“For Business Travelers, Not a Good Choice” 2 of 5 stars

Quality Hotel Singapore
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   201 Balestier Road, Singapore 329926, Singapore   |
Ranked #216 of 291 hotels in Singapore
Constant Traveller
“For Business Travelers, Not a Good Choice”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

I stayed at this Hotel in October 2013, and I was eager to try it out. I had driven by it many times on other visits, and from the street it is a very handsome facility. I had great expectations, especially since the location truly cannot be beaten for the price. However, once I actually stayed at the hotel I was a little disappointed. Here are some details:

First, the taxi driver did not know the hotel, which I thought was odd. I showed him where it was using Google Maps. It was a S$20 ride from the airport, about 20 minutes.

Once in the hotel, I learned the other reviewers are correct; the rooms are tight on space, but fully functional and certainly clean enough. I also saw evidence the hotel was trying to update and refresh the property -- notice in the photos the new "desk" and the flat-screen TV, so they are making an effort. The lobby is handsome and check-in was fast. Parking is easy. Taxis are plentiful, and the staff makes an effort to be friendly and helpful. I had some laundry done, it was returned clean, quickly and at a reasonably price.

There is a bar on the ground floor, with outdoor seating for smokers (very good). The bar also has a filipina band every night, and they work hard at entertaining the crowds. I also appreciated that the bar had a good selection of single-malt scotch whiskey, which is very unusual for an Asian hotel. So far, so good.

But also on the ground floor is the buffet restaurant, and it needs some work. The food was mediocre; the space VERY crowded with tourists wolfing down their meals, and the culinary choices were uninspired and unattractive. At breakfast -- don't try to get a fresh omelet -- it takes forever. The cook works from a tippy table in the bar, and does them one at a time. Also, the coffee is wretched. Most days I walked two blocks up to the Wampoa Hawker Stand and had a great breakfast without the hassles. (Lastly, there is a vegan restaurant on the second floor but I never went there.)

A couple of complaints --

The door to my room did not close automatically; the carpets had just been replaced in the room and they were so thick as to stop the door from closing. So I had to remember to shut it, tight. This was a minor but important security and convenience issue.

Most mornings, the shower never got very hot. It was warm, but not that sharp and refreshing zing you get from a truly hot shower.

The TV is pretty weak -- maybe 20 channels, total, and the BBC and the Asian News Network were the only English choices. No golf, no US sports; no CNN, no FOX, etc. In addition, the hotel had not invested in true hi-def services, so the images on the flat screen TVs were coarse and hard to watch.

Now, about the noise. This hotel is full of tourists, noisy ones. There were school groups staying in the hotel and there were kids racing up and down the hallway until 2 or 3 am. It also is hard to get a quiet breakfast because of the throngs dining before jumping on their tour busses. The lobby at morning and night is ALWAYS jammed with people, milling about, waiting for their groups. I found this challenging, after a hard day of meetings.

The wifi is very 19th century. It seems to only allow one unit to be logged on at each time, and I carry three digital tools. So every time I used my cell phone it logged my PC off the wifi network. I logged it back on, and it would kick the iPad off. What's up with this? It drove me nuts. Also, hang on to the card they give you with the wifi codes -- you lose it (I did) they want to charge you for a different card.

One bright spot is absolutely worth mentioning -- there is a young waitress in the bar, by the name of "Ember" who was polite, helpful, and unfailingly delivered excellent service. She served me one morning when I was trying breakfast in the hotel, and also worked in the bar every night. She stood out among the staff as being highly customer-oriented. Promote her, somebody!

In summary, this is a little weaker than it needs to be. But just to be clear -- this is NOT a bad hotel. It just has a little work to do to be useful for the modern business traveler.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

179 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

The hotel looks ok from the outside but feom the moment you press thw button for the elevator and wait ot givea you a taster of things to come
I was working and had to eat dinnee in the hotel. They seem to be all about the buffet I wanted something quick and a la carte
So into the dark bar. A very small selection and uninspired ia kind.
The hotel is located about 15 min walk away from the MRT station when I asked at the desk he described it as a 20+ walk.
But as basic as the rooms are it is quiet and I slept well.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Bandung, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

The room are small, a very typically Singapore hotel, and old too. But they have quite large bathroom, and tv. It's better for travellers, that not spending so much time in hotel. The wifi is free for 1 device per room. The good thing about the hotel is the price, the breakfast ( another hotel with same price, no breakfast included), and live band on weekend (or every night?).
The nearest mrt station is Novena (10-15 minute walking), but you can take the 124 bus route at opposite balestier tower bus stop , and stop in front of Newton mrt station (5 minute) to take the train to the city area.

