“Great hotel overall” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #42 of 300 Hotels in Singapore
London, United Kingdom
“Great hotel overall”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

Had a very enjoyable stay here and think it fills a strong niche in the Singapore hotel ecosystem.

I stayed here for 5 days in late october after reading the ausbt.com.au review and finding it the most convenient luxury hotel for the Singapore Art Biennale which I was attending multiple days of. Highly recommend if the biennale is part of/is your reason for visiting Singapore.

Much has been said about it's location and I have to say it's very convenient (even walkable in Singapore's sweaty heat) to the galleries and many cultural/historical/art institutions and private galleries nearby. Highly recommend for this purpose but like much of Singapore is easy to get to other must see areas of Singapore too. I shopped on orchard road many nights and again very walkable.

I also enjoyed it's park setting and how it wasn't as corporate and concrete jungle as most other Singapore offerings. Seems to be locals favourite for this reason too.

Room itself was large with great ceiling heights and a nice fit out throughout. It was very clean with comfortable chairs and bed. Found it to be quiet and peaceful during my stay even with multiple functions in hotel and the balcony was a nice touch. Particularly enjoyed the technology implication and functionality. To nit pick the cable selection wasn't that strong and I found the bath (in my room) a bit awkward to use and in its placement.

I ordered simple room service food after hours a couple times and was a solid effort though nothing amazing but was also well priced so definitely recommend if you're wanting it. I used the pool(s) a couple of times and again found it nice, well maintained and enjoyable though nothing amazing. I also thought the open pour drinks in the lobby for guests a nice feature though I didn't indulge as much as I could have. Great choice of prosecco and nice juices were what I sampled.

I generally found the service very good though to be direct, my initial check in was a little curt and unfriendly. However the subsequent service from others was very friendly and attentive. I find this a lot around Singapore with service being sporadic in it's friendliness, rudeness, unhelpful etc. and put it down to something cultural or the high pressure living conditions that can bubble up in Singapore or whatever else people can think of. It effected my initial enjoyment/choice of the hotel but later that day and throughout stay was remedied with excellent fairly efficient service so does not put me off returning.

Definitely Recommend!

Room Tip: I stayed on the second floor with a balcony but without the bathroom with windows and while I enjoye...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Hfc_GM, Manager at Hotel Fort Canning, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Dear ManyKnights,

Thank you for staying with us and for your very comprehensive review! We are so pleased that most of it was very positive. However, we are more concerned with what you found not so positive.

We are currently looking into strengthening our wifi connection. We usually do not have problems with it unless we are running fullhouse, and it happended that while you were staying with us during the Singapore Art Biennale, the hotel was full. We are so sorry for the inconvenience caused.

The room you were in indeed has the bathtub in the middle of the room as part of its "quirky" design. We do have rooms with the more traditional bathroom configuration, so you might wish to try one of those the next time you stay.

We also sincerely apologise that your check in experience was less than perfect. The Front Office staff who was attending to you was not feeling well that day, and may not have performed optimally.

We are still gratified that you found much to like at Hotel Fort Canning and are reassured by your last three comments - "Great experience and suited my preference for low fuss and informal luxury from the hotels I stay in. For room size and luxury I definitely think it's one of the best for it's price in Singapore. Definitely Recommend!"

We look forward to seeing you again at the hotel soon!

Amy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Stayed at the Hotel Fort Canning for 1 week. Checkin very straight forward, staff very polite and helpful. Taken to room on 3rd floor by receptionist for an explanation of how things work. Clean room had everything I required and a firm but very comfortable bed. I have lower back problems but not on this bed. No pain in the morning - never slept better! Bathroom with a view was a nice touch. 2 swimming pools (one for laps, the other for relax) and a superb gym. Hotel located in a lush tropical park, nice to stroll around each morning before it became too humid. Closest MRT Dhoby Ghaut is a five minute walk away and has access to 3 train lines and great food and shopping at Plaza Singapura.
Can get busy on weekends with wedding party and guests.
Would stay here again without hesitation!

Room Tip: I found the easiest way to enter the lobby (if walking to avoid all those steps via the park) was vi...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Dear toorust,

It was a pleasure reading your lovely review! Thank you for it and for staying with us!

We are so glad that you had a good one week at Hotel Fort Canning, and found the staff to be very polite and helpful, the rooms clean, and most importantly, the bed very comfortable for your lower back problems.

