“Great apartment alterntative to usual hotel room” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
USD168* with breakfast
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Hope Island, Australia
“Great apartment alterntative to usual hotel room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

We originally were booked for 5 nights at the Royal Plaza on Scotts but were offered a single bedroom studio apartment in 8 on Claymore upon check-in which we accepted. In hindsight we would have liked to view the room at Royal Plaza before accepting, however we were not disappointed with the overall experience.

The single bedroom studio apartment has all the facilities of a regular hotel room, perhaps a bit more room with a small/compact kitchen area which allows for some cooking if desired (albeit with so many eating options in Singapore, why would you bother?). The bedroom area of our room was a bit tight and did not provide us with much space for suitcases which ended up being on the floor in the middle of where the TV/lounge area is supposed to be - not sure if all of the single bedroom apartments are similar. The check-in process was a bit long in the tooth given we had to transfer from the Royal Plaza to 8 on Claymore which is next door. It also takes a bit of navigation through the lobby, out the back door and through the carpark into the lift lobby of 8 on Claymore and vice versa if you wish to access Orchard Road rather than take the back streets which is where the main entrance of the hotel is. Nonetheless, a great location being a very short walk to Orchard Road and all it has to offer in terms of shopping, dining, etc.

The room overall was very clean, modern and up-to-date. There is the usual gym and pool and breakfast room where an excellent buffet breakfast is available. The staff were all very courteous and friendly and nothing seemed to be too much trouble. They also were extremely helpful with our early morning departure and even arranged for one of their security staff to assist us with our luggage despite the very early hour.

Like with most hotels in Singapore, you only get what you pay for and whilst the 8 on Claymore is certainly not the cheapest hotel, it does give very good value for money and is well worth a look at if you are planning a longer term stay.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
8onClaymore, General Manager at 8 on Claymore Serviced Residences, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Dear Daniel E,

Thank you for taking time in writing this pleasant review here on Tripadvisor.

Thank you also for taking up the offer to stay in the Studio unit here in 8 on Claymore Serviced Residences. I am pleased to learn that you were not disappointed by the whole experience.

We have noted on the areas of concern raised and will work towards a more seamless and efficient process when upgrading guests from our hotel property, Royal Plaza on Scotts. Nevertheless, we are grateful for the feedback you have shared.

We hope that you have had an enjoyable and memorable time during your holiday here in Singapore and shall look forward in welcoming you back here again next time.

Chief Experience Officer (CEO)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
reneeaus
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

I recently stayed here for 10 nights with my family in a 2 bedroom apartment. The apartment itself was spacious, immaculately clean, well appointed with everything we needed for our stay and more. The location of 8 on claymore is fantastic, being within walking distance to restaurants, shops, cinemas, and Ion Orchard mall. Most of the major attractions (Raffles, Clarke Quay, Chinatown, Marina etc) were only a short cab ride away. We were also able to access a free shuttle service for some locations (e.g. Sentosa) which was great. The Orchard MRT station and bus stop are both within a short walk. However cabs were so affordable (especially if travelling in a group) that we didn't need to catch public transport during our stay. Even though 8 on Claymore is just around the corner from Orchard Rd, we always found the apartments to be very quiet and we never had any issues with outside noise etc, which was another positive.

The best thing about 8 on Claymore though is the amazing service provided by all of the front office staff - Christine, Nash, Shannon, Hesh, Nadiah and Zaine. I will definitely be writing a letter to management to let them know how wonderful the staff are! Throughout our stay they were so friendly and helpful. It was lovely that they took the time to get to know us, have a chat about how our holiday was going, and were always so happy to help with anything that we needed.

The facilities were always in top notch condition and very well-maintained. The pool is beautiful and surrounded by pool chairs and cabanas which are great for relaxing/napping in the shade after a swim. We also found the breakfast to be of very high quality with a good selection of different food options including cereals, fresh fruit, toast, pastries, and hot buffet with eggs, sausages and a selection of more traditional Chinese dishes. There was a Nespresso machine for coffee/tea as well and I really liked that guests could access this any time of day. We also had access to free Wifi and local calls which was yet another positive.

In summary I would highly recommend 8 on Claymore. I think it is especially well-suited to families wanting some extra space and all the comforts of home but with the luxury and facilities of a hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
8onClaymore, General Manager at 8 on Claymore Serviced Residences, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Dear reneeaus,

First and foremost, thank you for submitting this wonderful review here on Tripadvisor.

It is kind words of appreciation like these that continues to encourage the team here at 8 on Claymore Serviced Residences to strive at what we do. Rest assure that your good words for the team especially to those whom you have kindly mentioned will be relayed to them.

