“Good location at affordable price, tiny room” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bay Hotel Singapore

You added Bay Hotel Singapore to your Saves list
Bay Hotel Singapore
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   50 Telok Blangah Road | (Hotel entrance via Temenggong Road), Singapore 098828, Singapore   |
Ranked #122 of 300 Hotels in Singapore
Jakarta
“Good location at affordable price, tiny room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We picked this hotel as my husband needed to get to NUH by MRT everyday and the close proximity to Vivocity, Harbourfront MRT station and Sentosa Island also meant I could easily entertain my 2 year old toddler (and myself!). Crossing the busy road to Vivocity was easy and safe. There is a bus stop nearby the hotel which is served by many bus routes throughout the city. Yes the rooms are small, we had to store our luggage upright when not in use. I suppose that the management tries to make up for the lack of space by having a "boutique hotel" feel with the young friendly local staff and amenities such as free minibar and a complimentary cheese platter and bottle of wine. Breakfast buffet was suprisingly good and had a lot of variety. Given the price and location I'd say it's a pretty good value if you plan to venture out all day as Singapore hotels are expensive. It would be great if the hotel could provide a choice of bigger sized rooms.

Room Tip: Our room had a nice view of the Sentosa Monorail trains going back and forth between Sentosa Island...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

The location is perfect as it's right opposite to Vivo City Shopping Centre and Sentosa Express. The staff were attentive as they gave us a quiet room facing the hill. However, I wasn't impressed with the toilet layout as the basin is located right next to my bed in the hotel room rather than within the toilet itself. I found it extremely inconvenient. The room doesn't give a relaxing ambience as the lighting were too bright. I am most disappointed with the cleanliness of the room as I saw many ants moving on the carpet. Worse of all, I was extremely shocked to see a mini cockroach next to my bed! This hotel is definitely too expensive for what it is and I wouldn't even consider coming back again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
BayHotelSingapore, Public Relations Manager at Bay Hotel Singapore, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and we value your feedback greatly. We are glad that you appreciated our conscientious staff who greeted you and the great accessibility afforded by our hotel’s proximity to some of the greatest attractions in Singapore.

We regret that you did not manage to settle down in the room as comfortably. We have taken your feedback into consideration with aims of making it a more pleasant and enjoyable stay for our guests.

We also sincerely apologize for the cleanliness of the hotel room which has failed to meet the usual standards set by our hotel. We will have more stringent checks on our cleanliness to avoid the same issue from happening again.

We welcome you to have another enjoyable stay at our hotel.

Tampa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

Very small rooms here. I had to keep shuffling around luggage to access it. Big tv - looks huge in the small room.

Very close to the ferry terminal to Indonesia.

Nice mall across the street.

Lap pool.

Not too bad of a breakfast - no cook to order. Free beer, soda, and chips in the room.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and we appreciate your feedback greatly. We are pleased that you have found convenience in the close proximity to the ferry terminal, the wide selection of buffet breakfast and the complimentary mini bar.

With regards to the room size, our Deluxe room, at 23 - 26 square metres, is a good size that appeals to most of our guests who have stayed in them; and is actually be good for two persons. In addition, our Suite room is now ready at a space of 35 square metres. We are also working on getting the 4th room type which is slightly more spacious than the Deluxe Room.

We hope to welcome you back to our hotel to stay with us again.

Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I got one of the biggest rooms, but it looked and felt like a nice, mid-sized mobile home.

I agree with the positive comments by others - clean, friendly staff, good bed etc - and heartily endorse the criticisms about size of room relative to the price charged. Because the room is so small (even for one person), the toilet layout is cramped and the shower is barely adequate. It was, nicely but dangerously, equipped with glass bottles for shampoo and shower gel. Easy to push one on the floor, thus covering the shower floor with cut glass, as I did - not good when the user has bare feet and soap in the eyes!

