“Great location, bad service” 3 of 5 stars

Fragrance Hotel - Riverside
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   20 Hong Kong Street, Singapore 059663, Singapore   |
Ranked #158 of 294 Hotels in Singapore
Brisbane, Australia
“Great location, bad service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I would stay in this hotel again based purley on location. Close to China Town, shopping centre, train service, Boat Quay, Clarke Quay.. the list goes on.
The hotel and rooms were very clean and well presented. They were SO small. I have travelled throughout Asia a lot and I usually expect a small room, but this was a whole new level. On the first night my friend and I chose to pay extra to upgrade our room because our first room was just too small. The shower is over the toilet.
The Wi-Fi is good, you pay a few dollars a day to use it.
The breakfast next door is okay, although there is not much selection.
I found the reception staff to be rude and very unhelpful.
The roof top with the pool is relaxing and nice to sit on in the evenings.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
London, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Unfortunately, the good location is where it ends when it comes to finding pluses for this hotel. I stayed here for 3 nights and the hotel left a lot to be desired. The room was tiny, there was mould in the bathroom, the shower was pretty much right above the toilet, there was a strong smell of room spray in the room (presumably to mask the mouldy smell), you have to pay extra to use the internet, and to top it all off, the staff managed to throw away all the toiletries that I had left in a plastic bag on the floor of the bathroom, apparently thinking that it was to be binned. When I raised this with reception, they offered no compensation. There is a nice rooftop pool, but the one time I went up there for a swim, there were 10-12 teenagers playing ball games in the pool. They also say that there is a "gym", but this is in fact just two machines next to the pool, both of which were being used when I went up there in the morning.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
GlobalPremiumHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Fragrance Hotel - Riverside, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
I am sorry to hear that your bag of toiletries was mistakenly disposed during the cleaning process by the Housekeeping Staff. My Hotel Manager had been duly informed of this matter and had already conducted a briefing to the Housekeeping Team to be more attentive and mindful during their course of work.

I sincerely apologise for the loss of your items during your stay at our hotel and I hoped you will give us another chance to serve you again.
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I stayed during the F1 weekend as it was easy access to the circuit.
Fragrance is your typical Singapore budget accomdation.

No frills (at all), small room.
The room had 2 beds (i was upgraded even though i was a solo traveller), WiFi at a cost, small bathroom/shower/toilet (all-in-one).
The room had a window overlooked the side of another building but was expected.
My original booking was for 3 nights, but as i was arriving at 6am, I added another night so i could get there and go straight to bed.
I requested that the 2 bookings be put together, but upon arrival this was not possible which meant having to change rooms after a few hours.

The staff however were very friendly and said for me to have a sleep and whenever i am ready to come to the reception and they would change my room (regardless of the time).
The hotel was noisy in the halls outside the rooms but this was primarily unthoughtful guests.

Having stayed in Singapore before, and booked budget accomodation, this hotel was everything i expected.

The hotel is close to shops as well as the MRT and a short walk from Clark Quay for restaurant options and Chintown in the opposite direction.

The hotel restaurant was small (next door) and the staff certainly gave you the impression that it was an effort to serve you on the few occassions i at there (breakfast).

It suited my needs as a solo traveller and i would stay there again. Its just a no frills hotel

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Hualien, T'ai-wan, Taiwan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Staying at Fragrance-riverside has pros and cons.
Pros: Just 2 minute away from Clarke quay MRT and Central Mall (where you can find Ya Kun Cafe and Song Fa Bak Kuh Teh across street). If you wanna send a postcard, there's a mailbox about 10 min walk from hotel.
Cons: Room is tiny! Service not bad. Staff were affable. The bathing gel and shampoo from the dispenser are lousy! (Couldn't get any froth or foam from it~!)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

we were 3 adults, 1 child and stayed here from 20-26 dec 2012. Although the room was a bit small with no space to stow away our suitcases, we were away for most of the day. Location is awesome, with MRT, Central mall, chinatown and riverside with an active nightlife, a stone's throw away. Also right next to a 711 store for essentials. Definitely recommend.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Newbury, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We got here after a long flight from England.We had landed ahead of Schedule and got a taxi straight to The Hotel.We were told by a very un friendly receptionist that our room would not be ready until at least 3pm.Although she did offer to lock our cases away.She was not any where near sympathetic that we would have a long wait for our room and that we were very tired.So my wife and I walked the streets until about 1pm.We then went back to the hotel and was told our room was now ready.When we got inside it was so small Dark and Dingy.The bathroom was not much better either.At night it was a very noisy hotel with many guests slamming doors and generally making lots of noise.We were glad we only had one night here before we flew on to Sydney.On our way back from Australia we had a stop off as well.We would have rebooked this hotel had the firstnight been a good experience.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Belgrade, Serbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I was a bit hesitant when making reservation as the critics on Trip Advisor were pretty harsh. Contrary to this, the hotel was excellent (and I stayed twice in about a month, first time alone, second time with my wife – both stays for one night). The location is perfect – everything is so close: Riverwalk, Chinatown, etc. The room was not big, true, but this is standard in big cities in Asia I would say, so nothing to complain much about really. The room was very clean. The bathroom was also small, true, but with all that one can need, and the fact that shower was close, almost above, the toilet is true, but again I do not see a problem there. The staff was friendly, on both occasions I got voucher for the restaurant next door – ok, this was a pretty basic breakfast, but it was not included and I got for free, so no obligation from the hotel side to provide it. Swimming pool on the top is excellent – especially at night when one can enjoy panorama of the city. All in all, I would stay again when and if I come to Singapore

Room Tip: I had the room on the side, but even those on the main street are not noisy as the street itself is...