“It will do. I suppose.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #218 of 293 Hotels in Singapore
Sydney, Australia
“It will do. I suppose.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

It's hard to be fair to this hotel - it's kind of scungy but then it is a very cheap hotel in a very expensive city and you need to keep your expectations in line with that. On my first night there I was treated to the sounds of loud music and screaming children, as well as weird smells and people smoking out the windows in the hallway (I honestly got the impression that this is the kind of place poor people live when they've been evicted - it might not be, but that's what it felt like). The room itself was small and basic, but somewhat better kept than the rest of the building and not falling to pieces in any obvious way. Close-ish to the MRT station and thence on to the airport (on my last day I actually went to the airport first thing and left my luggage there rather than at the hotel so I wouldn't have to make an extra stop later on). Tolerable, but if this is the only hotel you can afford, I'd have to suggest you accept that you are in the "hostel" and not "hotel" demographics when it comes to countries like this.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Hagondange, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

Very quick trensfert to the airport and marina bay! You can found a lot of Asian restorants. About the room.... I booked a superior room, superior it's just if you want a window in your room!! The room was so horrible a lot of mushroom in the bathroom, bad climatisation.... Next time I'll try the Sand hotel Marina Bay!!

• Stayed February 2013
Zhanjiang, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I live in China and have stayed in a lot of Asian hotels. This place is older, but very clean, and for the money very reasonable. Remember, this is Singapore. The rooms are bigger than what you would get in Hong Kong for the same price, plus the amenities are better. The water pressure is good and the water is hot. AC works good and the neighborhood is fun. There are lots of good Chinese restaurants here.
We are on our way to Malaysia, and will be coming back through Singapore for a couple of days and will definitely stay here.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
mumbai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

we chose amrise because of the price it offered. we had read quite a few scary reviews and were extremley apprehensive booking this hotel. however all of ours fears vanished the minute we stepped in. the guy at the reception was quite frindly and allowed us to look at a few rooms before we chose ours. yes the rooms are tinyy but very clean and in good condition. there is a mini fridge, air con and a decent sized bathroom. 2 plastic glassed with coffee sachets reitrated that we were truly at a budget place. recommended only for those who will be out the whole day experiencing the outdoors and need to a place to spend the night. there hotel is on quite a busy street and contary to what a few reviews suggest, unless one knew, u would not realize thst the district is a famouse red light area. very convenient as a lot of eating joints around and the metro station too making it very convenient for budget travellers.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Penang Island, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Took a transit flight of a budget airline, hence can't stay in one of Changi's transit hotels. Saw a review here in trip advisor for this hotel and opted to try.

For a budget traveller, or those in transit and needs a place to rest near the airport, this hotel is recommended (SGD17 on taxi). Rooms are small but for a couple of hours to stay and sleep, I didn't really mind at all. I would recommend to book through agoda or any internet booking sites. I believe it's cheaper. I didn't have a booking so I had to walk-in and ask. Offered a room for SGD89 (he say's the cheaper SGD50+ rooms were no longer available).

Fast check-in and check-out. I'm not sure if elevators are available. The guy at the reception pointed the stairs for me to use. My room was on the third floor.

If you have an early flight to catch the following day, better leave early, as there are only few taxi passing this area (I left 7AM to catch a 8:30AM flight). Airport to hotel is approx 10min. Or maybe try the train.

For a quick stop, I would say the overall stay is OK.

Room Tip: Can hear vehicles if rooms are facing the street (Sims Ave), but bearable.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dumaguete Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Amrise might be considered in Singapore as a Budget Hotel, even the rate is almost triple to other South East Asian Budget Hotels. However it seem on the lower cost-size for Singapore.

The Hotel is easy to reach from public transportation (MRT, bus). The rooms are pretty small but nobody goes as a tourist to Singapore to stay in a room. (We went for a 3 night long weekend). We were on the 3rd floor - room 319- facing the mainstreet. The 2 small windows blocked the noise of the busy street very good. The water pressure was fine and the water hot. Aircon was working just fine, but might need a cleaning.

