“don't judge a book by its cover” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #4,141 of 7,412 Restaurants in Singapore
Cuisines: Seafood
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“don't judge a book by its cover”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

this place doesn't look like much but the crab meehoon is something you need to try. that's my favourite here. everything else is optional if you ask me but other dishes that stand out are the frog's legs in chicken of essence & mantis shrimp in garlic sauce.

don't bother with the veg - it's a tad salty and just a waste of calories. better to focus on the meehoon and crabs if you ask me!

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Don't Mind the Grime Too Much (It's Part of the Charm), Visit for the Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

If you are iffy about the ambiance, I suggest you pay this place a visit for the lime juice, duck rice, and fried duck combo. Absolute deliciousness. The duck stall cook was pretty helpful place. In a country where the Hawker Food competition is as stiff as can be, this place is a good option.

Suggest you also give the Crab Bee Hoon and Snapper a go.

Not as cheap as maybe other places, but it is one of those places wherein you buy into the experience and not necessarily just the cuisine.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“8 stars”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

It was pretty good overall. I did not like the Chinese veggies-bleahg! I totally hated them and my mother and aunt forced me to eat it and the juice. How gross it was. I hate it and I never want to eat veggies ever again. The Gong Gong looked pretty odd though

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hong Kong, China
“Delicious Crab Mee Hoon and Seafood”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

The crab beehoon (vermicelli) here is legendary and whilst the rather dumpy environment and decor will ensure that this will not earn it any Michelin stars, this is "must visit" port of call whenever I visit Singapore. Also delicious are their "gang gong", a type of shellfish, steamed scallops and steamed frog with garlic and Brand's Essence of Chicken.

This is very expensive for an "eating house" but in my view, it's well worth it. Local friends warn that you must avoid being pushed into ordering the steamed fish (which is usually expensive) and my warning is that you must not let the chef (who also comes around to take the orders) talk you into ordering too much!

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Don't Go There - Big Time Rip Off”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

We were a group of 8 visiting Singapore on one of our cruise stops. We went to Sin Huat Eatery House 新發 on seeing a much earlier Anthony Bourdain No Reservations episode. The restaurant was old and crummy. We sat on the curb side on stools that were covered with black grime. The owner/chef came and took our order. He was blunt and rude and did not look at us when he talked. They did not give us a menu with prices. He just spew out prices when we asked, like $75 per kg for crab, shrimp, $250 for a spotted grouper (about 1-2 lbs) etc. he suggested that we order 2-3 of everything as if we brought a big bag of money with us. If we didn't take his suggestion, he would give us an attitude.

Their signature dish crab with noddles was indeed good. The scallops in shell were smothered with black bean sauce so much that you could hardly taste the scallop; same with the garlic shrimp that we ordered and it was not fresh. We did not have the spotted grouper as the price was outrageous. In addition, we had a dish of Chinese vegetables.

When I was in Singapore, I find that people are generally polite and helpful wherever you go. This place was definitely an exception. It was not a good experience. I would not recommend it.

• Visited March 2013