“Great value for money, wonderful experience” 5 of 5 stars

Announcement
FEMALE Only FLOOR
Ranked #16 of 184 Specialty Lodging in Singapore
Quezon City, Quezon City, Philippines
“Great value for money, wonderful experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

I and 2 friends booked three bunk beds in a 16-bed mixed dorm room early in January 2013. In the photos, the place looked really spacious, but in reality it is very crowded, I did not feel like moving a lot. When we got there, it was still not time for check-in so we left our luggage on the hallway of the lobby, which was already pretty crowded with bags.

We got back to check in and see the room, which also looked spacious in photos but was a bit more crowded. Nevertheless, the beds were very comfy, I loved resting in my bed! However, my friends and I had to speak in hushed tones every time, but I had to remind them sometimes that there was actually no one in the room but us. I guess this is just an inconvenience if you stay at a backpacker's hostel.

I also found the individual lights nice, except... I was always the last one up, and every time someone entered the room one night, they would not turn on their own lights and use mine to get ready to sleep! I don't have the heart to deliberately turn the light out... :(

Sharing a room with a lot of people will also inconvenience you on the temperature of the aircon! Sometimes it gets too cold! So I had to just quickly adjust temperature when nobody's looking and go right back to bed.

There were personal lockers so you could keep your stuff locked up.

Bathrooms and toilets - toilets are unisex on each floor, women's bath was on our floor, but our friend had to go down one floor to take a bath in the men's room. Toilets were super clean, they even have a bidet! There were heaters but you had to turn them on before you take a bath (I had forgotten on my 2nd day, so I had to deal with a cool shower). Shampoo and shower gel were available; I used my own shampoo just because; but the shower gel was very nice-smelling! They also have hand dryer and hair dryer, which I love!

Location was really great---there was a mall (Central, with an MRT station) a few blocks away, a 7-11 downstairs, a bus stop downstairs (just one ride to VivoCity), walking distance from Funan, Merlion Park... etc! Oh, and also Chinatown. Really great area.

Common area - we never got to have breakfast because on our first morning there, when breakfast was supposedly setup by 8:30, it still wasn't there, so we decided to just buy food at 7-11 and go straight to USS. It did get a bit crowded by that time 'cause everyone was having their breakfast. They also offered free Milo, coffee, and tea. There were two computers and you can print---you just have to email your files to the receptionist (I couldn't save our boarding passes as PDF so I gave up). There were also DVDs and a Wii I think but we never got to try those out.

Service was really good! The receptionists were really nice and friendly. :)

Overall, I definitely enjoyed my stay here, and I would definitely come back here if I go to Singapore again! :)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
FiveStonesHostel, Owner at Five Stones Hostel, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Mayonnesse,

Thanks for the comprehensive review of our hostel. You say that you would definitely stay with us again. Great, we would love to see you. The points you make about the great location and great staff are those that most of our guests comment on.

Hopefully we will see you in Singapore again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

The service is quite good. Although I had a small inconvenience but they solved it for me finally (just wondered if I didn't complain that much, would they let the customers be in such inconvenience?).
Facilities are all good enough. Staffs are all friendly.
The location is not good as I expected. 10 minutes walk to the nearest MRT station and had to tolerate the bad smell on the road near the hostel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
FiveStonesHostel, Owner at Five Stones Hostel, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Joey, thanks you for taking the time to review our hostel on this and other sites. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay in clean and green Singapore. As you point out in your review our hostel is located within a short walk from not one but two MRT stations. We note you comments about the roads between Five Stones Hostel and the nearby MRT stations, even in clean and green Singapore there will be mild annoyances out and about on the streets of a bustling city. I guess you encounter similar issues from time to time in HCMC.
Phuket, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

The main selling point for this place is the location as it is right in Clarke Quay area. Its a few minutes walk to the restaurants, bars, and it is conveniently located in the middle between raffle place and Clarke Quay MRT station.
Loving their WI-FI here, fast and easy to connect. But if you don't have your gadgets with you they also have computers in the lobby area for you to use for free.
The room is clean but there were no mentioning about bathroom on a different floor from your bedroom and don't forget to bring your own towel! Drainage in the shower area is filled with hair so if 2 ppl shower at the same time you will get all the water flooded into your shower. It was very disgusting!
Breakfast was limited and make me feel claustrophobic. But their living area and the movie choices and books were always my favorite after a long day.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
FiveStonesHostel, Manager at Five Stones Hostel, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Hi Skistimatic, thank you for taking the time out to give us your valued feedback :) We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our speedy WIFI services & convenient location.

