“Trendy Place” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #145 of 294 Hotels in Singapore
Manila, Philippines
“Trendy Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2011

I discovered Studio M while surfing TripAdvisor and decided to try it out. Singapore is fast becoming an expensive place but I thought that Studio M rates were reasonable. I was not disappointed. The hotel is trendy, modern and teeming with youthful energy. It is right in the heart of Clark Quay with excellent restaurants a mere 5 - 10 minutes by walking. It is not your usual hotel and it will appeal to travelers who like their hotels distinct, with individual style but not over the top. Their breakfast buffet also did not disappoint. I will stay here again if given the opportunity.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Seoul, South Korea
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2011

I stayed at Studio M for 1 night during my stopover in Singapore. I have stayed at the M hotel before and the good experience at the M hotel made me book Studio M.

However the atmosphere at the Studio M was quite different from Studio M. I felt unwelcome at my late arrival and there really was lack of front line staffs at this hotel. The room was interesting and the loft was okay. I would recommend this hotel if you are a solo or a couple. The room itself was very small compared to other hotels in Singapore and don’t even mention about the shower.

If you are planning to stay at Studio M, remember that the shower and toilet is very small! Also it is quite far from the MRT so you might need to take a cab back and forth. If these doesn’t bother you, Studio M can be a good place for you.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
Den Bosch
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2011

On our way home to Amsterdam after a few weeks in Thailand, we decided to stay in Singapore as I always do on the Singapore stopover package. I have always stayed at another hotel, but this time I decided to stay here, as it looked good on the website. Upon arrival at the hotel there was a row of people waiting to be checked in , and no porter, all had to carry their own luggage up to their rooms, and we had a few pieces. When we got to the room we were blown away on the size ...SMALL. (a box size shower room and a seperate box for the WC and no real storage space ) If you are traveling with a family,this would not be for you.
There was nothing in the mini bar(found out later that you have to pay more for the room to get that stocked), no room service menu (had to go to reception to ask for it).
Anyway to cut a long story short, will I stay here again...no is the answer, will go back to my old place round the corner.
They really need to up the service at this place otherwise people will not be returning after their first stay..

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2011

A very stylish hotel located at the CQ. My son loves the hotel that he could go up and the view is good! The design of the hotel is great that they could bring in the sunlight which is fantistic. Even though the room is small and found it is diffcult to organize our stuff, the bed is so nice!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2010

I stayed in this hotel on 24 Dec and because of the loft concept. However, I was utterly disappointed and regretted my decision to stay here. I know that this is a peak period but I would still expect a good quality from the hotel because of the amount i paid for.

When we climbed up to the cleaned bed, we found a few strands of hair (not ours) on the bed under the quilt cover. Also, the shelves were not cleaned. We could see visible dust and feathers on the shelves. The glass panels were als stained with tea/water marks.

Overall, we did not enjoy our stay and with the kind of money paid, I could have opted for another hotel to stay that could be far more cheaper.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2010

Writing this review sitting at the desk in Studio M Singapore right now.

This is the only hotel we were never greeted by any staff when we came across them in the lobby, by the entrance, in the lift, even when they brought in room service orders to the room.

We chose this hotel because of the loft design, which I had always wanted for my own home. For a couple checking in a local hotel for a leisure stay, the room is sufficient, but I could imagine overseas guests fill the room with just one luggage.

Christmas is just days away, however we could not feel any festive warmth at all, the lobby is austere, and the staff more so. Check-in was smooth, but we were not shown the way to the lifts, nor informed of the facilities or features of the hotel.

Decor in the room is minimalist, with earthy color tones like 'Muji', dark brown, beige, white and black. In room amenities were also minimalist, ONLY one bathrobe for a double occupancy room; there were no coffee powder, but several packets of coffee mate and tea bags.

shower room and toilet are seperated. The shower room size is small but ok, and we loved the marble bench inside. However the toilet is really small.

The only saving grace is the coffee shop in the lobby level which is good value for money and service is friendly. A sandwich set cost only $15 consists of choice of panini, a portion of buffalo mozzarella, a choice of pastry and a bottle of Acqua Panna, and a dip of balsamic reduction for even more extra bread.

We may not be back for the hotel, but will definitely be back for the coffee shop.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
yokohama
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2010

I stayed at the Studio M for 9 nights on a first time trip to Singapore on business. The hotel is new, however, my particular room already showed some signs of wear. The location is good; walking distance to the Clarke Quay and Boat Quay areas, where all of the restaurants, shops, and night life seems to be. Some of the taxi drivers still don't know where this hotel is so I suggest that all guests carry the address along with you.

The service wasn't too terribly bad, but personally, I am not particular type who really likes a lot of pampering. If you're looking for a lot of extras, and top quality service, you probably won't find it here. That's all I really have to say that is remotely positive about this hotel.

Studio M in general has a very awkward and hard to use layout. It looks modern and sleek at first glance, but after about an hour of being in the room, you start to discover how user-unfriendly the place really is. And the longer you stay, the more frustrated you get with some of the oddities that this room has.

For example, in order to activate the power to the room, you have to slide your key card into a little slot in the light switch located by the front door. I found this to be quite convenient, because I tend to lose my key all the time. This way, I always know where to find my key. However, the bad part is, that every time I leave the room and take the key out of the slot, it shuts down ALL power to the room. The air con, clock radio (which is really annoying because it never keeps the right time, and is much too bright. And since its glued to the desk, you can't turn it away from you. Get rid of it! Its out dated, not compatible with new iphones and ipods, and just place usless!) , the lights, all wall sockets -EVERYTHING! That means that every time I return to my room, the room is really hot and humid and takes a while for it to cool down. On top of that, the air con's temperature settings always resets itself to 22 degrees which is much too cold, especially when the vents are right above my bed blowing frigid air on me. This means that if I forget to raise the temperature before I go up to my loft, I have to climb all the way down the really scary stairs again and set the temperature. Another thing is, I have a lot of electronics with me (my laptop, iphone, digital camera, etc.) so since the whole room powers off when I leave, I can't charge my devices while I am away.

The room's layout is little to be desired. I thought it was interesting at first, but after about the third day, it got to be a real annoyance. I really don't don't get the loft concept because in my opinion, it is a really poor utilization of available space. I think it would have worked much better if the loft was a full sized floor, hence a two story room instead of a one and a half story room. This way you have some storage space for suit cases or perhaps a more spacious living space on the second floor. Instead, I get a very small sleeping area, and a small living area.

But the one thing I found to be more awkward than anything else were the stairs. This is an accident waiting to happen! There were times I thought I was going to trip and fall. And since the bottom of the stairs is basically the top of the writing desk (which is also very odd) and the big glass window, it just screams serious injury for those who aren't too coordinated.

Another accident that is bound to happen sooner or later is the glass partition next to the bed that keeps you from tumbling to the ground below. Well, its pretty useless. Although there is a sticker that reads "don't lean against the glass" someone is bound to do it, and if that glass gives away, there will be serious injury (just a heads up to management if you're reading this). Replace the glass with more sturdy railing. Or better yet, expand the floor space a bit more so that you have more space to walk.

Overall, I wouldn't say it's a horribly bad hotel. If you plan to stay for only 2 to 3 days, don't really care about service, and just want to be within walking distance of all of the action, then maybe its worth a go. But any more than that, I would suggest finding a more conventional hotel with more conventional layouts (unless you like stuff like this). That's what I'll be doing on my next trip here.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business

Been to Studio M Hotel? Share your experiences!