“Good and Bad, depending how you look at it” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Porcelain Hotel

You added The Porcelain Hotel to your Saves list
The Porcelain Hotel
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   48 Mosque Street, Singapore 059526, Singapore (Chinatown)   |
Ranked #7 of 67 Singapore B&B and Inns
Kuala Lumpur
“Good and Bad, depending how you look at it”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

I have mixed feeling about this hotel. We booked the deluxe room and was upgraded to the executive room. Our sincere thank to the hotel for such great offer. My immediate feeling when I got into the room was, this is the upgraded room and just wonder how small would it be for the deluxe room that we booked originally. Not to mention the other 2 lower grade room i.e. superior and the standard room.

We have no problem with the small room as long as they plan and design it nicely. The hotel definitely scores high in the cosy and nice design. However there is hardly any storage space in the room. Not evern a proper place to hang the wet towel. The hanger above the toilet ball is only enough for a small tower. In the executive room there are many drawers of the cabinets but I do not know how can these be useful. We are for a short weekend getaway so luggage is considered small. I wonder for long distance travellers how would the space fits in.

The design of the hotel is sleek modern design, hence if you are looking for some chinese tradition feel, this would not be the hotel either.

Like some of the review here, it is good for a short stay like us we only stayed 1 night. To be honest we would not return if given a chance.

We think it is really on the over priced range.

p/s : even our executive room has no window. Personally we are ok with it as it would be quieter since the hotel is by the road side.

Room Tip: Be aware for the rooms with no window. Make the request in advance if possible.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Wellington, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

The rooms really are micro. I also was upgraded so I hate to think what the really small ones are like. However they are very clean and tidy, the staff are attentive, the windows can open, the price is reasonable and the area has lots of cheap eats.

Room Tip: Do ask to be upgraded to a larger than minimum room. Also given one of the reviews above, do ask for...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2011

I chose this hotel after finding a decent price in booking.com. I had stayed in the hostel across the street and chose to stay on the same street again because of the convenient location next to the MRT and it's location near the food street and food centre.

I arrived early morning and the staff did my registration. When I returned, I had been checked in and my luggage, which was in storage had already been sent to my room. I thought that this was good service.

I splurged and booked a superior room for the additional space. When I got to my room, I found it to be quite small, and was not sure if it was a superior size room. There was a small counter where you could store clothing underneath and where the mini fridge was located. Other than that, there was about a strip, 1 foot wide beside the bed. I had no room to place my luggage and had to put on top of the counter. This room had very little space, so I called the front desk to ask what type of room they had given me and they responded that I got a deluxe room and that I was upgraded for free. I checked the website and there is no such thing as a deluxe room. I am still convinced that I did not receive a superior size room as there was no space at all.

Other than the lack of space in the room, it was very clean, and there was a window, and the bed was comfortable. The walls are very thin though as I heard my neighbors arguing as if they were in the same room.

I called down to ask if they hotel had a scale I could use to weigh my luggage. They responded that the airport had scales. Just a polite 'no' would have been fine.

I rated this hotel average because it is clean and I felt safe, but felt it had some short comings where I don't think I received the room I paid for. As well the staff don't seem very knowledgeable and the sound proofing between rooms is lacking.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2011

The exterior and website looks good. However the rooms are a complete joke. Windowless, dark, poor ventilation and tiny. Not suitable even for a rat

• Stayed December 2011
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

I came here twice in two weeks. The first visit, I was upgraded to the Superior room. The second visit, I was upgraded to the Executive room. There was really no difference between the two rooms. Both are quite small, but beautifully decorated. My second room had small bugs around the sink area, but on the whole, the hotel is quite clean.

The quality of wifi is excellent. A computer is also available in the hallway.

The service is quite good. Receptionists were very pleasant and polite.

Bring flip flops or sandals because there is no separation of the shower from the toilet area. A lot of the ground area becomes wet. From a western perspective, this hotel will seem very small and minuscule. The bathroom and size remind me more of Asian housing/living standards.

• Stayed December 2011
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

Probably the name of the hotel suggested it all... it is a tad too small.... the location is superb but given the price tat we are paying for..... it is not worth it.....

there are many others in the same area with the same size but probably abut run down but cost 50% - 70% less.....

it is not worth it,,,,,,,,,

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Muscat
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

Stayed at this hotel for 4 nights. I read the reviews first, and they were positive. We knew to expect small, but we're not the biggest people. There is no space to walk in the rooms. The bath is kind of glass walled, but it isn't see thro' glassed. the bed was big and comfy enough and there's a small space under it for shoes, bags, etc. Our towels were changed, our shower room cleaned daily. You get a safe, there's tea & coffee and you get two bottles of water every day.

At first, our room smelt badly, as if cats had got stuck in there, so we told reception and they moved us to a room opposite, which was much better. This one also had a window. The rooms wouldn't be comfortable for bigger people but were fine for us. You can lay on the bed and watch the TV if you want, proper big wall tv's, but we go on holiday to see the sights not stay in the room. I'm pretty sure there isn't a bar in the hotel, but the area immediately outside has everything you could want.

Room Tip: Not good for larger guests, window rooms better.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Porcelain Hotel? Share your experiences!