“Not so ideal.” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #126 of 184 Specialty Lodging in Singapore
Manila, Philippines
“Not so ideal.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

My friends and I booked a private room good for 6 persons. Upon arrival, we were asked to pay for the full amount for 5 days of stay.

The room was composed of 2 bunk beds, the one with three levels where a person can not even kneel or else he will hit the ceiling with his head. There is TV that we did not use, aircon that leaks and does not function well, a door that has a broken knob and the management 'fixed' it by putting a pad lock from the outside with only one key. Yes, one key for all six of us.

Beds were at least soft but me and my other friend kept on getting allergic rhinitis every night, dusts perhaps. The pillows/pillowcase smells awful too. I had to cover the pillow with one of my shirts so as not to smell it.

The communal toilet/shower is terrible also. When I arrived, one (of two) of the toilets had tissues laid on its seat, indication that someone used it and pooped in it also. I just flushed it but did not dare touch the tissues on the seat, and 3 days after, the said tissues are still there. It was very hard to shower also because there is no kind of any hook or soapdish to put the toiletries on to, not even a hook for the towel/used clothes.

The good thing is, the wifi is pretty reliable. There are at least 3 routers, all which are fast.
A 3 min walk away from Kallang Station.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

After reading others experiences here, I guess I had a better experience. The most important thing for me is a cheap place with a comfy bed and I got exactly that here. Far from perfect, but comfy enough, nice people and very convenient for the price (Singapore is generally an expensive city!!!). If you want luxury, stay in a hotel. If you want value for money, go here.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Seoul, South Korea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

My Korean friend in Singapore introduce me this hostel. I stayed there for about one week, and enjoy our holidays in Singapore. We find this hostel reasonable reasonable good for privacy and simple and ok.

Room Tip: 2nd floor has more shower rooms for guests.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

We picked this as it was one of the cheapest we found. Rooms were basic but adequate as we did not plan to spend too much time in our room. The station was a quick 3 minute walk away and 10 minutes ride into town.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2011

We stayed in Singapore for 6 days and the first hostel we stayed in was so bad we had to move out. Fortunately, we were able to find this hostel at short notice. The price was reasonable but the location was great. Travel into town was under 20 minutes and food was readily available in the vicinity. Staff were generally helpful in helping plan our journeys. The rooms were basic but I suppose that is what you expect with the price. If you are after a cheap room at a convenient location, I would recommend this place.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

The hostel is rather value for money. Not sure if I was lucky but the staff were quite friendly to me. Although the room is small but since everything required was provided I am pretty okay with everything as I am only at the hostel to sleep. Very affordable. hence, bearable n not too bad. :) great location in sense of ease of navigation.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011 via mobile

Staff is very unfriendly in any matters. The rooms are windowless cells. If you book a Twin you'll get an unbelieveable small 4 bed room. Bugs are coming out of the powerconnectors. Toilets and Showers are rundown. We are very used to hostels, but this one is just [--] up. Don't go there, even if you think it's cheap!

• Stayed August 2011

Been to Ideal Backpackers Hostel? Share your experiences!