“Perfect Hostel” 5 of 5 stars

River City Inn
33C Hong Kong Street, Singapore 059672, Singapore   |
“Perfect Hostel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

i love this hostel.everything is good.Staff very friendly.room is clean.they have wifi,universal adaptor,shower crea, shampoo in shower room.i met many friends from many country.i can walk from here to china town,raffleplace,boatquay.

• Stayed January 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Imus, Cavite, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

We booked last June 2012 thru travelerspoint. Initially, we were supposed to stay for 8 days, we have paid the deposit which is 10% of the total amount. Unfortunately our worked required us to change hostel the next day we came in, we decided to stay for 2nights instead. Since we haven't paid the amount, the 10% I paid and an additional fee should suffice my 3days/2night room due. To my surprise, they will not be crediting the whole amount. Instead. They will just credit the 2 nights out of the 8days, which means the 80% of my payment will be forfeited. I know there are certain rule you follow but I find this inconsiderate. Because I have not cancelled my reservation, I used it in fact it's 3days and 2nights and yet the whole amt was not credited, so disapointing.

And also, the hostel is located on the 4th flr without any elevators. Terrible, because its exhausting to be carrying a 20kgs luggage after a tiring trip, and no one from the hostel offered help to take it up for me for inconvenience caused/ extra mile service considering I arrived in SG at 1am.

Having the common area air conditioned at night is a plus point, as well as curtains on the bunk beds. But snoring is a major problem on hostels specially if you're sharing with quite a crowd (24 people). I also find the hostel prone to people sleeping and going home late at night or during dawn after a booze in Clarkey, so people walking in the room. screeching the door and feet tapping is a good way to ruin a persons sleep. so if you are in SG not as a party animal and would prefer a quite hostel instead, try other hostels not within Clarkey area, because throwing up inside rooms and late night sleeping people are norms on these kinds. But if you love that idea, then by all means, stay in this hostel, this is for you!

Room Tip: Better if you have a guy with you on your trip. They can certainly help carry your luggage :)
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
rivercityinn, Manager at River City Inn, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Thank you for your feedback.

Please note that any changes in booking will result in all deposit paid being forfeited. In this case, out of kind intentions, we took into consideration the deposit paid for 2 nights stay. Please note that all deposit do not come to the hostel but is being paid to the booking engine used to secure the booking.

It is stated in the terms and conditions that we are located on the 4th floor of a heritage building without a lift. Please read all terms and conditions carefully before securing any booking.

We are doing our best to ensure that you have a great stay with us in Singapore but guests need to understand that we are unable to control the type of sleepers and crowd in the hostel.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

River City Inn offers the basics expected from a hostel: clean, helpful staff, breakfast fine for a morning snack. However, the big dormitory is just awful. No curtains to block out the neon sign across the street mean that the room is always lit. Beds are also uncomfortable and noisy.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
rivercityinn, Manager at River City Inn, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. Curtains as well as lockers are strategically located to block out some street light. We are unable to cover all the windows with curtains because it will make the room very dim and dull in the day. In addition, most guests who stay in the dorm with windows like the idea of having natural light entering the dorm in the morning. We hope you understand our constrains as we do our best to strike a balance to satisfy your needs.
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I've stayed here from 11-13 Jan 2012 in 9 Bed Female dorm, The place is extremely clean and the staffs are very helpful. It's located at the forth floor as the website stated and it's tiresome if u have big luggage. It's also very convenience to walk to other MRT station (raffles place) and many bus stops nearby..

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in January for 1 night in a 26 bed dorm. The place was very clean and orderly. The staff were friendly and helpful. Also the breakfast is out until midday and consist of toast and a couple of different spreads. Free tea and coffee all day. The bathrooms were nice and clean and private. Only problem is everyone in the common area can watch you brush your teeth. I also like the fact that the top bunks have a locker next to them so you can use it as a bit of a bedside table. Location was great - I only had a couple of hours in the city so walked around Clark Quay and did a small boat tour. The other guests were seriously lacking personality - bit of a library atmosphere. Overall a great hostel!

• Stayed January 2013
Essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I stayed at this hostel a while ago and have been meaning to write a review for ages. I liked the look of this place from the website and was just as impressed when I arrived. It's very clean, modern and with funky decor. The beds are comfy and the bathrooms nice and clean. But most of all the staff are absolutely lovely. When I left for an early morning flight, I accidentally left my glasses behind. I emailed the hostel and they posted my glasses to me in a case - without charging anything! I was so relieved and touched by their kindness. Next time I'm in Singapore I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Jakarta, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Absolutely great place yo say,
Clean, neat, nice...
Really love the separate toilet and shower bathroom,
The water heater always work..

Never felt heat or to overcrowded eventhough it's peak season and it's almost full with tenant

Friendly staff, very good internet and wifi

Keep up the good work guys!

Room Tip: The 26 bed room is the best choice for me as it has windows facing to outside view where you can get...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to River City Inn? Share your experiences!