“Simply Astounding” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #38 of 294 Hotels in Singapore
London
“Simply Astounding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

When one considers that Marina Bay Sands is one of the most reviewed hotels here on TripAdvisor, not a lot else can be said that hasn't already been said. This, however, does not stop me from writing a review of my 3 night stay as a solo traveller from October.

First things first, Marina Bay Sands was simply one of the main reasons I wanted to visit Singapore. Everything from the architecture, the style, to the sheer scale of the property made it easy for me to choose which hotel I would be staying at when I landed from my 13hr flight from London.

Having booked a deluxe room at shirt notice on the official website for around £320 per night, I utilised the option of taking the Marina Bay Sands complimentary shuttle service to the hotel from Changi Airport's Terminal 3. There are no timetables per se, merely a rough guideline as one departure every 30 minutes. When you arrive at the coach area, there is no way of knowing how long you must wait until the next departure, although on my arrival I waited literally a few minutes before the driver allowed us on the coach. The coach was only half full, and while the driver did look slightly uninterested and did not greet any of the guests upon entering, he drove in a safe and efficient manner. It takes less than half an hour to get from Changi to Marina Bay Sands.

Wha you must remember with Marina Bay Sands is that they are very strict with their check-in times. Having landed in Singapore at 07.15, and then cleared immigration, and shuttled to the hotel, I checked in at around 09.00. I was told my room would not be ready until 15.00, which left me a disappointing 6 hours to waste before I could fully relax. That said, the friendly receptionist who checked me in informed me that I could leave my luggage with the bellboys and go off and explore the resort, or do whatever I wanted to do. I made sure I had my camera, passport, and wallet, but everything else was left in my luggage (including laptop), and safely and extremely professionally dealt with by the bellboys who took it out back with a ID tag around the bagstraps.

I was not too impressed with having to wait 6 hours for my room, but that is official hotel policy. I then went to explore the Shoppes, and the promenade of Marina Bay Sands. I had been researching this for a while on TripAdvisor and YouTube, and now I had my opportunity to takes as many photos as I could.

There are no ATMs in Marina Bay Sands hotel itself, which I found quite poor, especially seeing as it is a resort destination, even for daytrippers. I enquired with the concierge about exchanging my UK Pounds for Singapore Dollars, and he informed me the Far Eastern Money Exchange outlet on the top floor of the Shoppes was the best option. It took me ages to find it, and the guy inside is very rude and does not even speak to you as he exchanges your money. He is not an employee of Marina Bay Sands, so I am not criticising the hotel, but, once again, it would be nice to have some kind of currency exchange within the hotel itself.

I decided that to pass time I would also visit the famous SkyPark. I informed the lady at the desk that I was a guest of the hotel and was checking in later that day, and asked if that meant I get complimentary access to the SkyPark. Unfortunately not, as without your roomkey card (which you don't get until your room is ready a 3pm), you are treated like any of the other paying guests. I paid anyway as I needed to pass the time, but I think many people have enquired about SkyPark entry in the past, and you can only do it without paying if you have your roomkey card with you. Otherwise you lose the privilege. The touristy [paying] side of the SkyPark is largely a waste of time, with just a drinks seller and a souvenir stall in what is a relatively small and cramped area.

Finally the time to get my room had arrived. Incidentally, I tried my luck going back to the reception at about 14.30, and luckily enough for me, my room was ready. I was informed of the room number and went up in the tower 2 elevator to floor number 48. When I used the keycard to open the door I was shocked. I had received a complimentary upgrade to a Club Room with City View! The room was massive, the most luxurious I have ever stayed in. I had floor-to-ceiling windows with views of the Marina, from which I had a great bird's eye view on my first night of the spectacular WonderFull laser show. The bathroom had an oversized bathtub with walk in toilet and separate walk in shower. There were a plethora of mirrors all around the room, with a three-piece sofa, 2 armchairs, a glass dining table, a kingsize bed, a work desk with complimentary Internet, and of course free access to the Banyan Tree Spa (which I didn't use). I would like to remark that the Internet access is faultless and the speed is perfect for a business hotel. I did not notice any slow moments even during peak times, however your complimentary access lasts for just 24 hours (from the first log in) and therefore you must re-enter the simple passcode every day to continue your usage.

One problem I did encounter at Marina Bay Sands was the minibar. As is typical in a lot of modern hotels these days, the contents of the minibar are on a sensor and if you remove an item, even without wanting to consume it, then it will be charged to your room account. On one occassion, I wanted a can of Coke, only to remove it and notice that it was 3 (THREE) months out of date. I promptly called Guest Priority Services and informed them of the problem. Later that day, I found a note of apology from the minibar staff on my glass table, with a complimentary bowl of fruit and some chocolates. It was a lovely touch, although how a drink that is 3 months out of date gets past quality control in a luxury hotel I will never know! I also noticed upon check out that I was not charged for the can of Coke.

