“Letter of Commendation to BEN for Service Excellence” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Village Hotel Katong by Far East Hospitality

Save Saved
You added Village Hotel Katong by Far East Hospitality to your Saves list
Village Hotel Katong by Far East Hospitality
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   25 Marine Parade, Singapore 449536, Singapore (Formerly East Village Hotel )   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
35%off +Free Tour +WiFi
Ranked #18 of 293 Hotels in Singapore
“Letter of Commendation to BEN for Service Excellence”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

Dear Far East Hospitality Management,

I happened to pass by Village Hotel Katong and was very impressed by the hotel refurnishing. My wife and I was planning to celebrate our daughter's birthday next month and decided to walk in and enquire at the front desk if we could see the hotel room.

We were served by a male staff named BEN. Right from the beginning, he greeted us politely with a wide smile and and offered to bring us to have a look at your superior room. At the lift, BEN actively engaged conversation with us by enquiring on our needs and responded with meaningful options. He even greeted our daughters and asked their names. We were impressed by the superior room concept. BEN patiently presented the different parts and available facilities in the room. It doesn't stopped there. BEN also offered to bring us to the family room so that we can compare which room suits our taste better.

By his excellent customer service, we are pleased to say that we have made a booking in this hotel and look forward to have a fun stay in December.

We would like to express a special thanks to BEN to serve us in spite of his busyness. Last but not least, he even take the extra mile to walk us out of the hotel entrance. I would say that your hotel has a great asset in BEN. His superior customer service gave us a WOW experience. I am certain many guests will be blessed by his service as well. Hope the management would consider him strongly in the next round of staff promotion!

With Thanks
KHOO

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Brett W, General Manager at Village Hotel Katong by Far East Hospitality, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Dear Teosher

Thank you very much for providing information on your wonderful experience when you came into the Village Hotel Katong to look at our hotel.

Your comments on Ben are very much appreciated, and I have personally taken him aside and read over your feedback and extended your praise of him. He was absolutely thrilled.

We look forward to having you stay with us in December and providing another WOW experience.

Village Hotel Katong

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Indonesian first
  • Vietnamese first
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

The not-so-nice:

- No views. Being a rather short building and surrounded by other tall buildings like condominiums means they block your view of everything. So don’t go there expecting a view.

- No bathtubs, even in the more-expensive club rooms. Looking at the other reviews in this tripadvisor website, I’d have thought that bathtubs are the norm, but I learnt from the staff that only suites have bathtubs, and I don’t see this mentioned in the hotel’s website.

- The breakfast is nothing special. Save your money, go for the no-breakfast option, and cross the road to Marine Parade hawker centre and eat the same and much tastier food at a fraction of the cost.

- The pillows are too soft. Gave me no neck support and I woke up with a stiff neck. However, I recognise this is a personal preference thing as some people just prefer very soft pillows.

- The steam room has no lockers for you to put your things or room cardkey.

- The pool is small, really just for you to get wet in. forget about sunbathing as the surrounding tall buildings effectively blocks direct sun rays, except the noon sun that beats straight down.

- The Peranakan theme is basic at best, limited to some motifs in the decoration and a teapot set in the room. I don’t see other evidence of Peranakan-anything as claimed by the hotel. But then, could be that I was expecting more from the hotel’s description.

The nice:

- Location, location, location! The hotel is literally minutes away from shopping centres, East Coast Park, and lots and lots of eating places, yet without the feeling of being crowded (like in Orchard Road). There’s an NTUC supermarket below the hotel, so you don’t even need to cross the road if you need to buy some snacks or toiletries.

- Friendly staff, clean rooms, clean beds! Friendly staff makes your day. My appreciation to the Malay male staff and Chinese female staff (regrets I didn’t note down their names!) at the club lounge who made every effort to make sure my wife and I were well-attended to.

- Even though my ‘not-so-nice’ items outnumber the ‘nice’ items, I will certainly stay at Katong V again because it fulfills my criteria for a staycation – clean rooms, reasonable price, and good food and lots of places to explore in the neighbourhood.

Tip:

My wife and I enjoyed the club lounge very much. We liked to just sit in there, chill out, take our time to sample the snacks and teas, and chit-chat the time away. That said, those who don’t need this need not go for the club room option as the extra room size is not very significant anyway, especially for singles or couples. And the snacks in the club room were the same for the two days we were there, so it got boring eating the same snacks for another day. And the snacks were not something special, just three types of Danish pastries, four types of cookies, and a selection of teas and coffees. You’re really paying for that opportunity to sit in a big lounge to while your time with virtually no one around (read: don’t have to squeeze with anyone), and having personal service from the hotel staff. As for the free internet access, there are two terminals in the lounge, you won’t need them if you have your own laptop or tablet with you. I also saw two terminals at the hotel lobby though I didn’t go check them to see if they are for internet usage.

