“Excellent choice for those on a budget!” 4 of 5 stars

5footway.inn Project Chinatown
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   63A Pagoda Street, Singapore 059222, Singapore   |
Ranked #61 of 185 Specialty Lodging in Singapore
Manila
“Excellent choice for those on a budget!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Cleanliness - The room we got was a lounge room. It was pretty basic. It was clean when we got there. The linens and pillows were white and fluffy. I wasn't sure if the carpet was that clean though. The toilet and shower area were clean too. Sometimes, there would be waste tissue paper on the toilet floor but that was probably due to the other hotel guests. The staircase leading to the rooms was sometimes wetc, still probably due to guests walking back to their rooms after taking a shower.

Location - This hotel is literally a few steps away from exit A of the Chinatown station! Plus it's along Pagoda Street which is like the heart of Chinatown so it's really a good plus. The street where this hotel is located is lined with restaurants and shops selling souvenir items.

Rooms - We got the lounge room which was big enough for my mom and I. Three small people could fit in the bed. The other bed was 6 feet off the ground though. Not sure if anyone would really want to sleep on the top bed. The room had two tables, two mirrors, a lamp shade and one socket. Someone accidentally openes our room at 2am though. Do the rooms have the same keys/locks? I'm pretty sure I locked our door before going to bed. I remember hearing a staff showing some new guest around, maybe that was the person who opened our door but didn't s/he know that the lounge room was already occupied? Maybe the management could look into this?

Service - The reception guys were kind and accomodating. We didn't interact with them that much, except when we checked in and checked out. The breakfast fare was basic. They provided unsweetened corn flakes, milk, white bread, butter, peanut butter and some fruit jams. Coffee, milo, tea and water were available all day. The mugs were few, so when we got to the pantry at around 8am, all the mugs were used already. On our second day, they provided paper cups but they were gone the next day. We had to wait for the others to finish using the mugs. The plates, spoons and knives were abundant though. There were a tissue box and sugar provided on our first day but they magically disappeared during the rest of our stay.

Value - If all you need is a bed, a place where you can shower and a place where you can leave your belongings, then this is really an excellent choice. It's a hostel designed for backpackers, so don't expect too much. At least their wifi signal is really good and they provide breakfast.

This hostel is a really decent place. If you don't mind sharing showers and toilets with others, then this is a good choice for budget travelers. I'm going back to SG in November with my friends and I have recommended this place, despite the little incident with our door.

• Stayed May 2013
5footwayinn, Manager at 5footway.inn Project Chinatown, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Hi Stargirl721,

Thank you for taking time to review your stay at 5footway.inn Project Chinatown.

We have noted on your feedback regarding the door. Please be assured that this is a one time incident, security is the priority concern of the management.

The team also do remind all our guests to replace the items after used in making the community more cohesive and comfortable. We apologised for the incidents you went through, we will definitely step up on our service level to ensure all guests are taken care of.

Lastly, we look forward to welcome you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Good luck and protection and safe-keeping, a blessing for a safe and happy prosperous life from a returning guest!

Without a doubt the most visible advantage over the other is the hostel staff. Ever smiling, willing, accommodating friendliness epitomises the homely environment created by each and every one of the staff, made my stay away from home a memorable one. That personal touch is rare which comes about by self-motivated staff, Keep it up guys!

In a previous review as a returning long stay guest (three visits within six months) I commented on the cleanliness, conveniences, comfort and other features of this back packer style hostel. Something that I may add in here this time round is that it’s a lovely place with a beautiful green rooftop terrace (Project C1 property) to hang out in the evenings and interact with other guests that choose this place as their place of stay while in Singapore, makes it the true cross road to the world and cultures.

I leave with a sense of longing to return soon and wish to say a big “THANK YOU” to Della, Xing Feng, Natra, Serene, William, Gin, Jo-Anne, Pui-yi, Vivian, Jun Jie, Zarikh, Monet and Elynn. Each one of you made my stay a pleasant and a memorable one by your caring and kind ways, which made me feel at home throughout and will cherish the friendships (as some of you have become).

Long live and prosper 5footway.inn!

Room Tip: If you are booking Project 1 and need a quiet night, Room 2 is suggested.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
5footwayinn, Manager at 5footway.inn Project Chinatown, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Hi Premahg,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us on Tripadvisor.

Your recognition for the service rendered made the team more motivated to serve better.

You too, felt more like a family member to us than a guest. We enjoyed your presence and hope to see you soon.
Poznan, Poland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This hostel is located in a heart of Chinatown- just a few steps from MRT Chinatown. The rooms are litlle bit small but it is just for sleeping so it is enough. However it is very clean ;) The stuff is very kind and helpful. Free WI-FI in whole building. There is a small problem with bathrooms- there were only 2 of them on my floor and in the evening hours there was a litlle bit crowdy. All in all I must say that this hostel is nice and i will recomend it for everyone!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Hi Wiktor88,

Thank you for your kind review of 5footway.inn Project Chinatown.

As the building is a conservation heritage shophouse, we regret that wet areas are limited due to structural issues. However, guests are free to use the bathrooms in other floor.