Tips: A lot of large group of tourist in this hotel, the breakfast time can be so crowded, better take breakfast before 7.45 a.m or after 9.30 am. The best way to get to hotel (if you carrying luggage) from airport is take the mrt and stop in Lavender, and take the cab, that cost you arround $5 (in the afternoon), or just take the cab from airport, it cost you arround $19

Room Tip: Rooms that facing the swimming pool
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Quality_Hotel_SG, Marcom Executive at Quality Hotel Singapore, responded to this review, November 8, 2013

We very much appreciate your feedback and insights from your recent stay.

We are pleased to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

Quality Hotel Marlow is within close proximity to United Square, Novena shopping Mall, Orchard Road, Singapore Expo and the Changi Airport. The nearest MRT stations are Novena, Boon Keng(being the nearest of all, but may not be the most convenient for travelers arriving from the airport), Lavender and Botanic Gardens.

Marcom Executive
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

Rooms are very small, and does not look well maintained. Rooms facilities are poor. Internet is expensive. The price is relatively good to Singapore standards. Hotel bar is nice and I had a live singers show at nights. I think the hotel is better for travellers and less for businessmen.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

I always stay at this hotel. Near to the city and very convinien. Room also nice and clean. Price still acceptable. Many group checkin from others country. don't forget to bring along your room key. Otherways you can not going up using lift. Or you can ask the hotel staff to bring you up. Life music at night time. I enjoyed the music with some drink before goin to sleep.

• Stayed August 2013
Quality_Hotel_SG, Marcom Executive at Quality Hotel Singapore, responded to this review, September 12, 2013

Thank you for your review.

It gives us great pleasure knowing that you have enjoyed your recent stay!

Indeed, location is one of the main criteria for both business and leisure travelers and our hotel has one of the ideal locations. Quality Hotel Marlow is within close proximity to United Square, Novena shopping Mall, Orchard Road, Singapore Expo and the Changi Airport.

For security reasons, guests are only allowed to access the floor which their room is located with their access card. We are glad that you have enjoyed the entertainment provided at the lounge. Our crew strive to provide a wonderful experience to everyone in the audience. Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Pune
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Hotels in Singapore are expensive so finding a place that is available, affordable and accessible is really tough. We had to spend 5 nights so I was afraid of what lay ahead for us when we booked this hotel. But we had an event-less experience, which is what I basically expect from any hotel. We didn't have to ask for anything, or wait or argue for anything.

The room was small. Really small. But I guess that is very common in the island city. However, it was clean and the beds were comfortable. Perhaps the furniture was a bit more than necessary, but it was ok. The bathroom was ok too.

The front-desk staff are indifferent - neither friendly nor rude. That was my experience throughout our stay. The breakfast was one weakness of the place. You will find it alright if you eat there only once, or twice. But if you have to eat the same (and I repeat - the same) spread every day of 5, it can get very boring! Internet can be accessed from only one device, even if there are two guests in the room, which was strange. There is a bus-stop right outside the hotel with good connectivity into the city. Taxis are pretty cheap too so access is not an issue.

But overall, we had a pleasant stay. I can recommend this place if you are looking for a budget place with average expectations.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

We very much appreciate your feedback and insights from your recent stay.
We are pleased to let you know that the

new york
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

OK, I wasn't expecting much but this hotel hasn't even met my low expectations. First off, when I arrived, they couldn't find my reservation, then the room was dirty and the bed hard as stone. Then, even though my rate included free internet, they charged me for it. The pool is like a kids pool and the gym is 5 ft x 10 ft with a treadmill and some very very light weights. The people are all dropouts from the local hospitality college and just look at you and say "Sorry, sir" rather than actually fixing anything. DO NOT STAY HERE!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

We very much appreciate your feedback and insights from your recent stay.

I apologize that our front-desk service was far from your expectations. We are in the process of looking into a more integrated booking system to ensure a smoother process for room bookings. As for the internet service, please provide us with more information so that we can look into it. We have also purchased new equipments for the gym to improve our facilities.

I am concerned to learn about your experience. Do write in to marcom@qualityhotelmarlow.com.sg to provide us with more information on how we can further improve our facilities. My team is looking forward to make progressive improvements.

Marcom Executive "

Been to Quality Hotel Singapore? Share your experiences!