“Decent location. Bad service.” 2 of 5 stars

Park Regis Singapore
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   23 Merchant Road, Singapore 058268, Singapore   |
Ranked #58 of 291 hotels in Singapore
Singapore, Singapore
“Decent location. Bad service.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011

This new hotel near Clarke Quay in Singapore is in a good location; close to the business district, but also near the river and good night spots.

The hotel is brand new. The rooms are small, but modern and stylish (though a bit cheap). There are a few things about the rooms that I found a bit annoying. For example, the shower door opens out into the rest of the bathroom, flush along the floor -- making use of a bath mat impossible (pushed away when the door is opened), so you're going to get a wet floor. And (I don't know how many of you are bothered by this), the soap dish in the shower is a flat piece of metal (with no grooves or holes), so the soap sticks to it and you need a screw-driver to pry it off the dish to use it. It's not a huge flaw, but these two things suggest that whoever designed the rooms did not actually try using them or put much thought into the experience for guests. That lack of effort bothers me.

The small pool and gym are satisfactory, and the lobby and lounge are alright.

My big problem with this hotel is the lack of service culture and the attitude of the front desk staff. I arrived directly from the airport after an international flight. Upon check-in, the receptionist had a problem with the credit card machine. For a 5-night stay at just under S$300 per night, they required blocking S$2600 on my credit card (apparently they were worried that I was going to steal the furniture -- though I'm not sure the furniture would even be worth that much). After a few tries (there was a problem with their connection, not with my card), she instructed me to wait. I was kept at the front desk for nearly 25 minutes (they wouldn't give me the room key until they had my credit card blocked), rather than the staff just asking me to come back later to try -- even though I asked to go to my room and suggested we try later.

Upon sign-in, they also inform guests that there is a S$300 penalty for smoking in the room. And they made me initial that clause on the form, separate from my signature at the bottom (despite the fact that I requested a non-smoking room, anyway). I have not experienced this one at any other hotel.

I stay in business hotels more than 100 nights per year -- many of those in Singapore. Some hotels know how to make their guests feel welcome. Others are obviously much more concerned about making sure they get your money and making sure that you can't cheat them. This hotel does not make me feel welcome. It makes me feel like they are doing me a favor by letting me stay there, while they make sure they get their money.

It's put me off...I shall not be staying here again...There are far too many alternatives in Singapore, and there are some hotels that really understand customer service (this is not one of them).

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
park_regis2011, General Manager at Park Regis Singapore, responded to this review, October 12, 2011
Dear keithfitz

First and foremost, I am sorry to learn of your concerns with your recent stay and at the outset would like to offer my sincere apologies for the disappointment you have expressed.

With regards to the hotel and room design, we understand that the design and style of each hotel as well as the dimension of its rooms is and can be a very subjective matter of taste. In this particular case, we regret that our rooms were not to your expectations.

In addition, we would like to seek your kind understanding that that the SGD2600 was a pre-authorization (holding amount) and not an actual charge until and unless expenses were actually incurred. This total amount includes the daily room charges and incidentals for 6 nights that you have stayed here.

Nevertheless, thank you so much for taking the care and time to review us. We are grateful for your feedback as it enables us to continually monitor our guests’ requirements and we do hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Park Regis Singapore in the near future.

636 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

My friend stayed there for his recent business trip. Wen over and found that the hotel is so nice. Just 5 mins walking distance from Clark Quay Mrt. Near to shopping mall, food, drinks and music :)

The room space is just nice for 2, toilet indeed is small but clean. Overall, worth the price.

p/s: no breakfast provided.

Dear fumoffu
Thank you so much for taking the time to review and your nice comments about us. We are delighted to know that you and your friend have thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and that you like the location of our hotel. It is truly heartwarming to know our efforts to provide quality service is being appreciated by you!

With regards to your concern, we do provide daily buffet breakfast at our all day-dining restaurant – Suite 23 from 6.30am to 10.30am for just $28++ per person.

Once again, thank you for taking your time to provide your invaluable feedback and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Bangkok
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

Location is fantastic. Walk to Chinatown for excellent cheap hawker food and some atmosphere, or stroll to the river and (if you can stand listening to their whining) live it up with the pommie expat public schoolboys and girls at the (very) expensive clubs and eateries on the river. The MRT station is close too - so all in all this is a great spot. The hotel is modern and clean. What more do you want in this price range? The one downside was the cost of the business centre... Extortionate!!!