We love it that you "would stay here again without hesitation", and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

I stayed in this hotel from 29 Oct-2 Nov. The front desk at checking didn't have the correct check out dates, even though I had a copy of the confirmation. Then, I was put in a room that had an adjoining room. The noise next door was terrible and very loud. Then, I had to check out late and they assured me that I would be charged a full extra day. When I returned to my room after the last work day, it hadn't even been cleaned! I was not amused. When I called the front desk, they told me I didn't tell them I wanted the room cleaned! Wow, I was not aware that I had to ask for something I paid for! I would advise not to stay here, the location is fairly remote for singapore.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Hfc_GM, Manager at Hotel Fort Canning, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
Dear Feelya,

We are terribly sorry that you had such an unpleasant stay at our hotel. We sincerely apologise for the service lapses due to miscommunication between departments, which we can reassure you is not the norm. The staff involved have been counselled and retrained.

We are glad, however, that you were graciously willing to accept our compensation for the less-than-stellar service of a night's accommodation. We hope that you will be kind enough to put this episode past you and give us another chance. We look forward to serving you again soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Fort Canning Hotel mid 2012.

Can't praise enough.

Great location - excellent modern inclusions - stylish and clean.

Great breakfasts and well appointed restaurant.

No noise - with beautiful gardens and great views.

Stayed for 4 nights on our way from Sydney to London to break the trip.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mike M,

Thank you for staying with us and for your very nice review!

We are very happy that you found the hotel to be stylish and clean, and the location quiet with beautiful gardens and great views. We are also glad you appreciated our breakfasts and well appointed restaurant.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Fort Canning soon!

Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Great rooms / Excellent breakfast / Very helpful reception team / Nice complimentary drinks with the other guests every afternoon / Quiet environment ...
It was an enjoyable stay.

Only one thing should be improved : sound isolation. If you decide to sleep late, you unfortunately hear everything happening in the corridor...

Room Tip: 220 is a great suite, 219 is smaller but nice
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Hfc_GM, Manager at Hotel Fort Canning, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Dear harryh0udini,

Thank you for staying at Hotel Fort Canning and for your excellent review!

We particularly like your header - “Exactly what you expect from a great hotel!” - it means a lot to us and we have shared your lovely comments with all our team.

Thank you also for your feedback on the sound isolation. You might be pleased to know that we are taking immediate action to improve this, and we hope that you will have more peaceful nights (and mornings) the next time you stay with us.

Stuttgart, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed there for a one night staycation right after our wedding in the afternoon! They upgraded our room after they learnt about our nuptials and the room was lovely! Can't remember the name of the room but it was one the few rooms with a small balcony, facing the city.
Location is lovely but would recommend you to take a taxi as it is on a hill. To get to the nearby shopping centers is a breeze as it takes a mere 7-10 mins walk downhill.
Breakfast was lovely as well. Love the pools! There were two and we swam at the one at the bottom.

• Stayed August 2013
Hfc_GM, Manager at Hotel Fort Canning, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear noorrehan,

Congratulations once again on your recent nuptials and we are so happy our gesture of upgrading your room added to your memorable day!

The room you were in was a Studio Suite and it is one of only 3 rooms in the hotel with a balcony. We are glad you liked the room and also the city park location of the hotel as it is one of our unique selling points! We are also gratified that you enjoyed breakfast at The Glass House which offers panoramic views of the tree tops, and the mineral water-cleansed swimming pools.

We hope to see you soon on your next visit to Singapore!

Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in this lovely old building. The hotel location was perfect for us and we loved the opportunity to be able to walk through the adjoining park. It is restful and quiet despite being in the centre of busy Singapore. The staff were courteous and friendly and we enjoyed our breakfasts in the Glass a House Restaurant. The hotel facilities were excellent and very happy with our room. The bathroom was modern and the bed was excellent. Thank you for a lovely stay.

Room Tip: If not happy with room for any reason always contact reception!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hfc_GM, Manager at Hotel Fort Canning, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Dear Cheryl C,

It was a pleasure having you stay with us, and thank you for your very nice review!

We are thrilled that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay, and that you found the hotel's city park location perfect, the hotel facilities excellent and that you were very happy with your room. Hotel Fort Canning is indeed "restful and quiet despite being in the centre of busy Singapore"!

We are very gratified that you found our staff to be courteous and friendly and that you enjoyed your breakfasts in The Glass House Restaurant.

We are particularly happy with your Room Tip - "If not happy with room for any reason always contact reception!" - as that is indeed the best way for us to help guests resolve any problems, many of which have instant solutions.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Fort Canning soon!