The staff was efficient, helpful and friendly answering all questions and giving advices how to get to the tourist attraction the easiest, fastest or cheapest way.

Our rooms were cleaned daily and we got fresh towels, 2 small bottles Water and 2 sachets coffee complimentary. There are many small shops around, so no problem to get some snacks or drinks for late night and store it in the ref in the room.

WiFi in our room had a good signal and the speed was good enough to watch news on a live-stream.

The TV was a kind of useless for us. while it is a nice small flat-screen, we only had 9 Chinese (or so) channels with very bad picture quality. Maybe there would have been effort to fix that, but we did not complain, as our purpose of the trip was not watching TV.

Sometimes, budget traveler might not even think about taking "expensive" Taxi, but in Singapore they are usually pretty valuable. As the Hotel is located between 2 MRT stations, you can either carry your luggage 700 meter through busy streets when checking out or take a air-con Taxi to the airport for 15 S$. With a long travel day ahead I prefer not to start it out running sweating like a fountain through Singapore to safe a few S$

Would we stay there again? If in another, smaller City, probably yes. In Singapore we would try another Hotel in another location. This is NOT because we did not like Amrise, it is simply that we like to explore places and might want to stay in a different area with different culture to broaden our experience and horizon.

I have many times problems with the rating here. 3 points is "average", 4 points "very good" somehow I feel a step is missing here in between, so I say 3.5 tendency to 4, but I can't say "very good"

Room Tip: No 319 had good internet, water pressure and 2 small windows.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Zurich
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I had to go to Singapore for 2 nights and 3 days alone, so was looking for cheap accommodation. I finally settled for the Amrise Hotel despite some of the bad reviews. Booked through agoda.com, a single standard room at $55 (sing dollars) a night.

From the airport, I took the MRT and got off at Aljunied station (the tourist information office advised me to get off there). It was a little hike, as the hotel is in between both Aljunied and Kallang stations. I actually walked by the hotel 3 times before noticing it (there was a lot going on on the sidewalks...). The walk wasn't too bad as it was in the early evening and the heat had died down a little.
When i got there, the receptionist was helpful. As a bonus, he told me that all the standard rooms were taken, so I'd be upgraded to a deluxe room with a queen bed on the 2nd floor.

Negative:
relatively small, no safe, damp showing through the wall where the shower was, rust at the tap of the sink, wall near the toilet was grotty, dodgy aircon (wasn't leaking though!). No lift (for people with heavy luggage, walking difficulties, etc, but it was ok for me).

Positive:
2 windows (i had read that the standard rooms didn't have any...), it was overlooking the main road, but the noise didn't bother me, coffee and kettle provided, comfortable bed, on the MRT route for Changi airport. The 2 people i dealt with at the reception (both were chinese men) were very friendly and helpful (didn't get their names tho, sorry).

It's just off the Geylang lorongs, so I didn't notice any "red-light" activities on the street side where the hotel was. It was another story on the other sidewalk... Except for when I returned to the hotel to check out, there was, ah, how do i put this politely, a chubby "older woman" on the top of the stairs who gave way on what i thought was politeness. However, when i go abreast of her (pun intended), she repeated "Yao bu yao?" a couple of times. It took me a few seconds to realize she was asking me "want or not?". No prizes for guessing what the "want" was... I just replied "Bu yao, xie xie" and continued my way.

The walk from the hotel to the Aljunied station was done at 1pm (i asked to check out 1 hour later, so was charged $10. This is noted in the room ($10 for every additional hour after 12:00), so it was expected) in the hot sun, so I was sweating like a pig by the time i reached there.

Tip: If you want to go Little India, take the bus, it's more direct and faster than the MRT (have to change 2x).
DO NOT go to Little India on Sunday. Believe me, you don't want to, that was the worst mistake I did on this trip.

I did take some photos of the room using the iPad, so will upload them as soon as I can figure out how ...

Room Tip: Get an upgrade to a Deluxe room...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to Amrise Hotel? Share your experiences!