Nevertheless, we are glad that you enjoyed the stay and we look forward to having you back soon.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Good location and only 2 mins walking distance to MRT Chinatown. Staff are very polite and friendly. But the bathroom with heater is limited. Only 2 bathroom attached with heater. Hopefully they can upgrade the other 2 bathrooms with heater as well.

• Stayed May 2013
Hi Annte21,

Do let us clarify that all showers are equipped with water heater facilities. However, in Singapore, you need to switch on the power switch that is located at the entrance of the bathroom. This is a energy saving measures implemented where energy will not be wasted when not in used.

Nevertheless, we are glad that you enjoyed your day and we look forward to you returning.
Surabaya, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

a nice and clean place to stay. close to the mrt station just mins walk. breakfast is fine, can be crowded if you don't get there early. very good wi-fi signal. a good choice for a place to stay for solo travelers.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
5footwayinn, Manager at 5footway.inn Project Chinatown, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Hi Joice T,

Thank you for taking time to review 5footway.inn Project Chinatown.

As space is limited due to the prime location, we have extended the breakfast area to the ground floor too. Also, the timing for breakfast has also been extended. We hope that guests can space themselves out and everyone get to enjoy the breakfast.

Most importantly, we are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you soon.
Tokyo, Japan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

5footway.inn has changed since I first stayed with them in January 2012 -- it's been expanded. I think I need to give them time to adjust to their expanded state -- which is another way of saying, I would not so readily book with them for my next trip.

First the positive:

1. Expansion means more rooms -- they now have singles for roughly twice the price as a 6-bed dorm.

2. Really low price compared to boutique hotels in the same area.

3. Really close to the Chinatown SMRT station and right in the middle of Chinatown: access to food, cheap souvenirs and massage therapists.

4. Free and fast wi-fi. Reliable, too.

5. Free bag storage before check-in and after check-out makes it easy to keep things safe/not lug things around while you wait after/for your flight.

6. Simple (well, sparse and bland) breakfast is included in the cost of accommodation (corn flakes and bread; coffee and tea); bathrooms have liquid soap and shampoo (but towels are for rent).

7. 24-hour snack bar and reception.

I'll still consider all these when comparing them with other places to book. Unfortunately, I was very disappointed in the following:

a. The bed. Mine was on a loft about 6 feet above the floor so the climbing thing was an unpleasant surprise. I didn't, but perhaps you can ask if they have normal single beds. The vent of the air conditioner is on the same level as the bed, so I had to use my comfy futon as a barrier against the uncomfortable beam of air, which left me without a futon but probably rescued me from Bell's Palsy.

I tried the dorm rooms in 2012 -- even if I wasn't keen to share a room with anyone I think I prefer the dorm rooms over the single rooms because the sleep quality in either kind of room is unsatisfactory; I'd rather pay a little money to sleep fitfully than more money for the same bad experience.

b. The room. My single room had a bed (above my head!), a small wall rack with three pegs to hang clothes on, a mirror and a trash bin. There was space for a small sofa or a chair but they didn't provide any. I put my things on the ledges because there was no locker or cabinet. The window doesn't open. If you pay 2.4x more, you can get a small room at a boutique hotel in that area, with your own toilet, a towel, a bed that rests on the floor, drinking water, a TV and more than the bare basic toiletries. I guess you can ask yourself if the savings are worth sleeping in this kind of room.

c. The toilet. I wondered why the receptionist didn't point out which toilets were mixed (i.e., men and women), and which were for females only. Apparently, in my building, showers were individual cubicles with a small sink and toilet. Choose the ones where the water from the shower doesn't soak the toilet paper. This sort of thing showed poor building planning.

d. The upkeep. The "old" 5footway in was pretty. I enjoyed having breakfast in the well-designed kitchen and hanging out in the attic common area. Now, well -- the floors are polished and the rooms look clean, but there are pails and mops in the hallway and the toilet floors are always wet. There didn't seem to be any effort to keep the place tidy. So even if it were clean, there were eyesores -- a seeming lack of concern about what the guests see when they stay there.

I started staying at hostels (in Japan, 2012) after a great experience at 5footway inn last year. I thought that I could get good value for my money while sleeping in relative comfort. But my last stay at 5footway inn dampened my enthusiasm. Memo to me: if you pay less, you deserve less.

----

Tips: 1. Don't forget to ask what kind of bed you're getting!

2. Make sure they return your passport before you go up to the room. I had to ask them to return it. Scary.

Room Tip: Ask what kind of bed you'll get -- you might have to climb a ladder to go to sleep.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

We stay in a room for 4, its clean but no window and a little small for big luggages. We love the location is very close with subway station...and we love Vivian,the gentle staff there, who is take care all guests very well.

• Stayed April 2013
Hi superultramaam,

Thank you for staying with 5footway.inn Project Chinatown.

As we are located in a conservation shophouse that is in a prime location, we regret that space is limited and couldnt offer more rooms with window.

We are glad that your group enjoyed your stay and we truly hope to see you back again soon.

Been to 5footway.inn Project Chinatown? Share your experiences!