We are deeply grateful for the detailed experience you have shared in this review and for recommending us too! I am thrilled to hear that you were delighted by all the touch points you have encountered during your stay and by the facilities as well.

Once again, thank you for submitting this lovely review and we hope to welcome you back here again real soon!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

This is a relatively smaller sized residence in terms of the number of units. The place definitely has the home feel to it. While I had tried traveling big chain hotels where the service does feel generic and business-like sometime, the residence staff felt quite genuine in handling my day-to-day needs and questions.

I had some problems with my cooking stove on my second day and I was being emotionally upset with the staff somewhat, but they handled my situation both with care and with professionalism. Other two problems during my 4-month stay, which could arise in any home setting if you've had a home, were handled attentively and with professionalism. It helps they have a 24-hour help in terms of technical and service help.

I do have to remind the readers that the residence did require an upfront payment system for our contracts and you could be reminded on a daily basis if you are too busy to come down for the payment. My team members did make a comment on it, but this didn't bother me but still made me realize that other business hotels would not require unfront payments but would require maybe biweekly settlements of accounts after the stay.

Other than this, it has a very pleasant, clean, quiet home feel to it which I enjoyed in addition to access to all the shops and restaurants around Orchard street area in Singapore.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
8onClaymore, General Manager at 8 on Claymore Serviced Residences, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear theaudituse,

Thank you for submitting this review here on Tripadvisor!

Your comment pertaining to the daily payment reminders have been reviewed and we most certainly value your kind feedback.

I am glad to hear that the unfortunate incidents that you encountered during your stay were attended to efficiently. Your kind compliments for the team will definitely be shared with all.

It has indeed been a pleasure to hear that you have had a pleasant stay with us, and we hope to welcome you back here again real soon.

Meanwhile, here’s wishing you a great year ahead.

Patrick Fiat
Customer Experience Officer (CEO)
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

I'm reluctant to write my true feelings about 8 on Claymore for fear of letting this hidden gem become main stream....I don't want to be having to book months in advance when I want to stay there! But I would be doing the staff an injustice if I didn't come clean and shout from the rooftops what a fantastic team they have at 8 on Claymore.

Nothing is too much trouble, with every request being dealt with in a courteousness and efficient manner. There names are to many to mention, but the team headed up by Zaine (Guest Services Manager) need public recognition for their outstanding contribution to customer service.

Having stayed there as a family of 5, these serviced apartments had all the amenities we needed and a fantastic location right in the hub of Singapore. Look no further if you want high quality, non-pretentious serviced apartments.

Well done Team! (-:

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
8onClaymore, General Manager at 8 on Claymore Serviced Residences, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Dear ScottFamilyof5,

Thank you so very much for taking the time to share your experience with everyone!
With this, I am certain that the staff will most definitely be motivated to be at their best and create delightful memories for everyone who stay with us.

Zaine is indeed our gem. We will most definitely convey our utmost appreciation to him.

Once again, thank you for submitting this wonderful review. We greatly appreciate it.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

This was my first serviced apartments experience, and it was fantastic! The staff were so friendly, and gave a great welcome basket with some snacks and maps etc. Great little touches.
The apartment block is so well located. It was also my first time in Singapore so it was great to be able to quickly walk to the MRT and shops. They gave great advice on restaurants to eat at as well. The rooms are nice, the breakfast catered to all diets and the pool was amazing for sunbathing. All in all, I would definitely recommend to this to anyone staying in Singapore for an extended period.

Room Tip: I would go for the upgrade to a one bedroom or a two bedroom if you are a couple. the studio was a b...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
8onClaymore, General Manager at 8 on Claymore Serviced Residences, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Dear Tara T,

Thank you for submitting this nice review here on Tripadvisor!

It was indeed a pleasure to have been given the opportunity to be part of your first experience in Singapore! I am glad to hear of your appreciation towards the welcome basket too.

I hope that the rest of your experience in Singapore has been as wonderful and we hope to welcome you back here again soon.

Once again thank you for sharing your experience and for recommending 8 on Claymore Serviced Residences.

