“Great Location, Convenient to the MRT and Chinatown” 4 of 5 stars

Orchid Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Tras Link, Singapore, Singapore   |
Ranked #127 of 294 Hotels in Singapore
Florianopolis, SC
“Great Location, Convenient to the MRT and Chinatown”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

Hotel was gorgeous! Outstanding breakfast buffet included. Very helpful staff, great gym and a beautiful clean pool. Everything perfect, I can't believe I only paid 65$ per/night!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012 via mobile

It's situated at a good location, very accessible with train station so nearby and there are many good food available nearby which are operated till very late. Ate at a korean restaurant superK along tanjong pagar rd, they served very good Bbq food. After dinner went to fluffy dessert for dessert and they serve very nice snow ice with fruits. Perfect for me as the weather in sg is very hot! Head back to orchid hotel just walking distance. Enjoyed my stay here!

• Stayed March 2012
Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

I would have given this hotel a "very good" rating if it wasn't for one small but crucial thing: nobody picked up the phone. Trying to minimise roaming expenses, my husband tried calling me on the land line on numerous occasions only to listen to the phone either ring out, or to be diverted to a voice mail that said "Sorry, but this line is currently not available" (!!!). Yes, that was their main outside phone line. When he finally was able to get someone (and he wasn't always lucky I might add), when he asked to speak to me he was told that a person with that name wasn't staying in the hotel. Only when he gave my room number was he finally put through. But even when I tried to ring the front desk from my room, it simply rang out. When I told the front desk (in person), they didn't seem too concerned.

How can you get something so incredibly simple, but equally vital, so wrong?

The location is great, the rooms are big (albeit with very old fashioned deco), the pool is beautiful. But if they can't answer the phone, I won't be staying there again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
paris
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

This hotel is ideally located. Close to the Maxwell foodcourt and to Chinatown.
The room was big and nice. Pretty big bathroom with a nice view on the buildings. Furniture is very strandard and does not have a lot of style. Pretty much the same kind of stuff you would find in every hotel of the world.
Breakfast is ok, the choicie is broad enough.
Nice pool located in front of the restaurant so that everyone can watch you swimming !
Wifi works well.

Staff is ok but does not speak very well english. But they do work well.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Voorburg, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

Stayed in this hotel mid-March 2012 for 5 days. Although I had read mostly excellent reviews about it, the staff didn’t make a good first impression. I contacted the hotel on 2 occasions (via the Agoda booking form as well as via email) prior to my arrival with an early check-in request (seeing that I would be on a 13 hour flight), but didn’t receive a response within the first two weeks. It was only after calling them, that I received a reply, in which they noted that early check-in is subject to room availability and that I could ensure that my room was available by booking the night before against the full daily rate. Although I can understand that this might be hotel policy, I found it hard to believe that all 254 deluxe rooms would have been booked, so I decided to take my chances. I arrived in the hotel around 7am and was indeed told that my room wasn’t ready yet and that I had to wait in the lobby. The reception staff apologized for the inconvenience and offered me free bottled water. It was only until around 10 am however, that they were able to check me-in, and this was only because I insisted that a room should be available now as I had just seen someone check out 15 min before.
It’s also good to know, that they ask for a 50SGD guarantee on your credit card. This is just in case you use something from the minibar (which was only stocked with Tiger beer, coca cola and sprite I might add). Although there are two free bottles of mineral water in the room (restocked daily).
Finally in my room, I noticed that I had accidentally left behind my camera. The good thing was that the manager handled this issue swiftly and efficiently. As it turns out, I had left behind my camera in the elevator and the manager returned it to me himself within less than 10 min.
My room (1513) was clean, big and spacious with a light décor. The bathroom only had a shower, but was very clean and extremely spacious as well, with great water pressure and an adjustable showerhead. The room also had a very beautiful skyline view over Singapore. Housekeeping did an excellent job. Every time I went out and switched on the please make up room button, the room was swiftly cleaned and toiletries were fully restocked when I got back in
I had booked a deluxe room promo with free wifi. I was able to go online, but the connection seemed excruciatingly slow during, what may have been, certain peak hours.

There’s a small gym, sauna and swimming pool on the 3rd floor, which are all open from 7am-9pm, which I thought was a definite plus. There’s also a restaurant/ café on the third floor, which offers an American as well as Continental breakfast, against reasonable prices (around 17 SGD).
Another pro is the excellent location, within a 5 min walking distance from Tanjong Pagar MRT and several shops (incl. 7-eleven, supermarket and a small fruit market).
The staff effiency/service can really be improved on though.
I had booked a day tour with an 8 am pickup. Having waited 10 min. in my room, I decided to go down to the lobby and inform the reception desk that I was expecting someone from a tour agency. It was only then that they informed me that the driver was already waiting outside! A call to my room would have been nice though.
All in all, I would rate this hotel as average. They have got a lot going for them, but at the same time there is definitely room for improvement. I did like the nice atmosphere. I really got the feeling that they respected my privacy (staff was very friendly without being too pushy).

Room Tip: request a room on a higher floor, for the best views.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Vancouver, BC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

All the previous comments about the hotel are true, good value, large room, clean and convenient but the wall is thin, if your neighbor is loud you could hear their conversation as most of the rooms are connecting. Stayed there three nights, on the second night was awaken at 1:30 am by my neighbor who just checked in. Luckily they checked out the next day. BTW, asked for a bottle opener on the third night and been told they do not have any despite there is an in-house restaurant.

Room Tip: Ask for a non connecting room (limited quantity on each floor)
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

The Orchid hotel is a new hotel in the Tajong Pagar area. The rooms are big, the bathroom a delight and the bed & pillows so comfortable. The hotel is across the road from markets, hawker food stalls, restaurants and shops. Less than 100 metres away is the entrance to the MRT station and from there Singapore is accessible. A very easy walk to Chinatown. Combined a business trip with a few leisure nights and had a wonderful time.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Been to Orchid Hotel? Share your experiences!