The clothes storage is almost non-existent - a small open rail about 1/3 meter long above the sink and hospitality tray. I had to keep my suit and all other clothes in my suitcase - and the only space for that was on the bed beside me. A rough calculation of usable floor space gave about 10 m2 in several small sections. I found it nearly impossible to work on my laptop between meetings, since the 'desk' is really only a small shelf.

Disappointing too was the fact that the gym (the tiny temporary gym is only equipped with a multi-gym machine) will not open until Q3 2013. Same for the rooftop bar and restaurant, though a staff member said 'next year - maybe'. It says so in the small print on the website, but I did not spot this until I arrived and rechecked when the 11th floor lift button did not function.

The outlook varies from 'pleasant' onto the forest under Mt. Faber to 'restricted and concrete' depending on which room you get.Sound-proofing is quite good, though I was wakened by the engine roar of a local 'Ferrari Fool' at 3 am one morning, as he took off form the traffic lights outside the hotel. The position is good for access to Vivo City and Sentosa, but nowhere is far in Singapore and you can easily stay further away and take a taxi or the MRT to both. I moved to another hotel to get more living and working space. I paid S$40 per night more, but went to a different universe.

All in all, the hotel has some good points but it is really only fit for one person (or two skinny ones) for one night, with no suitcases. The business model seems to be 'a small room, at a middle price, for one-night stands'.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and we value your feedback greatly. We are glad that you appreciated the cleanliness of the room and the warm amicable staff that greeted you.
Thank you for highlighting to us the hazardous damage of using glass bottles for shampoo and shower gel. We have taken your feedback into consideration and we are currently in the process of replacing them to acrylic ones.

We are currently working towards on improving our gym facilities in hope of serving our hotel guests better. With regards to the room size, our Suite, at 35 square metres, is now ready and it is good for two persons. We are also working on getting a 4th room type which is slightly more spacious than the Deluxe Room.

Our rooftop tapas bar & grill, Propeller, will be open in the last quarter of this year. While these are not yet ready, our STREET 50 Restaurant & Bar is a global flavours restaurant that serves wide-ranging dishes from around the world. It has received great reviews for dishes such as the Tom Yum Flair and Lamb Rendang.

We welcome you back for a better experience with us.

Jakarta, Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

We finally choose Bay Hotel for our short stay in Singapore.. Initially, we were in doubt to stay in this hotel due to the not great comments of guest experience staying in this hotel...

However, we finally decided to stay and book a room at Bay Hotel...

We arrived early in Singapore and we were allowed to check in early, with no additional charge...We requested a double bed, but since our booking was for a standard room, so we were given a twin bed room.. - which is ok...

The room was really tight - just enough for 2 persons and a cabin size bag - not more... The room was however, clean, cool, no bad smell, and the bed was comfortable.... Mini Bar was free - this is different....
The bathroom was tight - since I am quiet big, but still ok.. however, the toilet was really small n tight.. it is only for people that is small - not more than 90 kg.. not comfortable for me

The staff service was warm and polite...

What was really good for this hotel was its location that is near to Sentosa, Vivo City, and harbor front mall, and the pier that connects singapore to Batam, and other places thru sea...- this is really their selling point/ their edge...

The price was rather high for their hotel standard, however, their location adds the value of the hotel facilities that makes the hotel worth to stay....

Above all, we do enjoy our stay in the hotel... It was a great hotel.. and would be better if the price can be adjusted....

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Staycation Package: We bought the "Stay & Play Package at Marine Life Park" which included tickets to both the SEA Aquarium and the Adventure Cove for two persons and a one-way transport to Sentosa. Although the web site states S$258++, that rate wasn't available for the dates we wanted. Actually when I rang the hotel, the staff didn't know when this lowest rate was available. Anyway, we paid a total of S$337 inclusive of taxes. It was still cheaper than if we were to take up the staycation package with Resorts World.

