“Spartan, but hey, it's Singapore” 3 of 5 stars

Amrise Hotel
112 Sims Ave | Geylang, Singapore 387436, Singapore   |
Ranked #219 of 293 Hotels in Singapore
Seattle, Washington
“Spartan, but hey, it's Singapore”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Going into this hotel experience, I knew I'd be paying above average for at the very most, an average room, and that's pretty much what the room was. The room was small, the bed took up most of the space, and there were no windows save the tiny one in the bathroom.

But, it's safe and clean, the front-desk is brisk but nice, it's 3 metro stops away from City Hall, it's near tons of cheap street food, and it's in Singapore, so prices are going to be higher. My only two compaints were regarding the lack of a top sheet, as the bed had a scruffy blanket for a cover, which my husband and I couldn't bring ourselves to use and slept in our warmer clothes instead (cold air-con). The other complaint was our inability to control the air-con temp. We normally sleep with the air-con at a warmer temp than it is set at and we had to chose between freezing in the room, refusing to use the blanket, or sweating it out if we turned the air off.

Despite the sheet and air-con complaints, this hotel does the job of letting you stay in Singapore on the (relatively) cheap, with your own room, your own bathroom, and a quick trip to most things in the city.

Room Tip: Some rooms are noisier than others due to street noise, so ask at the front desk about quieter ones.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

I've been in this hotel for three times and all the times it was great, is cheap for be in Singapore 60 S$ for a single room with a queen size bed, the rooms are very clean and the staff is the best , Hy guys I'm Alessandro from Indonesia :)

• Stayed January 2013
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

It's hard to be fair to this hotel - it's kind of scungy but then it is a very cheap hotel in a very expensive city and you need to keep your expectations in line with that. On my first night there I was treated to the sounds of loud music and screaming children, as well as weird smells and people smoking out the windows in the hallway (I honestly got the impression that this is the kind of place poor people live when they've been evicted - it might not be, but that's what it felt like). The room itself was small and basic, but somewhat better kept than the rest of the building and not falling to pieces in any obvious way. Close-ish to the MRT station and thence on to the airport (on my last day I actually went to the airport first thing and left my luggage there rather than at the hotel so I wouldn't have to make an extra stop later on). Tolerable, but if this is the only hotel you can afford, I'd have to suggest you accept that you are in the "hostel" and not "hotel" demographics when it comes to countries like this.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Hagondange, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

Very quick trensfert to the airport and marina bay! You can found a lot of Asian restorants. About the room.... I booked a superior room, superior it's just if you want a window in your room!! The room was so horrible a lot of mushroom in the bathroom, bad climatisation.... Next time I'll try the Sand hotel Marina Bay!!

• Stayed February 2013
Zhanjiang, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I live in China and have stayed in a lot of Asian hotels. This place is older, but very clean, and for the money very reasonable. Remember, this is Singapore. The rooms are bigger than what you would get in Hong Kong for the same price, plus the amenities are better. The water pressure is good and the water is hot. AC works good and the neighborhood is fun. There are lots of good Chinese restaurants here.
We are on our way to Malaysia, and will be coming back through Singapore for a couple of days and will definitely stay here.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
mumbai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

we chose amrise because of the price it offered. we had read quite a few scary reviews and were extremley apprehensive booking this hotel. however all of ours fears vanished the minute we stepped in. the guy at the reception was quite frindly and allowed us to look at a few rooms before we chose ours. yes the rooms are tinyy but very clean and in good condition. there is a mini fridge, air con and a decent sized bathroom. 2 plastic glassed with coffee sachets reitrated that we were truly at a budget place. recommended only for those who will be out the whole day experiencing the outdoors and need to a place to spend the night. there hotel is on quite a busy street and contary to what a few reviews suggest, unless one knew, u would not realize thst the district is a famouse red light area. very convenient as a lot of eating joints around and the metro station too making it very convenient for budget travellers.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Penang Island, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Took a transit flight of a budget airline, hence can't stay in one of Changi's transit hotels. Saw a review here in trip advisor for this hotel and opted to try.

For a budget traveller, or those in transit and needs a place to rest near the airport, this hotel is recommended (SGD17 on taxi). Rooms are small but for a couple of hours to stay and sleep, I didn't really mind at all. I would recommend to book through agoda or any internet booking sites. I believe it's cheaper. I didn't have a booking so I had to walk-in and ask. Offered a room for SGD89 (he say's the cheaper SGD50+ rooms were no longer available).

Fast check-in and check-out. I'm not sure if elevators are available. The guy at the reception pointed the stairs for me to use. My room was on the third floor.

If you have an early flight to catch the following day, better leave early, as there are only few taxi passing this area (I left 7AM to catch a 8:30AM flight). Airport to hotel is approx 10min. Or maybe try the train.

For a quick stop, I would say the overall stay is OK.

Room Tip: Can hear vehicles if rooms are facing the street (Sims Ave), but bearable.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Been to Amrise Hotel? Share your experiences!