“Raffles without the Ruffles” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Members Get Up to 35% Off
Ranked #13 of 293 Hotels in Singapore
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“Raffles without the Ruffles”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I did like this hotel very much. It had the feel of the Raffles hotel and Chic without the usual high rise glass fronted ultra modern places. Lovely lounge area just off reception and a good little Bar round the front side ( though the bar staff were pretty lazy and chatted to locals instead of serving the residence - I sorted that out though pretty quick ) and a great swimming pool and Gym onthe Roof. Location was excellent too. It appears there are 2 different kinds of rooms in the hotel as my partner had a more modern room. I was up a staircase off the lounge ( no lift access) in the old colonial part, but it was well worth it. My room was old fashion but Very "Hemmingway " with the old fans going round etc and i loved it , especially the high celings which allows the air to circulate in the hot conditions. Give it a go, its cool ( Room 203 - excellent )

Room Tip: They have these corner rooms 203 & 204 i think they are. Very big and spacious
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Michael_Belanger, Director of Rooms at InterContinental Singapore, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Hi Phil499485

Thank you for the review of your stay with us. We appreciate your feedback and I'll be sure to pass on your comments about Victoria Bar to the outlet manager.

I was happy to read that you enjoyed the rooms above the lounge. Last year, we've renovated some of those rooms and are now including Club access in our new signature Shophouse rooms and suites. Let us know if you'd like to experience them during your next visit.

Thank you once again for your valuable input.

Kind regards,

Director of Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

When we arrived at our room, a plate with some leftover food scraps had been left in the room - obviously an oversight by the cleaner. Whilst my wife and I were very relaxed about it, the hotel management was not. We were marched back down to reception and presented with new key cards to an upgraded Junior Suite room. Soon after the duty manager called to offer apologies, and the next day a complimentary fruit platter, wine and chocolates arrived.The Intercontinental Singapore has the most comfortable beds I've slept in during my 30 years of travelling. The furnishings need an update, but the bedding is outstanding. Whilst the hotel is due for a spruce up, some of the ageing aspects of this hotel certainly do not detract from its appeal. It's a grand hotel with so much more character and interest than the glass towers. The service and friendliness are outstanding from all staff members, and nothing is too much trouble. The breakfast buffet offers a superb selection and the lobby bar is a very comfortable and spacious area in which to have a drink at the end of the day. Highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Good day cazman58,

First of all I would like to sincerely thank you for taking the time to write about your visit. I was pleased to read the very positive comments about your experience. I would however like to apologize once again for the first room that was allocated to you. It was an unfortunate oversight by one of our team members, however I'm glad to see that you appreciated the service recovery offered by Fiona, Jess and Gisela.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Regards,

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Great hotel, lovely location and the staff were amzaing. We stayed here for one night and i was very impressed - especially with their prices. the only thing i will mention is that the hotel is getting a little tired. the wall paper is stating to peel and the just little things like that. it is very clean and everything functions fine. its a very nice colonial style building which is also attached to a mall which is very conveinient. the room service and breakfast was great so was the club lounge

would recommded its a great value for money

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
InterContinentalSin, General Manager at InterContinental Singapore, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Dear Rebecca V,

Many thanks for taking the time to review our hotel, and I am glad you enjoyed your stay, especially our service.

In the past 18 months we have renovated our Shophouse rooms and our Cantonese Restuarant, and I am sure you will be pleased to know that plans are afoot for the next stage of this program.

We hope to be able to welcome you back soon.

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

After a recent 4 night stay I expected better from this hotel. Everything was just average which is not good enough for a 5 star hotel charging what they do. Being a Platinum Elite member usually gets you even more for your money but not during our stay.

The hotel building and grand lobby are very nice, however the rooms themselves feel dated and dare I say slightly run down. A room always shows it true self in the bathroom - old taps, leaking bath plugs, worn ceramic, etc were all on display. The smallish 32" TV did not always work and reception was terrible, while the Bose alarm clock/CD player had blown speakers. The bed was fantastic and the only highlight of our stay. If I was paying bargain prices these things would not be an issue, but at $250++ per night I expect better.

The most displeasing experience was the cold service from the front desk (upgrade? Sorry sir. Wifi? Sorry sir. Late check out? Sorry sir). A lot of sorry but not much service.

There are far better hotels for the same or better prices to be had in Singapore.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Michael_Belanger, Director of Rooms at InterContinental Singapore, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Dear bigfing,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. However I was concerned over the fact that we failed to meet your expectations and I would like to sincerely apologize if our team member didn't provide solutions to your requests

As a Priority Club Platinum member, you are of course entitled to late checkout until 2PM and we do provide complimentary wifi to all Priority Club guests in our Lobby Lounge. Therefore I am very much concerned if this wasn't communicated to you, and would like to take this opportunity to discuss this further with you, if you would be so kind to provide me with your contact details at singapore@interconti.com

With regards to upgrade, we provide higher room categories to our Platinum members whenever availability allows. Unfortunately when the hotel is experiencing high occupancy we may not always be able to do so.

Once again thank you for your comments, and I would very much like to have the opportunity to get further feedback about your stay, if you would be so kind to get in touch with me.

Kind regards,

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

The hotel is very grand in appearance from the outside. The lobby and reception area are simple yet very nice and inviting. Check in was longer than usual but they were busy during this period so understandable.

Staff around the hotel are very helpful. However I was a little annoyed that the porter was expecting a tip. I usually tip them but I find it rude that they should be expecting it.

Room itself is clean and it has all the usual things you would expect from a 5 star hotel. However the room did feel a little old fashioned.

Room service was great. I always define a hotel's food by how well they can make a club sandwich and Interon have got it spot on.

All in all though, its not really anything special. There are some other 5 star hotels in the area that are cheaper and better. The overall stay was comfortable and pleasant but certainly not in the top tier of hotels I've been to in Singapore.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Foodgoorou,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of InterContinental Singapore.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your Club Sandwich but disappointed that you experienced a porter expecting a tip. Since reading your review we have conducted a short session for all our team members to reiterate that tipping is solely at the discretion of our guests and not to be an expectation under any circumstances. I thank you for for bringing this to my attention so that I can take appropriate action.

I do hope to be able to welcome you back soon.

Minato, Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

I tried a different hotel this time for a short business trip. An old building that has been tastefully renovated to retain some of the old Singapore charm in the bugis area. Very lively at night outside the hotel with lots of small restaurants. The staff are well trained. I stayed in a club room which meant free wireless internet, sensational breakfast and access to a large club room for meetings and afternoon drinks. The gym is open 24 hours and is non flashy large and functional. I will be back.

Room Tip: Get a club room - it is worth the extra cost
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear TokyoCraig,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to be able to welcome you back soon.

bahrain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

Nice hotel, centrally located. Its connected to Bugis Mall and train station. Wide variety of breakfast and great timings. Deluxe rooms were ok but not very new. Cleanness was good. Requested for interconnecting rooms, but were not available.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear jaskarani,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor.

I apologise that there were no interconnecting rooms available on your arrival. We do have a limited number of 'pairs' of interconnecting rooms, so if we are fortunate enough to be able to welcome you back, please let us know of this requirement at the time you make your booking as in this instance, we can be sure to arrange this accordingly.

I look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Singapore.

Tash Tobias

Been to InterContinental Singapore? Share your experiences!