“Lacklustre experience despite the hype ” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
LUXURY DINNER PACKAGE
Ranked #49 of 300 Hotels in Singapore
Singapore
“Lacklustre experience despite the hype ”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Was looking forward to the stay. Unfortunately things didn't take off on a good note because upon arriving at the hotel, we were told they didn't have a private carpark (surprising for a 5 star hotel) so our vehicle either had to be valet parked (S$40 for our stay, not reimbursable) or we had to park elsewhere. Being in the central business district, parking easily costs more than S$50 per day. Such an unnecessary cost to incur. We wished we'd known before driving there but who'd have thought a 5 star hotel wouldn't have a carpark that's free for its guests?

Reception staffs were polite, pleasant and helpful (though I didn't quite fancy the dyed & fancy hair on the bellman, call me traditional).

The room had many good things going for it (except for the size). I enjoyed tinkering with the iPad mini & iPhone for in-room appliances. Really fancied the sleek tv remote. Bathroom was small but well-appointed. Didn't like the shampoo & shower gel in glass bottles (though it's admittedly more eco friendly) simply because I'd experienced using the wrong toiletry because some punk guest before us switched the label around.

Location is good for those on business only because it's in the CBD. Lau pa sat (local food centre) is right next door so good food aplenty. Apart from Lau pa sat, it's completely deserted at night and on weekends. All shops/restaurants etc nearby are all shut so there's nothing to walk about. Leisure travelers should probably look elsewhere.

Stayed May 2015

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Metz, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

You'll know everything about the hotel reading the press release on the following web site :

A really nice, quiet and sweet hotel in one of the oldest building in Singapore, with unusual decoration and furnitures. All the items in the room or in common parts have a specific design and give a very coherent stylish atmosphere to the hotel.
Very modern facilities (curtains, lights, air conditionning in the room are controlled through an ipad), excellent breakfast quality with tasty food.
Large and quiet rooms (be aware that some rooms have a inside courtyard view).
Pool and bar on the rooftop.
A little bit strange welcome, efficient and professional anyway, disconcerting, but probably under control.
MTR station straight line to Orchard road at 5 min by walk, an 15 min to Boat Quay and Cavenagh Bridge.
Many thanks to the manager for spending some time with us.

Postscript : don't hesitate to carefully write down the exact address hotel, our taxi driver couldn't find the main entrance.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

I stayed at the Sofitel So hotel in Singapore in March and had a fabulous time. It is a gorgeous building with clean, beautiful, unique rooms. The staff were amazing, friendly, attentive, just delightful! One of the nicest places I have stayed.

Room Tip: The hotel is divided into wings each with a different theme. Review these to choose your preference.
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

well I am still not sure where the entrance is, but my first taxi driver did find it. I did not realize there was another entrance until I had walked about the building several times being dropped off at the other side. it was my first visit to this hotel and it would have been nice to (a) been told a bit more about it on arrival - they have an amazing roof terrace bar I only found the second night (b) a lot of the applications in the room were new to me, but cool. iPhone as house phone, iPad for lights, some free snacks in the mini bar - thx for that! In addition I notices only on exit you can choose your preferred pillows at reception, would have liked to try some out. I was also not offered to have a welcome drink and afraid to approach the drink machine that looks a bit scary, as do many things in the Hotel. The design is a bit over the top and takes getting used to, but by the second night I got used to it. The location is nice as one of my favorite satay food markets is right outside. But that's about it as it is in the CBD and whilst you could walk easily to the riverside and bars there, this is not necessarily recommended in the usually hot and sticky weather. At least they are only a few mins by Taxi away.
So room for improvement:
Make sure to show first time customers the room, options and point out other facilities of the Hotel.
The TV in my room was bolted to the wall but you were not able to see it from the bed nor was there a comfortable sofa to sit on and watch TV directly. Would suggest to put a new bracket so I can be moved in all directions on it.
Coolest feature:
The curtains close when you just pull on them lightly and open the same way.
Awkward feature:
A sex amenity kit including female stimulator...

Room Tip: not really sure at all. my room was on level 2 and due to the old structure I had windows I could no...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
stthomas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

I was invited to a private party on Sunday at the Sofitel. Very chic very centrally located n amazing cuisine n excellent wines champagne n I told myself I need to comeback n have a romantic dinner here with my loved one so I could appreciate the ambiance even more when it's quiet n less crowded.

Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This relatively new Sofitel has a lot going for it. The decor is funky and interesting and the young staff are keen to impress. The rooms are long and narrow and the window small but the interesting decor and comfortable bed make up for this. What small problems we had with the phone and hot water were quickly sorted with staff eager to assist in any way they could. Breakfast is average but again service was very high. The hotel is in a good spot, lots of great restaurants are within walking distance and the MRT is not far away. This hotel Is well on its way to bring a great hotel and we would definitely return.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
SoVinceL, General Manager at Sofitel So Singapore, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear chopin63,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us on TripAdvisor!

Sofitel So Singapore is a luxury boutique hotel housed in a heritage building with 134 rooms, varying in size from 24sqm to 82sqm each with a unique 3m high ceiling and interesting design touches, amenities and a full Apple guestroom technology solution to offer a different and unique experience.

I am proud to know that our Ambassador are quick to assist you and had gone the extra mile to ensure that your stay with us was nothing short of amazing! We took note of your comment with regards to the breakfast offerings and our Wine & Dine guru will ensure that our breakfast offerings are up to standard.

Your great feedback is very encouraging and I am looking forward to welcome you back on your next vacation in Singapore very soon.

So Kind Regards,
Vincent Lelay
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I have stayed at the Sofitel So about 5 times since it opened in 2014. It's a well designed hotel, with lots of nice style touches in the rooms and in the public areas. The staff are all very jolly and keen to help. The location is very good for business visits - close to many of the main office buildings and easy transport links. The mini bar is free - soft drinks, beer, snacks and decent coffee - which is always a good sign of a generous hotel that understands what customers want.
On the downside, the rooms are small (but stylish!), the service can be patchy and the swimming pool is very small.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Dear Alistair D,

Thank you for sharing your lovely experience with us!

It is always heartening to welcoming returning guests at Sofitel So. I am absolutely delighted to know that you loved the chic interior designs and Parisian touches around the hotel, convenience location, complimentary items in our in-room private bar and excellent service provided by our handpicked Ambassadors.

We look forward to welcome you for more So Magnifique experience with Sofitel So Singapore!

So Kind Regards,
Vincent Lelay

Been to Sofitel So Singapore? Share your experiences!