“Easily forgettable food but nice view” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Salt grill & Sky bar

Salt grill & Sky bar
2 Orchard Turn | Level 55 & 56 ION Orchard, Singapore, Singapore (Orchard Road)
+65 6592 5118
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #395 of 7,256 Restaurants in Singapore
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Doing business, Scenic view
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Orchard Road
Description: Salt grill & Sky bar by celebrity chef-restaurateur Luke Mangan presents a refreshed look with an added exclusive dining area on the 56th floor for diners seeking utmost privacy as well as a brand new bar on the mezzanine floor. The kitchen of the all-day restaurant is helmed by recently-appointed Chef Mathew Leighton, the youngest Executive Chef in the group. Serving modern Australian cuisine and New World Wines, diners can enjoy stunning views of Singapore amidst a modern-chic setting coupled with unparalleled service.
Singapore
“Easily forgettable food but nice view”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

Sat at a table for two near the window panels. Was surprised how close the tables were. I could hear the conversations from the next table.

Ordered executive set lunch for two. Around $50 for entree and mains. It was very reasonably priced for an otherwise expensive ala carte menu around $70-80 per main.

Entree was a salmon sashimi dish. First bite was too salty due to uneven seasoning. Otherwise, it was an ok sashimi dish. My partner had an omelette with crab meat that reminded me of the taste of dried oysters.

For mains, I had a fish with long beans. I would have preferred asparagus instead of long beans. Honestly, nothing special about this dish. Something that my MIL cooks at home every other day and I regretted ordering it. My partner had steak. It was unevenly cooked and lack the juiciness of a medium rare steak.

The best servings were the sides we ordered - fries and mushrooms. The mushrooms were juciy and delicious. Serving was generous. Fries were crispy and evenly seasoned.

It is a nice place to bring a date but find the food not up to the standards of what they are charging. For an executive lunch, it is ok. But I won't be back for dinner if this is the quality of food they are serving for lunch.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Miami, Australia
“Never fail.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

We have eaten at several of Luke's restaurants and this one exceptional as it had the great service, food and a view to die for, 55 floors up.

Not to be missed for that special occasion or just for the sake of it...

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Terrigal, Australia
“Awesome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

We had a table of 10 (all Aussies) to celebrate a special occasion.
We decided on the set meal which I have to say was lovely. The food was delicious and presentation was exactly what you would expect from a world class restaurant
The service was very good, ambience was excellent and we thoroughly enjoyed our experience
The view from our table was amazing looking over Singapore, would definitely recommend this restaurant for any occasion especially a special event!
Well done!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Sweet!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

My second visit - first for dinner - affirmed my belief that this is one of the best dining experiences in Singapore. The views are stunning, the service informed and attentive, the portions generous and the flavors sublime.

Go easy on the tapas if you want to do justice to the main course - two tapas for two is just right. Try to keep place for some dessert - they let you share.

The only disappointment was the bar. We got there about 20 minutes ahead of time and got tucked away into this left of centre table with a nothing-by-nothing view. The walk up ramp could have accommodated a few tables - dunno. But it was not much of a dampner fortunately. The wine list kinda made up for the lack of a view too.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Alasdair F, General Manager at Salt grill & Sky bar, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thanks for your kind words, it's great to hear you enjoyed yourself, and it's fantastic to hear that we got it right for you.

The tapas are definitely substantial, they're the same size as the entrees, we simply call them tapas because they're easier to share. And yes I'd agree, two tapas for two if you're moving on to main course and dessert sounds perfect.

We'd love to have tables on the ramp, but unfortunately we're not allowed, and I would guess that anybody sitting on the ramp might be uncomfortable with the way that guests wander up and down and often pause for viewing, or photos. I like the idea though!

I'm sorry about the table in the bar, the space is cosy with just nine tables. Almost all of the tables are either high tables looking toward Marina Bay, or lower tables that overlook the restaurant and the south west view. There's one table that is on the edge of the bar and it's definitely for last resort use.

Thanks again, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Salt grill & Sky bar soon.
Singapore, Singapore
“Sky View Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

My husband and I tried the executive lunch to celebrate his birthday.
The view was great and I am pleased we paid the extra $20 to secure a window seat.
The setting and service was good and the food first rate. To start, we had the salad of butter lettuce with shaved onions, roast walnuts and Roquefort (I really liked the grated blue cheese) plus the chargrilled chorizo, red pepper salsa and fresh buffalo mozzarella.
For our main course we had the penne pasta with almond pesto, parmesan and feta (this was very good and we will try something similar at home) and the beef tenderloin.
Finally we managed to squeeze in the hazelnut cake with burnt butter ice cream for dessert which was delicious.
I would recommend this restaurant for special occasions as it is expensive but on the occasion we visited, it was worth it for the quality of the food and the great view.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere