“Beautifully Designed Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #38 of 294 Hotels in Singapore
Orange, California
“Beautifully Designed Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

Like what other reviewers said - this hotel is from the same designers as Venetian and Palazzo? Not sure but all their amenities are the same from those Vegas Hotels.

Coming from the Changi Airport to this hotel was about ..$30.00. This hotel is so packed- it seemed like everyone from the airport came here too - we saw some familiar faces. The check in line was long - but it went by fast. Everyone was friendly and pleasant. We stayed on the 30th floor with a city view. The rooms were nice - reminded me of Luxury Vegas hotels. I mean for the rest of Asia yes, this hotel is definitely nice. 3 Different towers we stayed in the first tower, tell the taxi driver which tower also when traveling back n forth. This city view overlooked the bay and the skyline which was lit up nicely at night.
I think I was really excited for the pool more than anything. But upon arriving at the rooftop, it also was PACKED. Difficult to find a spot - so arrive early if you want a lounge chair. The pool water was pretty chilly. Everyone was in the pool with their ipad, iphones and SLR cameras snapping pictures. It was chaotic and not as relaxing and serene as some of the photos look. Yes we got some cool pictures- but it was a bit over hyped on the rooftop. The hotel itself is very large connected to shops and casino.. but honestly it just reminded me of the venetian and vegas hotels.

My favorite part was actually walking outside and towards the gardens and lit up trees surrounding the hotel (at night) and looking back at the hotel from a far. That was a magnificent sight.

When we stayed there- the TV had issues and wasn't working- but they sent someone up to fix it in a couple of hrs.

I know this hotel is pretty pricey ... it was a great experience but I probably wouldn't go back again. It was more of a touristy-must see-once in your life-kinda place.

Room Tip: City view is nice, but the other side of the hotel w/ the ocean seemed also great...I wouldn't s...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Pek_ChinSiong, Executive Director of Hotel Operations at Marina Bay Sands, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear Heather N,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback here. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay at Marina Bay Sands and I am glad to know that our Team Members’ friendly disposition made an impressive mark on you.

I certainly hope to welcome you and your loved one back to Marina Bay Sands in the near future to experience more of what our one-stop destination has to offer.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,741)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Shanghai, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

Looks spectacular from the outside, but definitely not living up to its expectations.

Check in- took around 40 minutes for us to check in, an extremely long line of people waiting, but only a few receptionists doing the check-ins. Overly crowded lobby, so no place to sit and wait during the check in. Very disappointing start.

Room- spacious, but empty. Almost seems like they forgot to decorate the room. The bathroom was impressive though. The view from the room was definitely breathtaking (we were facing the harbor).

Concierge- few things were missing in our room, and they were responding very quickly and sent us the amenities we needed. They also helped me open my suitcase because I could not find the key for the lock.

Breakfast- horrific, we were thinking of going a bit early for breakfast since the amount of people in the hotel (overly crowded). We had to wait for a while to get a table (it was only 8 am). By the time we were allocated to a table there wasn't much food left in the buffet. Left empty-stomached.

Pool- dreadful, at night the amount of people in the pool was immense. It almost looked like a fish tank. I was so excited about the rooftop infinity pool, but it was very disappointing. You could barely swim in the pool without getting kicked in the rib. The water was murky (I went night swimming, even more crowded than swimming at day) I do not want to know why the water is murky. So my best friend and I decided to go in the jacuzzi facing the garden, we were the first people in the jacuzzi, but then people began to pour in. So we had to leave again. So the next day we thought we would give the pool a try at day. There was a lot less people and the water was finally clear.

Location- not very close to any shopping malls, or main roads (except for the ones right under Marina bay sand, there is also a casino there too) the shops were mainly very high-end, and the prices of things sky-rocketed.

The museum next to the hotel wasn't very bad, but Marina bay sands definitely looks more like an tourist attraction than a five star hotel. A lot of my friends have been here a lot say its amazing but some say its not as good as expected. This hotel is definitely border line five star hotel for me. Not the best experience.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Angela J,
Thank you for your feedback. I regret to learn about the challenges you experienced during your recent stay at Marina Bay Sands. I have sent you a private message and I hope to hear from you soon. Thank you.
Birmingham, AL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

This was truly a memorable hotel experience--probably the nicest hotel I have stayed in. Room was enormous, view of the Singapore skyline I will always remember. The bed I wished I could take home with me! The top of the hotel contains swimming pools and restaurants--I enjoyed breakfast buffet an afternoon high tea at one of them. I would be thrilled to return if given the opportunity.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear ONUalum, I am thrilled to know that you enjoyed your recent stay at Marina Bay Sands and I look forward to welcoming you and your family back soon.
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

I could never tell anyone to not stay at the Marina Bay Sands - it is an experience. But, and it is a big but, I'm not sure that the experience is worth the cost.

First off, be prepared to wait a long time to check-in and to check-out - we waited 20 minutes to check in and gave up waiting after 20 minutes to check-out. It is by a long shot the worst check-in/check-out experience I have had at any hotel anywhere in the world.

It is a big, overwhelming, extravagant place. But the reality is that you could stay elsewhere in Singapore for a lot less money and experience the glitz and glamour on a day visit for a lot less cost.

The shopping centre has to be seen, but unless you have a bucket load of money be prepared to not buy anything here - it is all high-end expensive stuff throughout. And I have to wonder, who buys all these $50,000+ watches? Interestingly, over the few days we were there we did not see a single customer in a single store, but apparently they survive.
The food court next to the skating rink is pretty good and the prices are pretty reasonable and I can recommend it for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

We tried the buffet in the main lobby of the hotel and it was ok, but nothing to write home about. Given the cost of around $250 for two of us, including a very ordinary wine from Chile, I would have expected better. It was also disconcerting to have the staff start packing all the food up at around 9:00pm - this is usually the time a lot of eateries in Singapore start to really get going, but apparently at MBS it's bed time...

If you are a non-smoker forget about going to the casino - smoking is encouraged throughout and for an asthmatic like myself it is unbearable. The smell of cigarette smoke pervades everything and makes for a very unenjoyable experience.

The MBS is located very conveniently to the Gardens by the Bay which are a must-see for everyone, but given the proximity of the MTR station you could stay elsewhere a lot cheaper and spend a little time and money on the subway to get there.
My personal feeling is I would rather stay closer to the Singapore action at somewhere like Clarke Quay - the MBS always feels like you are well away from the Singapore highlights.

If you are into such things the rooftop infinity pool is unlike any other - magnificent views over the city and you feel like you are swimming to the edge of the building 50 storeys up (although there is a safety ledge below).

Overall, as I said at the start, I would never tell anyone not to stay at the Marina Bay Sands. But for us it wasn't worth the cost and next time we are in Singapore we will be staying somewhere closer to the action.

Room Tip: City view rooms are more expensive, but I think the ocean view is better anyway
Dear David C,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback here. I note your comments on the challenges you experienced upon check-in and at Rise Restaurant during your visit and I have shared your feedback with the relevant department heads for their review.

I also regret to learn about your experience at the Casino and I apologise for any inconvenience caused. Our casino has a non-smoking floor on level one and please be assured that we continue to maintain optimal air quality throughout the casino by pumping fresh air into the non-smoking space.

I hope that you will allow us another opportunity to welcome you back to Marina Bay Sands for a more successful experience.
The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

This is a gigantic Hotel. If you adore personalized attention, look somewhere else. Don't get me wrong, everybody was amazingly polite and efficient, but we left feeling aloof. However I'm convinced that it is the only way to run smoothly this huge place.

The architecture is somehow out of this world, and I'm not even commenting on the amazing infinity swimming pool on the top floor. To be honest, I think this is the major selling point. Thankfully only guests are allowed to use it and there is plenty room for everyone. The area also has a warm jacuzzi and a couple of places to sit, drink and have a bite while enjoying the view.

Our room was fantastic, very spacious, nice toiletries and, again, following the open bathroom trend with sliding doors. We were lucky enough to get a balcony facing the botanical gardens, with such an incredible view day and night. Bed was very comfy and the concierge was fantastic for making reservations and arranging services.

The Hotel is linked to the Marina Bay Mall, which makes it ideal for shopping and fancy eating. Many celebrity Chefs have their restaurants there, so you can enjoy a great meal. Just be aware that the prices are considered steep.

I loved staying here although the "factory line" feeling left us wondering to try something smaller for our next visit.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review, Vaquitalekker.

I am pleased to know that you enjoyed your recent stay at Marina Bay Sands. Please be assured that we continuously review our products and services for improvement to ensure that our guests enjoy a warm and comfortable stay with us.

I hope to welcome you and your loved one back to Marina Bay Sands in the near future to experience more of our multi-dimensional offerings.
The Hague
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

This is definitely one of the most spectacular hotels in the world.We had an amazing view from our balcony on the 40th floor over Singapore harbour and the Gardens by the sea. Sunset was perfect. The skypool, what can I say. You to be there once in your lifetime. Looking over the edge of the pool at 200 m height is breathtaking. Our room with balcony gave us a luxurious feeling. The staff was very nice and efficient. Only one small detail, the badge for the elevator had to be renewed 4 times in our case (1 night stay). I spoke at least 8 people with similar experiences. But again, this was something minor... Just go there and have fun.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback, NickE2.

I am glad to know that you enjoyed your recent visit to Marina Bay Sands and that our Team Members ensured that you had a warm and comfortable stay with us. I note your comments on the room key card and I have shared it with the relevant department heads for their review and appropriate action.

I hope to welcome you and your loved one back soon for more memorable experiences.
Mississauga, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

For a hotel that is so large scale, we had no complaints to make of our stay here in January 2013. Great location..metro, shopping (expensive but what in Singapore isn't), restaurants were all within walking distance (long walk). The rooms themselves were well appointed but nothing to write home about - reminded me of the Las Vegas style hotels. What is worth the price you pay is the access you get to the infinity pool - spectacular view and ambiance and our kids absolutely had a ball! I have to give them props for the efficient booking which was done over the phone and the fact that they allowed 5 of us (2 adults and 3 kid) to stay in one room. All in all, this was a very memorable stay for our family.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review, Travel_With_Angels.

I am glad to know that you had a memorable stay at Marina Bay Sands and I certainly hope to welcome you and your family back soon to experience more of our multi-dimensional offerings.

Been to Marina Bay Sands? Share your experiences!