“Pricey But Nice!!!” 4 of 5 stars

Holiday Cheer
Ranked #11 of 294 Hotels in Singapore
“Pricey But Nice!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

If you are feeling indulgent, this is a hotel to try. Relatively new, it is expensive in my opinion but worth it for me.

There was a hiccup in the price of the room type I booked but that was smoothened out by the hotel staff eventually which did not spoil my experience. If you drive and wish to park at this hotel, please note it is not situated at the hotel itself but about ten minutes' walk away. The underground carpark is share with The Fullerton and shops at One Fullerton. The carpark price is preposterous in town so don't forget to ask for complimentary ticket from the hotel when you check out.

If you are coming with someone who cannot walk very far, there is a drop off right in front of the hotel. Likewise if you are travelling solo but with tons of luggage and you are the driver yourself, like me, I dropped my luggage off at the entrance with the bellhop/concierge, they take care of your luggage while you drive off to the carpark.

I would not recommend this place for families only because the room on average is small. It is decked out in a very masculine art decor wooden look and every space of the room is efficiently used. So I would not know where you can put your humongous pram (I saw one family put it outside their room) nor your wheelchair unless it folds two times. Corridor to the rooms relatively narrow, ie, hard for two larger than average persons to walk side by side.

I especially like the room also because it comes with a balcony albeit narrow. The bathroom is a see-through to the bed type so you can lie in the bathtub and view the television through the glass wall of the bathroom. Shampoos and conditioners and lotion are of the Bulgari brand...Bed is nice and comfortable with pillows that are soft. If you wish a harder type you may request.

Depending on which side of the hotel your room is, I got the one facing the pier with still a view of Marina Bay on the far right. I heard the room facing the Marina Bay is even cooler, so check it out if you can. Not a room where your kids can run around, they probably knock themselves into some furniture piece. Not a family hotel, period. More of a business type hotel that exudes serious business stiffness. Wish it has a slightly more feminine touch. Try the high tea on the ground floor if you have the chance. If you are famished, it can taste really nice. There are better ones in other hotels but at least it is good touch for the hotel to offer a classy high tea, by the waters.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Baar, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

My partner and I spent 6 wonderful days at the the Fullerton Bay Hotel. The hotel is located on Marina Bay just across the bay from the Marina Bay Sands Hotel and shopping center. You can walk along the bay and be at the mall in 15-20 minutes.

We stayed in a king room on the 3rd floor with a fantastic view of the bay. I believe each room has a balcony which provides a great place from which to enjoy the laser show at the Sands or just to enjoy the beautiful skyline. The rooms are appointed with both European and American electrical outlets as well as with USB ports and HDMI ports (although I had to call the front desk for an HDMI cable). When your device is plugged into one of the ports, you can watch/listen to the contents on the TV, which was very convenient.

There is a glass wall that seperates the bedroom from the bathroom which allows one to enjoy the view of the city even from the bathroom. Don't worry, there is a curtain that can be electronically lowered for privacy if needed. The rainfall shower was great too.

The pool is located on the rooftop which provides a stunning view of the city from a pretty peaceful spot. Also located on the rooftop is the Lantern Bar which serves delicious drinks and bar food. Make sure you try the Wagyu mini burgers...they were delicious.

For me, the best part about my stay was the warm, friendly and professional staff. Especially the concierge staff. They were fantastic and we used their services daily.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room away from the entrance to the floor if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

I had a business trip to Singapore for five nights in December, 2013 and was fortunate enough to stay at the Fullerton Bay hotel. My wife was even more fortunate as she was able to join me! The hotel is beautiful, the rooms are amazing and the location is incredible. Each room has its own small balcony all of which have a nice view of either the bay or the city skyline. In some ways, I actually preferred the view of the city sky line although the bay view rooms get a view of the casino and its nightly light/water show as well. The rooftop restaurant and bar are also lively and have an incredible view although I'm not sure I would want to bring my family there (it's more of a club scene).

The hotel is located very close to the financial district and is also centrally located to all the other awesome activities in and around Singapore (Sentosa, Orchard Road, Botanical Gardens etc...). There are also countless great restaurants within walking distance or a short taxi ride away.

I found the service to be mostly pleasant although there were, like some other reviewers have posted, some hiccups particularly surrounding a promise to extend my stay for an additional night and then being told I would have to switch rooms and pay an extra fee because no rooms in my class were available (despite being told otherwise). This, like the previous reviews, was ultimately rectified by a gracious manager when I complained, it was a bit annoying to have go through some hoops to get what was originally promised to me.

I have also stayed in the Fullerton Hotel (a short walk away) and found the rooms at the Fullerton Bay to be much more modern and luxurious.

It's certainly expensive but we loved every minute of our stay (particularly since work picked up the cost!)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Seoul
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

Several months ago I booked the Fullerton Bay partly because of the glowing reviews on TA and also because I've admired the exterior of the Fullerton Hotel (the sister property). I usually stay at the Four Seasons, but I wanted to give this property a try. I was traveling over Lunar New Year in a party of five adults and three children. We booked three rooms facing the bay for four nights. At about SGD 500 a night, the total booking came close to SGD 8000-10000 with taxes etc.

If you are going to spend this much at a top tier hotel in Singapore, I would recommend avoiding this hotel.

