“Below expectations” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Marina Bay Sands

You added Marina Bay Sands to your Saves list
Marina Bay Sands
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10 Bayfront Avenue, Singapore 018956, Singapore (Marina Bay)   |
Hotel packages
Announcement
Michael Jackson Tribute
Ranked #34 of 300 Hotels in Singapore
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Below expectations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Following the hype and given the price, I really expected more. Not that it was bad, but it just didnt have any WOW factor (from the inside at least). MBS has a lot going for it; iconic design; sweeping views; Ku De Ta; the rooftop pool and bar; proximity to the casino. The rooms were functional, and from my 41st floor, very quiet, but still no WOW factor.

Having lived in Singapore for the past few years and watched MBS grow from the ground up I was keen to try it out now I live elsewhere. I came with great expectations and left thinking that if I had to choose I would probably stay elsewhere, especially at the price.

I was particularly disappointed with the breakfast buffet. I had eaten breakfast there before and found it lacking in variety. Nothing changed my mind this time around either. After day one I grabbed a latte and a muffin from the excellent coffee shop near Tower 3 lobby.

However if you want to have a short holiday where price is not an issue, and you want to have easy access to the casino, then this is the perfect place for you. If any of these are not for you, then Singapore is spoilt for choices with 5 and 6 star hotels that do have that WOW factor.

Room Tip: Higher is quieter and Tower 3 gives you direct acces to the Rooftop bar, pool, viewing deck.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Pek_ChinSiong, Executive Director of Hotel Operations at Marina Bay Sands, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Aegisint,

I regret to hear that your stay with us was not a fully successful one.

I note your comments on the breakfast buffet and have shared it with the relevant department heads for their review and attention.

I am glad that you enjoyed your breakfast at our SweetSpot outlet located at the hotel lobby, Tower 3.

I hope that your recent experience will not deter you from visiting Marina Bay Sands to experience more of our one-stop destination.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,980)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

I was determined to stay at this hotel, and the reason was purely for the infinity rooftop pool.

We were lucky enough to check in early even though they do state check in is at 3 I'm pretty sure we were checked in our room by 2pm. We had beautiful view of the city from the 18th floor. Which isn't that high up considering the hight of the hotel.

Those lifts are extremely fast and very smooth. So if your one of those people that don't like lifts and your going a couple of floors, travelling ground to 35 in a matter of seconds and you don't feel a thing!

The room was very clean and tidy, we stayed in a deluxe room with twin double beds. So plenty of room to walk around in it. Nice bathroom. One problem with the bathroom, it had no electrical outlet in there!! Which was super annoying as I would need to use a hair dryer and hair straightener at the office desk.

And the other issue was the curtains, they are the ones that you push a button to open and close. Well when you opened them it would open all the way but rather than stopping its just keeps running with a crazy loud sound like it was going to break!

We used room service for breakfast, we just hung the card on the door handle and everything we ordered was there and arrived spot on time and not a minute late, that was probably the only staff I came in contact with. She was extremely polite and helpful.

Obviously the pool was stunning, you can just sit up there for hours staring out at the city view. Oh and great cocktails!

The marina bay shopping mall is huge! I didn't get anywhere close to walking around it all. All your luxury stores and celebrity chef restaurants can be found there.

I would stay again but only a couple of days and stay else where for the rest of my trip.

If your not planning to use the pool you just want the view I would recommend just purchasing the skypark pass so you can look around up there. There are other more luxury hotel rooms in Singapore for the same if not cheaper price.

Your are basically paying for the view/pool. I would have expected more from the room for the type of hotel. We also requested late check out, as check out was at 12, and were able to checkout at 2pm. But checking out was a very long line.

But will stay there again next time I'm in Singapore, just so I can use that pool!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Sherryne P,

I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your early check-in as well as the views from your room.

I note your comment with regards to your room amenities and have shared it with the relevant department heads for their review and attention.

Thank you for your kind comments on our Team Member from the Room Service Department. Service is a top priority for us and it is our goal to ensure that our guests have a warm and comfortable stay with us.

I most certainly look forward to welcome you and your family back to Marina Bay Sands soon.
Usa, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Great to enjoy this trip and case the front dest to free upgrade my room to having better view, and psc can offer all what i want, and the fastest check out in my deep impressions. This trip for my first time to Singapore and i will choose this hotel again if i return singapore.

Room Tip: Premier room is having a good view
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for kind comments, Jia Yao l.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your room upgrade as well as a smooth check-in process during your recent trip to Singapore.

