basis of this visit, we could not recommend this hotel to anyone.

On checking out, asked staff to verify that they had our request for interconnecting or adjacent rooms for our return visit. They could not identify a booking, let alone confirm they had our specific request. (Had to call our travel agent back in Oz to get that sorted!)

On our return, arrived in Singapore at 5.30am after flight from Rome. Had called the hotel while in Rome to see if they could provide early check-in. They said they would note it, but no guarantees (fair enough). When we arrived at hotel at about 6.30, they advised they might be able to give us access to our rooms by mid-morning. After falling asleep in their Lounge, finally was able to get into rooms at 10.30am, which we appreciated. These rooms on the 16th floor were significantly better than those provided on the previous visit, but the beds were still rock hard. Rooms were cleaner, which was appreciated.

Try to sleep during the day ... expect the hum of jackhammers to accompany you. Try to sleep before 2am, noise from the nightclub next door will keep you company.

This hotel claims to have won an award for best mid-range hotel in Singapore. If this is genuinely the case, then I dread the thought of the rest.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear KayCBendingo_Aust,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. I read with dismay your review and apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Allow me to share that the safety and security are one of our top priorities, as such we abide by the “Chapter 127, Hotels Act” of the Singapore Government. With regards to our WiFi coverage, we have recently retrofitted the entire hotel with a new batch of access-points and have tested the system in every room to ensure a healthy WiFi connection. Having said this however, guest satisfaction is one of our core values that we are committed to. Should you have had any issues we would have been more than happy to render our assistance.

As for the issue of not being able to identify your booking and your request for interconnecting or adjacent rooms, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience experienced. I have personally done an investigation, however there was no success in retrieving your booking. Perhaps, it is because your TripAdvisor username was not used when you made a booking with us. Having said this however allow me to share a little on how certain travel agents and hotel relationships work. When a travel agent receives a booking by a client for an airline package, they take in the booking and once they have attained a certain number of bookings, they then make a reservation for the total number of rooms with the hotel. This reservation is not in the name of the guest; instead it is in the name of the travel agent. The travel agent will then only send in the rooming list along with the special requests 2 days prior to the group’s arrival. This might explain the incident that we were not able to confirm your second booking with us.

Once again, please do accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused.
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

They wanted to give us a smoking room when we wanted a non-smoking room. They upgraded us to an Executive room which I was excited about but once we got in it was pretty disappointing. The walls were dirty and neon green (!), the spot lights were old and had pieces falling off onto the bed, the sink was right next to the bed so there was no privacy and the showers for lack of a better word was confusing with its taps. The bed was firm and comfortable the only positive. We had access to the Exec lounge where they were reluctant to give us wifi because we were upgraded and were not entitled to the service. They gave it to us after one of the girls gave it. Poor attitude. The swimming pool was noisy, renovation went through late hours, The room had broadband so you could connect on your laptop and it was ONLY when laptop use switched off that the same code could be used on our iPad. iPhones could not get connected. It is a 10 minute walk from the Robertson Quay where you can get a bite.

Room Tip: Do not choose this hotel, I would not go there even after it gets renovated.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Furama_Hotels, Guest Relations Manager at Furama RiverFront, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear idurdag,

Thank you for you invaluable feedback. Please allow me to extend my sincere apologies. I have shared your feedback with the relevant departments and have embarked on a thorough exercise to rectify and improve on the room condition. With regards to the use of our broadband internet, all passwords given are for singular devices. I have shared with our staff that many of our executive guests travel with more than one internet capable device, as such, they should highlight that each password is only good for one device and they should inquire as to how many passwords the guest requires for their stay. Once again, we apologize for the inconvenience caused and I sincerely hope we would have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our property in the near future.
wales
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

This was the hotel offered to me in a Stopover Holiday package.
Appears to be in an unremarkable area but helpful door staff directed me to riverfront and short walk to centre
Impressive on arrival the lobby is palacial,
Rest of the Hotel is very shabby doesn't feel clean as you would expect.Carpets stained and maybe it was the room that came with the deal a little shabby.
Any hotel that makes you pay for WI FI is not all it is trying to be

Room Tip: had to pay for breakfast in my deal, I ate elsewhere on principle
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Furama_Hotels, Guest Relations Manager at Furama RiverFront, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear Timtysonshort,

I read with disappointment your review of our property. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience experienced. I have shared your concerns with the relevant departments and they have begun work on the areas you have pointed out. Rest assured that all efforts have been made to rectify the situation as such conditions are unacceptable by Furama RiverFront’s standard. Once again, I would like to thank you for your review and I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience experienced.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We stayed for 2nights on the way back to Australia from Europe. Perfect location for a stopover, the Staff were very helpful, hotel facilities were excellent and very very clean. It is easy to get around from here with the hop-on-hop-off buses stopping next door. Chinatown is close by and although you could walk the roads are busy so we took a cab.

We ate in Chinatown the first night and had planned on going out for dinner the second night but there was a huge storm so we stayed in and were very glad we did as the dinner buffet was excellent value and the range of food and the freshness could not be beaten - better value than the Chinatown restaurant we ate at the night before.

The Furama Riverfront is a good choice to stopover and explore Singapore.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear AussieGem010,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are elated to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. It was a pleasure to host you for dinner on the night of the storm as it was a really bad one. Once again, thank you for this review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Mountain View, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

A very tired, musty, raggedy hotel with a beautiful entry way, lobby, and dining area. Our room was small, musty, ragged dirty carpet. Hallway was dark, dirty and also musty. Really needs serious upgrade. No clock. Inconvenient location. Friendly staff.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear iquilt,

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience experienced. We believe that all rooms should be clean and fresh-smelling. I have shared your feedback with the relevant departments and we have taken your room out of the inventory for servicing. Please rest assured that we doing our utmost to ensure that this does not happen again. Once again, I would like to extend my sincerest apologies for the inconveniences experienced.

Been to Furama RiverFront? Share your experiences!