We are sorry to hear that you had a misfortunate experience with our shower/toilet facilities. Our cleaners regularly clean the showers throughout the day to ensure that it's available for use to hostel guests. However, we understand that during rush hour periods our cleaners may not always be quick enough to check during the intervals between the guests who have finished showering & the guests who are next in line.

We will continue to strive towards providing better facilities for our hostel guests and we do hope to have the opportunity to host you in the near future!

Cheers,
Nicolette
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I stayed 1 week there and it was very convenient. He's close to 2 lines of subway. The room was clean, with A/C. You have a lounge room with a lot of DVD and books. Free breakfast. If you need something always someone there to help you.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
FiveStonesHostel, Manager at Five Stones Hostel, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
Marjorie, that you for taking the time to post a review. As you point out our hostel is conveniently located and our great staff are always willing to give helpful advice. We hope to see you again soon, however Melbourne is such a great city maybe you will be kept busy there.
Buenos Aires, Argentina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

We stayed 4 nights on a private double room on second floor.
Pros :
- hostel very clean
- staff are nice and helpfull, with good english
- breakfast was great (coffe, tea, toasts, cereals and some fruits)
- location was excellent (2 blocks from MRT station)
- free laundry and drier service
- they do the dish clean

Cons:
- they ask you to keep your shoes at the entrance, but someone stole my tennis shoes at his checkout! They show me the video with the guy leaving with my shoes, and paid me 50SGD. I could not get a new pair but i accepted their appologies. Anyway, they have to improve that policy, meanwhile, keep your shoes with your room.
- the room was on the laundry an bathroom area, so we couldnt get sleep well. Avoid this area.

Room Tip: Avoid second floor private room. Keep your shoes with you.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our hostel it is great that you enjoyed your stay. We are sorry that you had a problem with your shoes, this is the only issue of this type that we have encountered. We understand your point about the laundry, we now take steps to ensure that the machine is off during the night. Thanks again for staying and for your review.
Lucerne, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Wow, the staff is just wonderful, the location next to perfect and its all clean and well kept. We had a so called deluxe room (double room) and the one thing we didn’t like at all was that it had no window. Made us both feel a bid claustrophobic. Also the small breakfast area was most of the time so crowded that skipped it. Maybe we just had a bad timing.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
FiveStonesHostel, Owner at Five Stones Hostel, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hostel. It is great that you enjoyed your stay.
Helsinki, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

On our way from Australia to Europe, we decide to spend some days in Singapore and booked 2 twin rooms on the second floor for 3 nights. I have stayed in several hostels in Europe so i would like to compare the basic things.

Good things were: good service, friendliness of the staff, pretty good price-quality relation, good location near to Clark Quay MRT station and short walk to Boat Quay area and many places to eat, basic breakfast was enough good to start the day with.

There were some problems:

- policy on night silence starting from 11 pm SHOULD BE EFFICIENT, which means NO use of laundry and drying machine after that time (our room was next to laundry area) - quality of sleep was pretty poor
- all guests staying in the hostel should also comply with the policy of night silence: no running/socialising and talking phones next to the rooms) - once again quality of sleep was poor
- on the next day when back from town, we found our room´s door open (with a light on) and some of our belongings were moved and left in a random places around the room: i understand that the staff has the right to enter and check the room, but please, make it your presence invisible
- if possible, do not use strong scents in small rooms - some people may be allergic to strong scents. It is always better to use something neutral.

Room Tip: Do not choose the private rooms on the second floor - very poor quality of sleep because the locatio...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for staying with us at five stones hostel.

Been to Five Stones Hostel? Share your experiences!