“Best service at a hotel I have ever had” 5 of 5 stars

InterContinental Singapore
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   80 Middle Rd, Singapore 188966, Singapore   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to 25% Off Room Rates!
Ranked #13 of 290 hotels in Singapore
Chesapeake, Virginia
“Best service at a hotel I have ever had”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I was here on a business trip for a week. The hotel is amazing. It is very clean, the rooms are luxurious with very comfortable beds, nice sized bathrooms, great views, amazing food - frankly it is worth every penny and then some.

The hotel staff is ready to serve, the concierge is beyond amazing, and the hotel is situated right next to a mall and very close to the train. I will only stay at this establishment in the future.

Room Tip: Pay for the breakfast ahead of time, and enjoy every bite.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
InterContinentalSin, Manager at InterContinental Singapore, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear Amanda B

It is wonderful to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us. We take pride in being a 5-star, luxury hotel in Singapore and your comfort is of the utmost importance to us. We will be looking forward to welcoming your back to the InterContinental Singapore. Cheers!

1,943 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Hong Kong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Of course you don't expect any surprises from chained hotel like this. The decoration is classic colonial / Nanyang style. Room is spacious and service is very good. Location was a bit far away from the main attractions in the city centre but nevertheless well connected with MRT station - when arriving, simply exit MRT and walk through the shopping centre.

Room Tip: when arriving, simply exit MRT and walk through the shopping centre, rather than through the hot hot...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear EvertonianSunny

Thank you for your review. I am glad to hear that you were satisfied with your room and the service of our staff. We look forward to you visiting Singapore and staying us once again.
Rotorua, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here in early september. Our room was incredibly quiet and comfortable with a great bathroom. Good internet and fast. We used the gym which is well equipped and the pool only had the 2 of us in it on the afternoon we swam. Great location with easy walking to many of the local attractions.

Dear AndyFuller

Thank you for your review. I am glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that you were able to make full use of the amenities that InterContinental Singapore has to offer. There's lots to see and do and our convenient location offers you the option of either walking to arts institutions situated nearby, or taking a short ride to Orchard Road, the Marina Bay area and many other attractions by way of the connecting Bugis train station. We hope that you will be planning a return trip to Singapore, and when you do, keep us in mind as your hotel of choice. Cheers!
Geneva, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

I am a frequent user of Intercontinental Hotels. This one is not so good. In fact the worst. Perhaps Asian standards are slipping. The rooms are old as well. Service in restaurant was OK.
The front-desk is exceptionally rude and slow.

Room Tip: Try and get upgrade but not easy even if hotel half-empty and even for Platinum/ Ambassador frequent...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Michael_Belanger, Director of Rooms at InterContinental Singapore, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear CH6666,

Thank you for the review of your most recent stay. I was sorry to read that your visit was not up to your expectations and that we have failed to deliver on the usual high standards InterContinental Singapore pride itself with. I encourage you to contact me at singapore@intercontinental.com and share the specific details of your experience as we continue to strive for excellence.

Michael Belanger
Director of Rooms
Dongguan, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Decent enough location (away from most of the hubbub), neatly stylish without going OTT on the decor, fairly priced, excellent facilities and service. All in all I would stay here again - certainly in preference to the entirely unsatisfactory rabble of other tarted-up boarding houses such as the Amara, the Copthorne or the Innotel

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear LanPing

I am glad to hear that you have had a pleasant experience with us here at InterContinental Singapore, and would consider us a choice accommodation for your next visit to Singapore. We look forward to welcoming you back to our establishment then. Have a great week ahead.
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

In the 10 or more years that I’ve been traveling to Singapore two or three times a year, I’ve stayed in many of its fine hotels, but about four years ago, I was so delighted with the InterContinental, that I now automatically select it as my destination hotel. This was my second visit this year. Since I’ve posted many reviews detailing all the things I like about the InterContinental, I just want to mention something I was especially struck with again this trip: the employees, mostly young, are not only competent and eager to please, as well as being very friendly, but they actually seem to enjoy assisting and serving the guests. That’s something that’s not so easy to find in today’s travel world.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Dear Bangkokexpat