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

Preamble
This is my first review of our stay at a service apartment in Singapore our only other being in KL Malaysia. My wife and I both in our 40's, although mobile, would rather avoid stairs as it tends to exacerbate the pain in our joints.
Positives
Great location. Just a few minutes walk to Ion shopping center and the MRT station.
Great staff. The numerous staff that we encountered during our 7 nights were friendly and warm. They made an effort to know us by name. One even personally showed me a short cut to the Royal Plaza on Scotts which will be elaborated on later. In short, the quality of service we received reminded reminded us of stays similar to a club floor. As we were in residence over the Christmas period, they even made little gingerbread tokens which was a nice gesture.
Residence lounge. This is a family friendly lounge which is warm and cosy. The 10 -12 tables on the inside creates an 'intimate' brekky experience. Residence also have a choice to dine Al fresco with the pool as a backdrop. However, this set up also means you need to be prepared to rub shoulders with other residents if you choose to dine during peak periods as the set up does not cater to crowds.
Brekky
As clearly reflected in the website, only continental brekky is available during public holidays and Sundays. Residents have access to an Asian selection on other days. Coffee is via Nespresso pods. The food is from the carousel from the Royal Plaza on Scotts (RP) and thus of a good standard.
Areas where we had to adjust
While there were many powerpoints available, they were all for local devices. International visitors will need adapters to charge their phones, ipads etc.
There is no 1 bedroom apartment in this service residence. We found the studio premier small for our needs. Guest who values space may be better off with the 2 bedroom apartment or look elsewhere.
As space is a premium, we found the position of the toilet close to the wash basin where we placed our toothbrush etc. We had to close the lid to the toilet whenever we flushed.
Location. While the location of the service residence is unparalleled with reference to the MRT and shopping centers, the accessibility to the service residence may prove to be of a little challenge especially to guest suffering from a pain in the knees. Guest will need to walk down a hill to get to Scotts and Orchard road which can take between 4 to 6 minutes depending on speed. There is no shelter from the elements in some areas.
There is a short cut via B2 which halves that amount of time. This leads to the back of RP or the DFS Galleria. Most residents will find this very convenient. However, we had to endure stairs again even with this option. The RP option has about 12 steep stairs while the DFS option, 7 gentle stairs to get through.
On the issue of stairs, we had to climb about 7 steps to get to our studio premier room after exiting the lifts in our floor. Needless to say, this small matter started to become an issue after a few days.
Taxi's and transport - the security boom gate will open for taxis but not when you have friends picking or alighting you after a meal. Not a problem if the weather is fine, not so great when it rains.
If one needs a taxi, its easier to get it from the entrance of RP or to call one which will incur a surcharge as Claymore is not in one of the main roads.
The likelihood of my family returning to this service apartment is slim. Don't get me wrong, by all accounts as reflected by the feedback from other guest, this is a good property with many excellent features. However, you may wish to reconsider especially if you suffer from pain in the knees.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
8onClaymore, General Manager at 8 on Claymore Serviced Residences, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Dear Rafflesia,

It has indeed been a pleasure reading through the comments and I am as well grateful to you for comprehensively recounting the experience you have had whilst staying with us, thus sharing it here on Tripadvisor.

Our heartfelt thanks for allowing us the opportunity to be the first serviced apartment you have experienced here in Singapore, and hope we have made this milestone worthwhile.

I am pleased to hear that you have received great service from the team, who are the gems of 8 on Claymore Serviced Residences. Rest assured that your good word for them will definitely be shared to all.

I am sorry to hear that the layout of the building as a whole and the surroundings were not in your favour. On the same note, we hope that the condition of your knee has improved since.

Your comments have been closely reviewed and I have taken note of the points where changes are feasible; to cater to the conveniences of our guests.

Nevertheless, we still hope that this will not entirely deter you from returning to stay with us again. Meanwhile, here’s wishing you and your family a wonderful year ahead.

Thank you.

Inverness, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

Hard to fault, location, staff friendliness and service, modern design and price (for Singapore!) all excellent. My only minor point would be that no 1 bedroom apartments available, the studio's are quite small and the 2 bedrooms much bigger obviously, but nothing in between.

Definitely recommended for shorter term rentals, if you going to be "living" there you would need the 2 bedroom.

Effa and the rest of the staff deserve a special mention, nothing a problem, always friendly and welcoming. Manager please note, your staff are a credit to the business.

Room Tip: Go for the 2 bedroom if you can afford it!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
8onClaymore, General Manager at 8 on Claymore Serviced Residences, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Dear Getitupya,

Firstly, thank you for this excellent review!

Your kind words for Effa and the team is very much appreciated. It will most definitely encourage them to strive at what they do. I do whole-heartedly agree with you that the staff are indeed the gems and credit to the business.

Once again, thank you for this very nice review and we hope to welcome you back again real soon.

Regards,
Chief Experience Officer (CEO)

Been to 8 on Claymore Serviced Residences? Share your experiences!