Room Tip: It doesn't matter - go cheap and get out and explore
Dear BangkokStu

Thank you very much for taking the time to review and compliment us. We are delighted to know that we managed to exceed your expectation and that you appreciate our prime location.

With regards to the charges mentioned, we have taken note all of your comments and we will certainly review the pricing so as to provide a more competitive service for our guests. We are grateful for your feedback as it enables us to continually monitor our guest’s requirements and we do hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Park Regis Singapore again.

Dunfirmline Fife
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

My husband and i stayed here for 8 nights. After reading some of the reviews I was a little concerned as I had made the booking a couple of month ago. I needn't have worried. Yes the rooms are compact but you only shower and sleep in them after all. We opted for a poolside room which was a real bonus and helped us maintain our 'Cool'. The hotel is so handy for lively Clarke Quay and a stroll down to China town. All the staff were so eager to help and were very efficient. The place was imaculate. We had breakfast there several mornings and it set us up for the day. Have to agree with a previous advisor that the coffee was poor but that seemed to prevail at most cafe's we tried. Most seem to use condensed milk!! If we went back to Singapore we would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for poolside room
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
park_regis2011, General Manager at Park Regis Singapore, responded to this review, September 15, 2011
Dear JoebDunfirmlineFife

Thank you so much for taking the time to review and your nice comments about us. We are delighted to know that we managed to exceed your expectations and that you have thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. It is truly heartwarming to know our efforts to provide quality service is being appreciated by you and your husband!

We are grateful for your feedback as it enables us to continually monitor our guest’s expectations and we hope to welcome you and your husband back to Park Regis Singapore soon.

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

Good location on Clarkes Quay. Lovely but small room ( shared with a friend). Had B'fast in the hotel on one morning, it was lovely ( but terrible coffee). Friendly , helpful staff. Used the 'business centre' to keep up with my emails and found that good for computer access. Lovely pool and fitness centre.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Dear MerefromBrissy

Thank you very much for taking the time to review and complement us. We are glad that you have enjoyed our breakfast and our facilities and we have noted your comments about the coffee and will certainly look into improving the quality.

We look forward to having you back with us soon.

Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

I stayed here for 2 nights whilst on business in Singapore and found it to be perfect for my needs.
The hotel is still fairly new and some taxi drivers found it difficult to locate and it's also in a one way system so once they go wrong you need to go roudn the block again. The wait for check in was a bit slow as there was only one person on reception but the actual process was relatively quick.
The rooms are a good size for a business trip and have everything one might need i.e. iron, ironing board, mini bar, kettle etc. Broadband is extra and I didn't use this.
The food was good - it's not going for a michelin star but what I ate was fine. room service was quick and i got waht I asked for. In room breakfast was a little late but nothing too bad and I was missing my drink and pepper which I had requested (again not a major thing)
Check out was quick and the service in gereral was friendly and polite.
Not sure if I would stay here as part of a holiday but it's perfect for a business trip

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Dear HKtravelHK

Thank you so much for your wonderful compliments on the hotel. We are thrilled to know that we have catered to your needs and that you have enjoyed dining with us. Being centrally located in the Central Business District, we pride ourselves to be in a prime location for business travelers like you.

We have taken note all of your comments and we will certainly pass them on to our staff in order to improve our services offered to you. Once again, thank you for taking your time to provide your invaluable feedback and we hope to have you back with us soon.

Jakarta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

Stayed at the hotel already twice and still find the location and the design very much ok, also they have some good deals on some internet sites.
BUT:
- internet is VERY expensive
- breakfast is VERY expensive (staff not too attentive and had to argue last time that the request for green tea was included in breakfast - tea bag, not open tea...)
- check/in, check/out slow, request for late check out on Sunday was NOT granted (I was asking for 14.00 - as they were 'fully booked' on that day - Sunday, 14.00????)
- beer and drinks at nice open air bar RIDICULOUSLY expensive (more than in night bars in Singapore)
Next time will only take the room and go to nearby places for breakfast or drinks.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Dear expatjakarta

First and foremost, we would like to thank you for your kind comments about the location and design, and the fact that you have stayed with us twice means a lot to us.

With regards to the charges mentioned, we have taken note all of your comments and we will certainly review the pricing so as to provide a more competitive service for our guests. Also as we were running high occupancy in the month of July, we were unfortunately unable to extend late checkout to you as our check in timing is at 1400hrs. We wish to seek your kind understanding on this.

Jason Dowd

Been to Park Regis Singapore? Share your experiences!