The snacks changed at 6pm with finger food, some desserts (I loved the chocolate!), fruit and wine served. Those can serve as a light dinner if you don’t mind, and if you have gone for a heavy breakfast and lunch at the nearby eateries.

Therefore, basically, it’s like chilling at Starbucks with no crowd, free flow of snacks and tea/coffee, and no waiter/waitress to chase you away. So go for the club lounge option only if this is what you want.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear RSTT

Thank you for taking time to provide such a detailed review of your recent stay at Village Hotel Katong.

The hotel has an array of Peranakan inspired designs from the entry motifs, the display cabinets in the foyer, to the bright colours in the rooms and small ornaments throughout all areas. It was important that the hotel worked in with the local Peranakan culture which is also reflected in the dining experience at the hotel restaurant named Katong Kitchen.

I am pleased to advise you that last week we have acted on adding a firmer pillow to all the rooms so our guest have a choice each time they stay for their liking. We have also reviewed our Peranakan Lounge offering to ensure that we provide more rotation to the offerings for our longer staying guests. I thank you for these feedback points which has enabled us to act immediately.

I appreciate your great feedback on the team and will also be sharing this with them at our next meeting.

Next time you stay, be sure to try out our Premium Peranakan rooms that have a bath tub and will also have the access to the Peranakan Lounge. It is well worth trying it out.

Austin, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Overall I had positive experience at this hotel. Here’s mine:

Room:
1. I was upgraded because of my first visit. Didn’t see non-premium room so I can’t say.
2. Too big in my opinion (I’m not complaining) but I would have been nice to pay less for smaller size room – I travel alone for business. For two, adequate size room and it has balcony
3. Air Conditioning – Had some trouble. Reported and service came right up tried to resolve it (it was 10 pm). Got better but still could not get the temp I wanted even at fan (high) and temp (lowest) settings. Basically warmer than Sing hotels I stayed in the past even at the lowest temp setting
4. Outlets – Excellent! TON of them everywhere. Unlike Nostalgia hotel (overrated) where they have virtually no outlets near the desk, @ this hotel you won’t have any issues. Just make sure to bring the adapter for your appliance/plug.
5. The hotel is very new but my room was very dusty. My stay was short so I didn’t address it. If I stay there next time, I will definitely address it and have them vacuum properly.
6. FREE wifi/wired – Fast and had no issues during my stay. BTW, any Singapore hotels CHARGING for internet access should be avoided “PERIOD!!”

Location & Transportation:
1. Wasn’t the ideal location for me but others may not be an issue. Most of my activities are in the center of the city. The hotel is in between the city and Changi. 15 – 30 minutes depending on traffic to 50 Collyer Quay area.
2. Taxi – I had no issues getting taxi as long as you call down in advance. They did a great job getting you taxi any time of the day. I never waited more than 10 minutes.
3. The location is just fine if you are out all day, and do not have to come back to the hotel to take some break in between meetings. If not, I would recommend hotel near where your core business activity is. If you are traveling in different time-zone, it will make a BIG difference to come back to hotel in between business activities to wind down a bit and recharge yourself – IT WILL MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE -- Trust me I’ve done it for very long time!!
4. Overall, it felt like returning to my own place due to proximity (most residential), and the time required to travel back to the hotel. Taxi is cheap in Singapore so no big problem.
5. Has a supermarket on the ground floor so no issues getting stuff you need, as long as you get them before they close (I think 9pm or so).
6. 24/7 7-11 @ the back of the hotel but if the shopping center is closed, you have a long walk around the hotel at very late night. I took a cab roundtrip (cost me only $3.00) so no complaint there.
7. If you are on vacation in Singapore and looking for walking distance to popular attractions/shopping, this may not suit you.

Value – as long as the rate doesn’t go up (I think introductory rate at this time), I would consider staying here again, however you must calculate transportation cost and time compared to hotels in the central city.

Area Restaurant Availability - Didn’t explore too much but back of the hotel there are few stalls including famous Katong Laksa. However compared to other hotels I stayed, the choice lacked close to the hotel. I didn’t use any of the hotel restaurant so I can’t say.

Staff/Service - Overall positive experience except on afternoon my calls to front desk went into voicemail (about 7 times) when I was trying to call for taxi. Other than that no issue. Very friendly and courteous staff.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear joetheglobetrotter

Thank you for taking your time to provide such detailed comments about your recent stay with Village Hotel Katong.