I look forward to welcome you back in the near future for more successful, memorable visits.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

If you don't like this place you are a whole lot richer than us :-) Somehow we scored an upgrade to a "Marina" Room - 4 times the price of what we paid. Honestly - this is living. Everything about MBS is fantastic - the staff are friendly and helpful, they remember you, and they seem genuinely happy. You can check the rooms out on the website - they are described accurately. The roof-top Infinity Pool is a must. I'm scratching to find something that could be improved - checkout was a bit busy, and the complimentary Freshening-up room was quite full, but hey - we cant complain. The Sands loyalty card is widely accepted in the complex. Its close to 2 glass domes that house plants - worth seeing, as are the surrounds. We didn't go into the main part of town, but I expect there is an easy way of doing it. And there's an airport shuttle-coach. We will go back. We really like this place.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your fantastic review, JessNSW.

I am glad that you enjoyed your room upgrade and that our Team Members’ service standards consistently matched your expectations. Your compliments will most certainly be an added boost to our Team’s efforts to create once-in-a-lifetime experiences for our guests.

Kindly note that the Airport Shuttle transfer is a complimentary service that the hotel launched as a goodwill gesture in 2010, at a time when the public transport network around Marina Bay Sands was still developing. Now that the area has completed its construction and is well served by taxis and the public transport system, especially the Bayfront MRT station, we have decided that it is time to cease the complimentary service. We encourage our guests to take advantage of Singapore’s efficient public transport system.

I look forward to welcome you and your partner back to Marina Bay Sands to experience more of our one-stop destination.
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

I stayed at the Marina Bay Sands (MBS) Hotel twice in 2 weeks when attending different conferences and both visits left me less than enamoured. My first booking was direct with the hotel, and the confirmation I received told me to enjoy the free shuttle bus from the airport. When I arrived at the airport, I found a deserted/abandoned MBS desk and after about 20 minutes following spurious directions from various helpful but uninformed people, I found out that the shuttle bus had been stopped a few weeks before. So I got a taxi. What a waste of time!

When I got to the hotel, I had to open my own taxi door and had my luggage half out of the boot before I got any assistance. I know I sound spoilt, but isn’t that the point of a 5* Hotel?? Next disappointment was the queues 4 deep at the huge reception desk – dozens of people waiting to check in. I was actually pointed to the other check-in desk at the other end of the hotel (it’s huge!) and there was no one to help with the luggage. The lobby also smelled very strongly of cleaning fluid at different times on both visits – strong enough to catch the back of your throat – which was very unpleasant. And the lobby is often so busy that it’s like fighting your way through a crowded shopping mall on a Saturday afternoon.

One good point is that when I did complain at check-in that there was no shuttle bus from the airport (but it was mentioned in my booking confirmation), I was immediately refunded my taxi-fare. So keep your receipt! 

My rooms were on the 8th and then 11th floors on respective visits. The rooms are modern, spacious and well-appointed and the free wifi is good, but both looked on to the main highway, and both suffered from incessant traffic noise – all day and all night. The 8th floor room in Tower 2 (857 for reference) also allowed me to enjoy the singer in the lobby bar – whether I wanted to or not. Avoid low floors, especially in Tower 2.

The pool on the roof is probably the main reason (apart from the casino or conference centre) anyone would stay at the MBS, and it is spectacular. And busy right up to late at night.

On the plus side, when my doorbell wasn’t working – it rang itself at random when no one was outside – the engineering staff fixed it very quickly. And all the staff individually are friendly and helpful. I think that there’s just not enough of them to provide 5* service in such a massive complex. When I called to get my bag collected from my room on check-out, I waited 10 minutes for someone to come before giving up and taking my own bag down. The scale of the building means that the staff you want may be a long, long way away, and that just doesn’t make you feel like you’re getting the level of service you’re paying for.

And that brings me to the main issue – the price. The special conference rate I got ended up being S$420 (£220) per night for room only! That’s a whole lot of money for a hotel where you take your own luggage up to your room. There are lots of hotels in Singapore that are much cheaper and provide much better service – maybe not the bling, but proper 5-star feel-good service… Given the choice, my money would be spent in the Mandarin Oriental, Conrad, Marina Mandarin, Shangri La or the Ritz Carlton…

Room Tip: Avoid low floors due to the traffic noise.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Keith R,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us.

I regret to learn about some of the challenges you encountered during your recent visits which may have marred your otherwise pleasant experience.