Room: It was very cosy and compact, with little room for huge luggage, there isn't a proper wardrobe too. So I guess it is more suitable for locals on staycation or a short business stay. Having said that, it had everything to make me feel comfortable and settled in - flat screen tv with HBO and key channels, comfy queen size bed, safe to keep my valuables, pleasant view of vivo city, and complimentary mini bar with beer, soft drink, juices, crisps and mixed nuts. I asked a few times about their suites, which is on the web site, but the staff didn't know when or whether they will be ready.

Bathroom: It's different because there is no actual 'bathroom'. The sink, shower room, and toilet were all separated. The sink is outside, just next to your coffee and tea tray. Besides the rain shower, I guess I would describe it as no-frills.

Breakfast: Compared to the staycation at Quincy, I thought the breakfast had more variety and seems more lush. There was smoked salmon, selection of cheeses, mini muffins, nasi lemak, porridge, salad and fruit bar, nestle youghurt, the usual baked beans, hashbrown, sausages, and more. We were happy and frankly a little impressed. Perhaps our expectations were lowered from some of the reviews here I read earlier.

Facilities: Not a huge pool, but long enough to do short laps. Gym is small but adequate for a quick workout. No business centre though the front desk was very willing to help print any documents if you need.

Service:
- The bad: To be honest, I was prepared for the worst. I made a phone call a few days before my check in to ask if they could do anything special for the birthday boy. The staff whom I spoke to over the phone, was rather unfriendly and said "Ok lah, we can give you an amenities plate, which is chocolate-dipped strawberry, okay?". When I asked if I could upgrade to the Executive Room, and I did mention that I'll be happy to pay for this upgrade, she rather curtly said "No, we are completely full." And when I said, thanks; she just replied, "OK, bye". That call could have been handled much better, and it totally does not feel welcoming, or in anyway hospitable. How about "Sorry, we are completely full because it is our peak season", and end off with a "Thank you and we look forward to seeing you next week", or "Thank you for choosing to celebrate this special occasion with us, we'd be more than happy to..". Is my expectation too high?
- The good: At check-in, we were quickly greeted by a gentleman who was professional, friendly and eloquent. He explained the various items we are entitled to in the staycation package, which made us feel immediately taken care off and welcomed. He even ushered us to the lift which was a nice gesture. We saw him a few more times after check-in and he was always smiling. That's great service! Not long after we settled into our room, we received the chocolate-dipped strawberries, delivered by a well-groomed staff with a smile. We met her again at breakfast the next day and she was very attentive and friendly. The housekeeping staff we met along the corridor was also well-trained and greeted us with a smile and 'hello' every time we passed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and we appreciate your feedback greatly. We are glad that you have enjoyed our wide selection of buffet breakfast, the complimentary mini bar and room amenities that have made your stay a comfortable one.

We apologise for the lack of consistency in service standards on part of our staff. We will look into ways on how to improve our staff service standards and their knowledge on the hotel in order to serve our future guests better.

We welcome you to stay with us again.

Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 4D3N. The first thing we noticed is the bathroom. Half-frosted glass all over. I stayed with my friend of the opposite sex so it wasn't very charming. I have to go to another friend's room just to bathe. The bathroom is also very close to the bed so it's a bit damp somehow.

The place to hang my suit is above the boiling kettle so I didn't make any tea or coffee, risking my suit to be ruined. The sink is small and located beside them. Amenities is standard. The TV is so-so. The room is quite clean but quite cramped.

The great thing about this hotel is the bed. It's fantastic. The pillow and bedcover is so comfortable I don't want to wake up soon. The AC is great too. We got some balcony to smoke outside. Wi-fi is also available at decent speed.

Breakfast is great, a lot variety of food. We tried fine-dining which last too long (start at 0700pm and end at 1130pm, what...) The location is great, across Vivo City which MRT station located. So we can basically go anywhere.

Overall, it's a great place for business traveler.

• Stayed December 2012

Been to Bay Hotel Singapore? Share your experiences!