Thank you for making us your hotel of choice when you visit Singapore. I am glad that our service standards have met your expectations and I trust that our Shophouse rooms are to your liking as well. We look forward to your next visit with us and hope that it will be even more enjoyable than the last. Have a great week ahead!
Mackay, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

We booked this hotel as a mystery deal on expedia.com. The rate was $AUD216 for one night in August 2013. We were coming back to Australia from Thailand, via Singapore, thought this hotel would be nice for the last night of our fabulous Thailand holiday. WRONG. Should have realised when I called from Bangkok to advise them we would be checking in very late, close to midnight because of a late flight. I had to call 4 times, because each time the front desk would not answer the phone. The switchboard operator was less than friendly with each call.
We arrived after midnight as the flight was late. We asked for a late checkout the next day as our flight to Australia was not leaving until 10.30pm. We were told we could only get a late check out if we paid a half day. We agreed, thinking half of $216 is $108 so we would do that so we could have the room until 6pm. The clerk did not quote the rate. Off we went to our below average room for a 5 star hotel. What a joke. The room was tired and small. Just scraping 4 star. View of a shopping mall. Not very nice. At least the bed was comfortable and the shower stayed hot. Glad we were not thirsty, a soft drink from the mini bar was $SGD8.00!! Rip off!!!
Fast forward to check out at 5.45pm next day - clerk prints an invoice and charges us $SGD235 for the extra 6 hours in the room!! MORE THAN OUR ROOM RATE. When questioned we are told the rack rate is $400 so we are charged half that plus taxes. WHAT A RIP OFF. No one said we would have to pay rack rate at check in. No amount of discussion would change this rude woman's mind, she would not call the manager either. We left absolutely horrified that we had stayed in this basic hotel for less than 24 hours and been ripped off for $451.
Once back in Australia, I contacted Intercontinental and expressed my dissatisfaction with this situation. A very nice person from the UK replied as follows: "Thank you for contacting us about your stay at the InterContinental Singapore. I apologize that you were overcharged for your stay. I can understand how inconvenient this would be. Since billing is handled directly at the hotel, I have forwarded this request to management. They will be in touch with you within 48 hours.
Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us and do hope your next stay will live up to the standards you have come to expect when staying at one of our properties."
This led me to believe they understood the mistake and would issue a credit - I mean, she said I was overcharged! NOT SO. Please read the response I then received from the arrogant manager, Jana Kwasnik in Singapore:
"Thank you very much for choosing to stay at InterContinental Singapore during your recent visit.
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I very much apologize for our team members who were not able to communicate with you clearly in regards to the late check out policy. As much as we value our guest, we do not double sell the rooms if we have late arrivals or early arrivals in case there maybe a change in our guests' plans.
Therefore, we offer a Half Day charge for late check outs till 6 pm and a Full Day charge anytime after 6 pm based on the rate we have available on the day itself. The rate you were offered by Expedia was a special promotional rate at the time you booked.
Nevertheless, I believe your frustration and dissatisfaction came across due to the miscommunication by our staff not about the rate. We sincerely apologize and hope to welcome you back in the near future. It would be a pleasure to personally look after your reservation.
Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any further assistance."
WHAT A LOAD OF RUBBISH.
So be warned fellow travellers, get quotes for late check outs in writing. Don't book using external web sites like expedia - the clerk on check out asked if we had booked with a third party web site and when we said yes, the tone changed, we were treated like aliens. AND don't ever stay at the Intercontinental Singapore unless you have money to burn and enjoy being ripped off and spoken to rudely.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Michael_Belanger, Director of Rooms at InterContinental Singapore, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear Julie B,

Thank you for sharing your feedback following your recent visit. I am sorry to hear that your experience at the hotel was below expectations and I understand that you are in contact with our Global Guest Relations team as well as our colleagues at the hotel level with regards to your concern. Once again we apologize for the frustration this has caused as hotel pricing is fluctuating daily.

Kind regards,

Michael Belanger
Director of Rooms

Been to InterContinental Singapore? Share your experiences!