With regards to your comment, the Airport Shuttle transfer is a complimentary service that the hotel launched as a goodwill gesture in 2010, at a time when the public transport network around Marina Bay Sands was still developing. Now that the area has completed its construction and is well served by taxis and the public transport system, especially the Bayfront MRT station, we have decided that it is time to cease the complimentary service. We encourage our guests to take advantage of Singapore’s efficient public transport system.

Service has always been a priority for us and we continue to be receptive to guest feedback, identify gaps and refine our services and processes accordingly to ensure that our guests have a warm and comfortable stay with us.

I value your patronage and thank you for your kind comments on our Team Members who assisted to fix your doorbell promptly.

I look forward to welcome you back to Marina Bay Sands for more successful stays.
Tasmania, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

After a great vacation in Koh Samui we finished up with a few days in Singapore and decided to splurge on our last night and stay at Marina Bay Sands. We arrived early about 11:00am and upon checking in we were told that our room was not yet available as check in was 3:00pm, which we already knew, however we wanted as much time here as possible. Our bags were held for us and we were given access to a room on the second floor of tower one to freshen up and have a coffee, we also had access to The Club Restaurant, and infinity pool on the 57th floor.

We did a lap or two of the amazing shopping mall and headed to the Mummy and Lego exhibitions at the Art Science Museum, both were well worth a look.

Upon arriving back at reception we were informed that our room choice was not ready and that we were being upgraded to a suite, far be it for us to complain. We arrived at or room on the 53rd floor and opened the door and were absolutely floored, after passing through the entry foyer we had a dinning area, large lounge area with huge tv as well a computer desk complete with wireless printer and a view to die for. The bedroom area is massive with king size bed, large screen tv, sitting area with a great view as well. there is also a separate walk through dressing room and wardrobe leading to a giant bathroom with double vanity, freestanding bath and huge shower enclosure and separate toilet.

Once we got over the shock of the size of our suite we changed and headed up to the infinity pool on the 57th floor for a quick swim and to take in the view over the city, while we watched the sun go down, absolutely amazing. We returned to the Club shortly after our swim for complimentary Champagne and hors douves over looking Gardens By The Bay, what a spectacular sight.

After an evening of Champagne and hors douves we weren't really up for dinner so we decided to indulge in the Chocolate Feast at The Club, not cheap but worth it, so much chocolate so little time, we started out on the deck overlooking the gardens but even at 9:30 at night the heat forced us to retreat inside to the comfort of the air conditioning.

We had a very restful nights sleep as the bed is super comfortable after what we had in Thailand. Breakfast was served at the Club on the 57th floor and once again we opted for indoors. The staff are amazing and very attentive to your every need. We had a wander around the Skypark and took more photos before heading back to our suite to pack.

We checked out at 11:00am and left our luggage for collection later we were also given complimentary access to the pool area and room on the second floor until we departed for the airport. We took another lap of the shopping centre and made a few last minute purchases before heading over to Gardens By The Bay, needed more time here than we had allowed, it is awesome.

Back to the room for a shower and change and of to the airport, timed our departure well, as we were picking up our luggage the heavens opened up for a tropical downpour.

We can not rate the staff and amenities at Marina Bay Sands highly enough from the Reservation Desk, concierge, porters and cleaners, all were very friendly and helpful. Any one wishing to stay here as a treat we would recommend at least two nights as it is a destination in itself with so much to see and do, but be aware the pool area is very busy all the time.

Room Tip: We chose a Grand Club Room with City views which look awesome, but were upgraded to a Suite on the 5...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear DB08,
Thank you for your review. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your room upgrade to one of our Suites as well as the room amenities.

Thank you for your kind compliments on our Team Members’ service standards. It is always a pleasure to hear that our Team Members succeeded in providing a memorable experience for our valued guests.

I am glad that you had the opportunity to visit The Shoppes as well as Mummy: Secrets of the Tomb and The Art of the Brick at ArtScience Museum.

I am glad that you and your loved ones enjoyed your time at the Sands SkyPark as well as the privileges at The Club.

I look forward to welcome you and your loved ones back to experience more of our one-stop destination of entertainment, shopping and restaurants.
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Stayed there twice, rooms are big with amazing view; equipped with nice amenities (love how they placed TWG tea bags in room for guests). Skypark is nice at night and complimentary for guests to there. Pool is phenomenal! There is basically everything in MBS, there is no need to go anyway (for locals of course. :))

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review, Joy85.

I am happy to hear that you chose to stay at Marina Bay Sands and that you found your room amenities to your liking.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Been to Marina Bay Sands? Share your experiences!