The SkyPark is open to hotel guests from 6am to 11pm, weather permitting. I did not actually realise it opened so early, since otherwise I would have made use of watching the sunrise from up there. The attentive pool staff come along and offer drinks and snacks (via order form) at regular intervals. You don't need to carry any cash, it will be charged to your room account. However, towels were not offered at all. If you want a towel you need to walk up to the towel podium and sign for one. Enough has been said about the view from the SkyPark, so there's no need to go over it all again here, but rest assured it was the highlight of my trip to Singapore from a leisure perspective. I got whistled at once by a lifeguard because I was swimming in a cotton T-Shirt, which apparently isn't allowed, so make sure you don't make the same mistake. Expensive swimwear is available to purchase from the SkyPark Shop.

Overall, Marina Bay Sands is an expensive hotel, but you get what you pay for. There are many other luxury 5 star hotels in Singapore, in fact quite a few facing the marina itself, but Marina Bay Sands classes itself as an integrated resort, with Shoppes, Casino, SkyPark, and many eateries. You are paying for the luxury and convenience of being on top of it all, and arguably the SkyPark experience is worth the nightly rate alone, even if only staying for the one night. It can be said that public transport connections to Marina Bay Sands are not ideal (at time of writing), although taxis are so so cheap and efficient in Singapore, everywhere in the country is easy to get to, so finding your way to the hotel should not be a problem. Sleep quality was extremely good, with a lovely bed in a clean, well attended-to room. Being a new property, the hotel still has an air of natural cleanliness to it, as if nobody has ever slept in your bed before or used the same carpet as you. This is what makes a 5 star hotel experience so special for me.

Check out was painless and painful at the same time. Painless as in easy and stress-free, and painful because I realised I had to leave this wonderful place. Even after checking out, I was allowed to leave my bags there for seemingly an unlimited time if I wanted to (according to the concierge when I enquired), and the final act of my first ever stay at Marina Bay Sands was the bellboys who graciously opened the front doors for me, put my bags into the taxi, and opened and shut the cab door for me. It was a final act of kindness and top-notch professionalism that will certainly see me come back to this marvellous hotel in the very near future.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Shawn_Ng, Senior Hotel Manager at Marina Bay Sands, responded to this review, January 20, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are disappointed to learn of the challenges you encountered during your stay which may have marred your otherwise pleasant experience with us.

We have shared your comments regarding the disposition of our Airport Shuttle drivers with the Transportation Department for review and necessary actions. We do allow our guests to visit the SkyPark as they wait for their rooms to be ready. Please accept my apologies, on behalf of our Team Members, for not giving you the correct information.

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to highlight your positive experiences as well. We are heartened to learn that our Team Members, namely the Bellmen, Housekeeping and SkyPark teams contributed to making your stay a more comfortable one.

Once again, we apologize for the shortfalls in our service standards during your stay. We value our guests' feedback and we would like to assure you that we are continuously reviewing our processes for improvement.

We hope to welcome you back to Marina Bay Sands in the future for a more comfortable stay with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,738)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

Stayed here for two nights recently and admittedly, I didn't have high expectations. However, I was amazed to find that the service has improved drastically and the hotel is making a genuine effort to enhance its guests experience. The hotel has a 'priority service' which basically allows you to request for just about anything. Complained that my room had not been cleaned although I was out for 3 hours and within 10 minutes, someone was at my door. 30 minutes later, the reception called to check if the room had been cleaned to my expectations and if they could assist me with anything. I truly felt that my needs were taken care of. The infinity pool, as many have said...is absolutely breathtaking!! And it's great that only hotel guests can access the pool. The biggest issue with the hotel is that the long lines at the reception is still a problem. There's a staff offering mineral water to thirsty guests, but really, all that is needed is a room after a long flight. However, do note that this is not a hotel for everyone. If you're not a fan of a 'lively' lobby past 10pm and want personalised service where the staff know you by name even if you stay in its most basic accommodation, then opt for something else. This is a massive hotel, which also happens to be a tourist destination.

Room Tip: City view rooms are much better and quieter.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your wonderful review. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and we are glad to hear that our service standards exceeded your expectations. Service has always been a priority to us and we are encouraged by your positive feedback.

We have taken note of your comments regarding the lines at the reception and we would like to assure you that we are continuously reviewing our processes to manage the crowds on property and improve the experience for our guests.