The hotels location is one of great advantage being close to great local restaurants, shopping malls and the east coast beaches. The hotel is newly open so we do provide a modern product with large rooms that can accommodate to the business and leisure traveller.

I have discussed your comments regarding the dust in your room and the accessability of the front desk operator with my team. We have initiated a housekeeping program more focussed at the dusting to be more proactive in this area. We have also set up a call waiting system which will prevent guest calls going to a voice message. Thank you for sharing this information which has allowed us to make immediate changes and will remove any reoccurance in the future.

Thank you for your overall good feedback and I look forward to being able to welcome you back when next visiting Singapore.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

I had a blissful experience with my friends. All staffs were very welcoming and helpful. My face lights up just seeing their smiling faces. The hotel lobby's simple and clean. I love the colorful chairs. We stayed in a superior room. The price was okay, clean, and spacious enough. I love the fact that the hotel is convenient to fair price and 7-eleven. I will definitely recommend this hotel to my family and friends and will absolutely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear Emprodrigo

Thank you for taking time to provide some great feedback about your recent stay at Village Hotel Katong. The hotel can offer some great dining options and general conveniences being attached to Katong V mall, and all of our guests are really appreciating this when they stay.

It is great to hear that you will share your experience with your friends and pass on the good word about your stay at the hotel.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

When I made an enquiry regarding whether can I do my proposal to my gf in the room there, there seems to be lukewarm response. But once I've call up the front desk in the wee hours in the morning to the hotel itself, they gave me the best support I ever received.
The confirmation to all the request to decorate the room and etc was spontaneous and charges are reasonable.

Results: A resounding success and also a happy staycation at Katong Village hotel

Thank you staff of village hotel katong for the special request and also a memorable stay there

Warmest Regards
Mr & Mrs Khoo

Room Tip: Corner room are spacious
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Brett W, General Manager at Village Hotel Katong by Far East Hospitality, responded to this review, November 24, 2013
Dear cooldan0318 or should I say soon to be Mr and Mrs Khoo
Firstly congratulations. The team at Village Hotel Katong are thrilled all your preparation went to plan and of course the reply was "yes".
I really appreciate you taking time to post a review and thrilled we were able to be part of what is a very special moment in everyone's life. The photos you posted look amazing and well thought out.
Mr Khoo, the hotel also offers a great wedding venue in our Ballroom named Saffron, which can seat up to 130 guests. We offer a variety of themes and menus, so feel free to contact me at the hotel if I can assist in this for you.
It would be great to hear from you, and hopefully also use us again if not for your wedding day, perhaps your 1 year anniversary.
Kind a Regards and congratulations again
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

Very good reasonably priced hotel: not very central but close enough, with good transport links and plenty of restaurants and shopping close by. Very friendly and helpful, good size rooms, very clean and quiet. No bar or alcohol available in the hotel though.

Room Tip: Higher floors give you a view of the harbour even if they are on the side.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear IanVella
Thank you for taking time to provide a review on Trip Advisor about your recent stay at Village Hotel Katong.
I was pleased to hear you did enjoy your stay and I appreciate the feedback you have provided. The hotel will be launching another guest facility with a Lobby Lounge that will provide some tasty light snacks and will be dispensing alcohol for our guest to enjoy.
When you visit next, it would be great to have you stay with us again and experience all we have to offer.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

We booked and stayed 10 nights at the Katong Village Hotel and enjoyed every moment of our visit. The hotel having recently opened, is a delight to stay in. Everything is new, the lobby area is just so spacious, airey and welcoming without being over decorated and pretentious. The Reception Staff set the tone!! They were so helpful, friendly and efficient. The rooms are very comfortable and well equipped, coffee machine, iron and board, hairdryer and safe. We were sorry to leave as the shops, restaurants, coffee shops, bars, spas and salons etc be reached minutes from this very well placed property. Yes, I certainly do recommend the Katong Village Hotel, 25 Marine Parade as an excellent hotel to stay at.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear daytripper541

Thank you for your review from your recent 10 night stay at Village Hotel Katong.
It was great to read that you enjoyed your stay so much and considering it was for so long, even more rewarding to hear the hotel service are consistent.
The hotels location is very much a great attribute we have. Add to this the great new hotel we have to offer and all that supported by a great service team.
Next time you are in Singapore for 1 night or 10 nights, it would be great to have you stay with us again. Be sure to tell all your family and friends about your great experience!
Brett Walker

Been to Village Hotel Katong by Far East Hospitality? Share your experiences!