“The Backpackers' Hostel for the Sociables” 3 of 5 stars

125 lavender street, Singapore, Singapore   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #44 of 184 Specialty Lodging in Singapore
Manila, Philippines
“The Backpackers' Hostel for the Sociables”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Got to stay here for 2 nights when I traveled alone and I must say you need to hang around their common area to understand why this is the top hostel in Singapore. On my way to this hostel, I was already having some doubts about staying in this place as it was still 10-15 minute walk from MRT Lavender station, and on the way are some shady or boarded up buildings (very un-Singapore like). When David showed me around, all I can see were wooden tables and swing, and two common shower areas. It was my first time to check in a such a place that I surprised me a bit. The corridor to the rooms were a bit dark and quiet that I was considering checking out the next day! My consolation that moment was that they upgraded me to a capsule bed from the dorm bed I initially booked. My bed looked so cute and the shade gave me enough privacy.

On my first night, I was able to talk with some of the residents of the hostel who are very friendly. I got invited for a drink and I felt more comfortable. That was when I realized that people have been raving about this hostel not because of its facilities but because of its residents. Meeting new people and hanging out with them is the highlight of my stay here that I regretted not staying more than two days. Their common area turned out to be the coziest place I've hung out in.

Room Tip: If you need a bit of privacy but is on budget, I'd recommend getting a capsule bed
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Pointe aux Canonniers
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

The staff is very very sweet ( like most people in singapore)
the capsule are ok size wise and price wise - aircon is good temperature and it was silent ( but still do use ear plugs !!! ) my bf had the best sleep since he ever arrived in singapore !!! but i found the capsule smelled like feet so i sprayed all of it , the bathroom are ok , the little garden roof top is cute and little kitchen practical.
I couldnt stay there more then one night cause i was with my bf and had alot of buggages.

Not far from a cheap food court but not very charming location cause it is on one main road .
Does the job ! for a couple of nights and for the price ( 40 $ the double capsule)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Berlin, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I had a great time in SG thanks to this Hostel. Very good located, cool backpackers staying there, so we had a lot of fun. Stuff was great, very helpful with every single think I asked them. Thanks Jonathan!!!

Chiang Mai, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for about two weeks and had a great time getting to know the staff and other guests. I was impressed by David's (aka the boss) warm professionalism. I had booked in advance online directly with the hostel, and he was quite generous in ensuring that we got the best value. Through observation based on our time there, it is evident that he constantly works to make the hostel as comfortable and welcoming as possible. Jonathan (also on staff) should himself be a destination of Singapore even above the Merlion (he would probably even spout water from his mouth if you asked nicely). He has a tremendous gift for hospitality and was always willing to go above and beyond in helping out. Besides his zeal for kindness, he is a great resource. Although I tried with the utmost verve to stump him with bizarre questions about Singapore, potential itineraries, and strange Chinese phrases, he was consistent in providing satisfactory answers and input.
In reaction to some of the less glowing reviews, I would add that hosteling isn't for everyone. Snoring competitions and night owls are inherent risks in any hostel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Augsburg, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I really enjoyed my stay at the Little Red Dot. It's a very nice and clean hostel with a good atmosphere. Whatever you prefer, having a good nights sleep in a comfortable bed or having some drinks and a chat with other travellers, both is possible. The staff is lovely and very helpful. Especially Jonathan. Whatever you want to know, what to do during daytime or nighttime or where to find the best and cheapest food, he will have the answer!!!
I'll definitely be back there the next time i visit Singapore.

Ostschweiz
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

Booked on hostel.com but they couldn't find my reservation. Could not retrieve it myself because their wifi sucks. $42 per bed advertised on hostel.com as "1 bed dorm" whatever that means. It sounds like a private room but isn't. $4 extra charge if you want a towel, $20 key deposit if you want to secure your stuff. Shower logistics are terrible - there is no real place to change or put your things so they won't get soaked. The wifi barely worked and the employee working just said "yea sometimes it's really slow" - typical Singapore - don't do anything about it or fix it, just stare blankly and nod. Dorm was full of noise, light, was too hot and impossible to sleep due to people coming and going and snoring #%[%#]^ (I spent my time not being able to sleep fantasizing about giving them the private Pyle full metal jacket treatment). Even though it really sucks you're better off with a ghetto hotel 81 room for $65 - at least you stand a chance of getting some sleep although for some reason those hotels always seem to be full of Chinese people screaming in the hallway at all hours. Singapore unlike many other places in south east Asia is a really unpleasant place to explore "the lower end of the spectrum". You're lucky if you get good service in a five star hotel let alone somewhere cheap. The prince of whales is a far better hostel for cheaper and a better location too!

• Stayed September 2012
rl86, Owner at @ Little Red Dot, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Hi Brian,

Thanks for your review, Usually we are pretty bad with our response to reviews, but has decided to make an exception with your review.

Had the opportunity to review the rest of the 9 reviews you made for Singapore, you are really a seasoned traveller to Singapore and can't help but noticed that you have stayed in hotels from 5 stars to a starless hotel, then was really surprised that Singapore as a destination has left you with such a poor experience.

With the exception of the Mandarin Hotel, the rest of the accommodation has clearly fell below your expectations. If there is any consolation, I noticed that Little Red Dot has done decently well compared to our competition set which you have stayed in. Glad that we ranked well in location with you.

Speaking specifically about your reservation, I remembered that you have made an 11th hour last minute reservation and prior to your booking- you have also called us to clarify on the bed type which you were booking for. I had the opportunity to personally take your call and clearly explained the bed type to you. Was really surprised that you booked this bed type to start with given the queries you had. I guess you really had to give a try. Your reservation was always there, it is a last minute reservation which we had to check from the distributor who gave us your booking. I guess finally getting you a capsule to stay was the most important.

I guess that we given your brief stay of less than 12 hours, we did not get a chance to meet and get to know each other like what we hope to do with our guests. Nonetheless you had enough time to have an impression.

Your feedback is very much appreciated. I hope that you can be a friend for Singapore !

LOVE TO HAVE YOU IN SINGAPORE AGAIN ! : )

I will love to meet you in person the next time if we get the chance.

Cheers
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

The station where you can catch your bus to Malaysia has moved to a few streets away and a little hard to find because there is no sign outside. David at the hostel was kind enough to drop me off there and picked me up when I returned. Such a nice guy!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to @ Little Red Dot? Share your experiences!