We recognize that service excellence is a continuous journey for us and it is a task we take with dedication and pride. We look forward to welcoming you back to Marina Bay Sands soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012 via mobile

Check in was a smooth one, get to our room met all the citeria tht we need.. Skypark was a nice view... Storing my luggage was also a smooth one at t1 nex to the concierge.. The guy wearing a black shirt was really fast n efficient, got his name on the tag,hafiz... Grt job for clearing the queue fast!!! Overall it was perfect!!!

• Stayed December 2011
Shawn_Ng, Senior Hotel Manager at Marina Bay Sands, responded to this review, January 19, 2012
Thank you for your delightful review.

I am glad that you had a smooth check-in process and that you enjoyed your time up on the SkyPark. I am happy to hear that our Team Member, Hafiz succeeded in providing personalized service to ensure that you had a great stay.

We look forward to your next visit at our one-stop destination of entertainment, shopping and restaurants at Marina Bay Sands.
Chennai (Madras), India
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

Pl don't come to this hotel it's horrible one to stay they will not gine even drinking water more than 500ml per day. If u want u must pay $6 for 500ml of water. I think it's shame on part we r paying more than $400 per day. I called up the customer manager on this issue the gentleman told tap water is gud to drink. Think is it fair on their part. So think once to gent into such treatment of hotel management.

Room Tip: dont't come to this hotel
Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your comments. I regret to learn about the challenges you encountered during your recent stay.

I apologize on behalf of our Team Members for not exercising more flexibility and accommodate to your request for more complimentary bottled water. It is never our intention to cause unnecessary inconveniences for our guests.

We value your patronage and we hope that you will allow us another opportunity to welcome you back to stay with us in the future.
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

Stayed here for 5 nights and must say the rooms are nice with great views of the marina, or the sea. The pool area is very nice and the views must be seen Go up there just before sun set and see the city lights come on. Sky bar is also very good, and you can see the water and laser show up there if you can get a table near the side. The mall can be accessed via the underground link found within the hotel lobby.

On the down side this is a casino based hotel. Therefore, a lot of people coming in and out, no staff will smile or say hello to you, let alone address you. Check in staff I had were very poor and so were the bell boys. Short staffed i would say for the amount of people. My bedsheets were stanied and that put me off this hotel big time.

Good link to the MRT now that Bayfront is open, buy a pre-paid card for $12 at the station as this will save you money on top ups and each journey is cheaper than singles each time, there is however a $5 non-deposit included in the price so only get if you will be travelling more than 4 return journeys during your stay. The wait for the Taxi’s can be long, so make sure that you tell the door staff that you’re a customer, local people also use the taxi queue, the door staff will bump you up the queue. Get out of this place and see the real Singapore as this is very western with branded shops after shops...

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your room stay as well as your time up on the SkyPark.

We are delighted to hear that you had the opportunity to catch Wonder Full, our nightly light and water spectacular.

Service is of top priority for us and it is our goal to consistently deliver superior service to our guests. It is only through valuable feedback such as yours that we are able to continuously improve on our service standards to achieve higher levels of service excellence.

We value your patronage and we hope that you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you back to stay with us to experience more of what our property has to offer.
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

we have been upgraded to the Chairman Suite. It was unbelievable! About 300sq meter suite with 2 rooms, dining room, great living room with piano, exercise room, sauna, city and bay views and... automatic WC!
go to youtube and type chairman/presidential Suite Marina Baysands View and you will see what i mean....

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your wonderful review. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your room upgrade in one of our Suites as well as its amenities. We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you and your family back to stay with us in the near future, perhaps for the opening of Phase 1 of the Gardens in June later this year.
Peterborough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

first impression was great hotel until i went to check in & waited 1/2hr only to be advised i had to check in at another tower! Smaller queue here but still a considerable wait. After finally checking in we then had to wait for our baggage to be delivered!!!
That said, delux room was fantastic, great views, inifinity pool was great & drinks on the rooftop in the evening overlooking Singapore was a highlight. Overall, good hotel with great facilties, shame the service didnt quite match.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Shawn_Ng, Senior Hotel Manager at Marina Bay Sands, responded to this review, January 18, 2012
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We regret to hear about the delay you experienced upon check-in which may have marred your otherwise pleasant experience and we apologize for the shortfalls in our service touch points.

Service is a priority for us and we are continuously reviewing ways to improve our check-in processes especially during peak periods. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you and your partner back to Marina Bay Sands in the future for a more successful stay.

Been to Marina Bay Sands? Share your experiences!