“Please be careful of the steps!” 2 of 5 stars

Studio M Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No. 3 Nanson Road, Singapore 238910, Singapore   |
Ranked #133 of 293 Hotels in Singapore
Melbourne
“Please be careful of the steps!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Pro's-
Location is fantastic and the hotel is very clean.
The rooms are not claustrophobic in terms of living space.
The staff are pleasant, especially in the cafe and at breakfast.
The bed was very comfortable and the linen was good quality with a choice of pillows.
The food in the cafe beneath the hotel was very good.
Breakfast was nice and a very good selection was offered. I was impressed by the times breakfast was served 6.30- 10.30am to allow people to sleep in if they wanted to.
There was a wide selection of TV channels including radio.
I was able to connect to wi-fi easily and it ran most sites, however my colleague was not able to connect and did not receive assistance when she requested from reception.
The lap pool and seating area were pleasant, but the Jacuzzi was not really a Jacuzzi, more an unheated pool with 4 weak bubble streams.

Cons-
Major con- The room design might look cool but it is dangerous. On my fourth night I slipped on the shiny laminated wood stairs from the bed area and fell down and off the unguarded section suffering severe bruising to my arm and hip. Had I fallen onto my head, face or spine I dread to think what injuries I would have sustained. Had there been a guard rail on the steps leading from the desk to the floor I would not have been injured. I strongly suggest adding this in before someone seriously hurts themselves. Do not stay here with children. Be extremely careful using the steps.
Size of toilet and shower mean anyone that is claustrophobic would not be able to use them, or would need to leave the doors open which wouldn't suit travelers' with companions.
Shower smelled strongly of damp which made the room smell, probably because people shower with the door open due to size and because there is no fan. There is a certain amount of wear and tear in the room which I didn't expect given the price of Sing $220 per night.
Guests are required to have a credit card upon check in, which $250 would be taken off for possible charges and refunded at check out. Well, I didn't have a credit card and didn't know anything about this requirement beforehand. Fortunately they allowed me to stay without a deposit.
No explanation as to where to find breakfast or any facilities was given at check in, I had to ask another guest.
There was no obvious queuing structure at reception because of the trendy design of the desk so was a 'free for all' at busy times.
Room service was terrible- phoned for an iron twice and was promised it would arrive but nobody turned up. Tried to order room service for 15 minutes before giving up as no answer on the phone. It is quicker to visit the cafe than try to order.
There were only four coat hangers. I was here for a week and had at least double the amount of items that needed hanging to amount of hangers available. Anyone on a business trip really needs access to an iron and hangers. Perhaps a room for ironing and access to more would be beneficial.
It would be nice if a small amount of milk was provided for black tea in the rooms.

In summary, this was paid for through work, but had I paid for it myself I would have been really disappointed due to the cost. It does not strike me as good value considering the quality and the trendy design over guest safety and comfort.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a bed at the bottom so you don't have to use the stairs
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
StudioMHotel, Hotel Management at Studio M Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear Jessica D,

We regret to learn about the mishap you encountered during your recent visit. We have begun our internal investigation towards the recent points raised, and more importantly the injury you had encountered. Kindly contact us directly at enquiry.smh@millenniumhotels.com to enable us to connect with you directly.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

What a lovely boutique Hotel small but everything you need its well situated to the centre and marina areas it has a lovely eating area and very reasonable with good staff would definatly stop there again

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
StudioMHotel, Hotel Management at Studio M Hotel, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Dear Baggi2013,

Thank you for your review and recommendation, We look forward to welcoming you back real soon.
squinting at my laptop
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Quirky little studio hotel, love it. Huge windows, small bedsit type set up with closet like WC and separate closet shower. Desk and sofa at floor level with separate steps up to bed level in true space saving set up. Not claustrophobic at all, very well located adjacent to Robinson Quay. Will definitely stay there from now on, price was reasonable too.

Room Tip: Studio M is on NANSON ROAD, there is also the M Hotel on ANSON ROAD, not to be confused, both belong...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear KamalHMY,

We value your feedback and are heartened to know you appreciate the distinctive Studio M experience. Thank you for your kind comments and patronage. We look forward to your next stay at Studio M soon!
Bologna
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

They are declaring that this is a non smoking hotel but it is not true. We decided to chose it because it is nice and well positioned but everything in the room smell like a cigarette: bed, maquette, wall. We have changed two rooms: same. If you don't like it, do not come here!

• Stayed August 2013
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Stayed at a premier loft (which is the same size as the studio loft except studio lofts have their beds on the bottom floor with a sitting area on the top, but the premier loft is the other way around - sitting area in the bottom, bed on top which makes much more sense) - while I appreciate the effort of doing more with less space and being quite roomy for the size, it still can border on a bit claustro at times. Does have all the modern trappings and fittings (safety deposit box, decent TV selection, comfy beds) at an ok price for a place like Singapore. The toilet is in one stall under the staircase, and the shower on the other. Just from that description alone you can tell what it's like and if that's a pet peeve, but if you're just using this as a comfy/clean place to stay (when you'll be out of the room a lot anyway) then I think you can't really go wrong. Shuttle is at odd times (every half hour) but still decently convenient location wise and you could also pick up a taxi and go where you need to go as they're not too bad in SG.

All in all, good for what it is!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Jurong, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

It was no the first time staying in Studio M hotel SIngapore. The first time was really a pleasant one.

However, this time it was not. I tried to make a reservation using my complimentary stay voucher from ala carte card renewal. My email was not reply until i resend them again, This hotel do not practice prompt email reply. Later when i wanted to change the date of the stay, my email was not reply again.

When i follow up with a feedback to complain, there was no reply neither. Very bad service provided by Studio M.

Hotel location was not fantastic neither. I would advise tourist not to stay in this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Just a stone throw away from the bustling nightspot Clarke Quay, the hotel is probably 15-20mins walk away from the nearest MRT station Clarke Quay.
This is my second time staying with Studio M, this time round for a weekend staycation with my girlfriend. Had also intended to use the room for a photoshoot & booked the photographer at 12pm. Beforehand, in the weeks & days leading up to my stay, I had called up the hotel several times to request for early check-in, unfortunately, staff were all inflexible & did not go the extra mile to assist guests with their special request, quite disheartening indeed!
While on the cab, I called the hotel again, the front desk again gave a disappointing response, saying there were 6-7 guests in queue, all waiting for room to check-in as their official check out time was 12pm. When I arrived at hotel near 1pm, to my delight the queue for check-in has cleared and check-in was a breeze. Front desk staff even offered a free room upgrade. I had booked a Studio Loft, and was upgraded to a Premier Loft.
When we arrived at the restaurant for breakfast, we mentioned our guest room number to the staff and took our seats. When at the egg station, this lady rudely barged in and demanded to know our room number. She was not in hotel uniform and seemed like a tour guide to me. Hence I replied her "we are not with your group" and ignored her, proceeding to place my order for omelettes at the egg station. Again she demanded to know our room number which my girlfriend responded.

We were confused with who she was and why is she so rude. Awhile later after asking the waiter, we came to realize she was also a staff of the hotel. I guess it would be great if staff all wore uniform to prevent such unnecessary confusion in the future.

Room Tip: Premier loft, nice tall ceilings and tall windows
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Studio M Hotel? Share your experiences!