The first mishap occurred at the time of check-in. Before my departure, I was told by email that my booking for rooms with two beds (twins) was confirmed. At check-in, I was told only one of the rooms met this specification, the others were ones with one king size bed each. I thought I had made a mistake and took the rooms given to me. Because we needed at least one extra bed, I asked for one to be sent up from Housekeeping. They indicated to me this would cost an additional SGD 130. Later on, I checked my email records and confirmed that I had asked for three double-bed rooms. I sent a long email to the management together with the email records. Because it was a holiday season, it appeared they had no other rooms and they agreed to send up an additional bed at no extra charge. Good enough, problem remedied, I was happy to move on. The management had replied and indicated that this was an "isolated" incident.

The next day, I was doing some shopping and joined my family later at the roof-top pool. We were meeting friends who lived in the city and for lunch my family had put in an order for a hamburger and a "wrap." Forty minutes had passed at which point I arrived and when I inquired about the status of the order, I was told that the staff were "still checking" on what was going on. I asked to speak to the manager who disappeared into the kitchen. I then spoke to another senior person who simply said sorry. I went through three human turnstiles and still ended up with no food and no explanation for the delay. I understand later on a burger was developed as well as a dish of "lamb" curry which they had somehow misunderstood for "wrap".

The delay as well as the inability of the staff to properly explain what was going on prompted another email from me to the hotel, at which point a senior person called and offered his apologies together with an explanation -- the initial waiter who took the order simply had overlooked putting the order into the system.

I want to be clear that the staff and management, in their roundabout way, did end up addressing my grievances. And I did waver about whether these incidents deserve mention in this review. I usually prefer not to sit around writing complaints during my vacations and this is the first time that I have experience this level of frustration with a top-tier hotel. The way I see it, it is not a matter of a ten dollar hamburger order or a one hundred dollar extra bed. It is the fact that I signed up for a ten thousand dollar vacation which became spoiled by these incidents.

Singapore seems like an incredibly competitive hotel market. I remember I was looking at the Mandarin, the Fairmont, the Four Seasons and a host of others before deciding on the Fullerton Bay.

There are some positives about this hotel, mostly factors that are not related to the staff. The location, the design, the fact that they have this reverence for old structures -- the Fullerton Bay is cleverly designed astride an old pier, and in the atrium-like space in the middle, you can see the old pier inside the "heart" of the hotel. The breakfast was quite good as well as the staff at the Clifford Restaurant, who I found quite professional - in contrast to the persons at the Front Desk and especially at the Rooftop Pool.

In any case, the lesson here seems to be, you will only get the service you ask for once you shout at the top of your lungs and write verbose emails to the management. And who wants to do that during their vacation time?

Room Tip: The bay view rooms face out to look across the water to the Marina Bay Sands hotel. The down side i...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

In the the heart of the most amazing architectural sensory overload the Fullerton is the sartorial gentleman of a hotel. If you arrive in the evening as we did it confirms it's presence with an almost imperial elegance. We only stayed for two nights but through our stay the service was impeccable the room was of a comfortable size and immaculately clean and the breakfast!!!! I have stayed in a few good hotels but never have I been offered such a wealth of culturally diverse culinary treats as I was here, quite simply lovely and sufficient to set most people up for most of the day. What else? Ok we arrived on a Saturday evening and there was a live band in the bar downstairs being enjoyed by a great mix of people all obviously out to have a great time in a most relaxed and friendly atmosphere. The location is great for exploring the docks although it is a bit of a walk to Orchard St (that in our opinion was not really worth going to) and China town (that was!). Raffles bar - well you have to at least once while you are there! Took about 15 minutes to walk to. Would certainly go back again!

Room Tip: We were on the 7th floor and had a lovely room all be it facing into the central atrium of the hotel...
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

With its fancy malls, behemoth hotels, glitzy casino, and towering office buildings, Marina Bay is an ostentatious playground for the capitalist class in a city where cash is king. The Fullerton Bay Hotel, hugging the water a stone's throw from Singapore's storied Merlion, is a comparatively understated oasis of calm and sophistication for visitors and well-heeled locals. Thanks to booking through Indagare, we were provided a confirmed upgrade to a bay view room with an outdoor jacuzzi facing Moshe Safdie's iconic Marina Bay Sands, towering just across the water. The scene was so perfect, we were willing to risk a verboten skinny dip despite that omnipresent threat of corporeal punishment you have to worry about when visiting the Lion City. The room itself was comfortable and sleek, but we didn't have time or patience over the course of our 18-hour stay to figure out all the gizmos that made it work.

Hotel breakfasts can be one of life's pleasures, but the Fullerton Bay's spread is a missed opportunity. After flatly being told the room was full, we ended up waiting around for what turned out to be a relatively small, picked over buffet and harried service. We wish we had the foresight to skip the complimentary breakfast and head to the mall across the street and eat dumplings and soup noodles at Din Tai Fung. (Our mediocre hotel breakfast didn't stop us from doing just that an hour later.) While the public spaces are attractive and the are rooms nice enough, the Fullerton Bay Hotel seems more like a destination for the local social and nightlife scene than a world-class city hotel, despite its drop-dead city views and killer location.

Room Tip: Pop for a bay view room.
Somerset, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

We booked this hotel for the last night of our holiday touring in PNG and Indonesia. We arrived tired and harrassed to be registered by a very friendly receptionist (Craig). He showed us to our room and just before we got there, said he had a surprise for us - he had upgraded us to a sixth floor suite. Fantastic. Wonderful views over the Marina, including from the glass walled bathroom (which does have privacy screens if you want). Two balconies with great views and sofas. Very comfortable bed. Excellent breakfast. Had great evening meal at the rooftop bar/restaurant.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Fullerton Bay Hotel Singapore? Share your experiences!