“Good kaiseki” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Goto Japanese Restaurant

Goto Japanese Restaurant
14 Ann Siang Road #01-01, Singapore 069694, Singapore (Chinatown)
6438-1553
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #154 of 7,254 Restaurants in Singapore
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Description: Indulge in the flavours of superb Japanese cuisine at Goto. It has garnered rave reviews owing mostly to the exquisite hand of Chef Hisao Goto, who was formerly a chef to Japanese ambassadors and diplomats.
Singapore
“Good kaiseki”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

On lovely Ann Siang hill. Not the cheapest, but even the less expensive kaiseki ($188 each) was a succession of fresh, well-presented, and moresome (though by the end one would definitely not feel famished) dishes. Nothing particularly novel or conceptual, but for a dependable meal in an intimate setting perfect for small groups one could definitely do far worse.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Singapore
“Exquisite!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

My friends & I were here for lunch, celebrating a birthday. We were seated at the back of the restaurant with another group celebrating a birthday as well.

The food here is exquisite and the service is excellent. Run by Japanese and I like this place way better than the Japanese restaurants in Orchard.. The decor may not be as upmarket but the service is SUPER attentive. When they know we are celebrating a birthday, the birthday girl for a special fish platter.

You can tell the food are really exquisiteness prepared by the hands of a Japanese chef. What a great find!

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Singapore, Singapore
“Small Japanese in Paranakan shophosue”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I went to Goto for lunch and had a Kaiseki lunch. The chef was previously the Japanese Ambassador to Singapore's chef, and you are treated to a fantastic seasonal menu determined by the chef - i.e. you either have lunch or you don't. The service was excellent and the staff friendly. This was particularly noteworthy given it was my first time to have Kaiseki, and wasn't really sure what was going on. Each course was very tasty and I can only write good things about the food. It was quite pricey but not outside the realms of what Singapore high-end places usually charge. I would recommend this for a business lunch as well as it is quite small and quiet.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Amazing and original experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

We came here for a friend's 50th birthday dinner and were seated in the private room area at the back of the restaurant. It was the first time I had visited Goto (and definitely not the last!). We had the 7 course degustation menu and everything that came was carefully designed to reflect a particular season, in this case autumn/winter. An unbelievable assortment of tastes, many of which I had not experienced before (well, have you ever tasted whale sperm?!). The chef was previously the cook for the Japanese ambassador and one can understand why.

Rome, Italy
“A fabulous dining experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I was searching for a nice restaurant to celebrate my hubby's birthday and found this gem online. At first glance, the prices seem to be on the high side but considering that the restaurant is offering kaiseki (equivalent to Western haute cuisine) I felt they are pretty reasonable. The lunch menu is S$68++ while the dinner menu is S$180-280++.

The restaurant was fully booked for dinner on the day I wanted to make reservations so I decided to go for the lunch. A reservation is highly recommended as the restaurant is very small, with just a handful of tables.

The lunch menu consisted of 6 courses and every dish is excellent! Each dish was presented very beautifully and the lady boss patiently explained each dish to us. We cannot remember the Japanese names of the dishes but it ranged from cold tofu, sashimi, asssorted tempura, stewed pork, udon to desserts. The portion of each dish may seem small but they make a very satisfying meal at the end.

Our total bill came to over S$160 for 2 persons (we did not order any sake). I felt the food, service and overall experience was worth every cent. I will definitely return to try out the dinner menu soon. I highly recommend this place to anyone looking for exquisite Japanese food. It is a perfect place for a leisurely paced meal.

• Visited September 2012