“Good Enough for Us” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #144 of 294 Hotels in Singapore
Singapore, Singapore
“Good Enough for Us”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

We used to live around the Robertson Quay area before relocating from Spore. We saw this hotel being built and was curious to discover what it is like. In summary : we will recommend this hotel on the basis of accessibility and good value for an increasingly expensive city. The hotel concierge can up its game by providing better service in informing first timers to Singapore the many choices of things to do which are easily accessible from Studio M. We had no issue with the wireless internet connection. The room size is consistent with residential developments starting from 2007/08 - shoe box size apartment units. Bed is standard Queen size, pull out sofa bed is good for someone under 5ft 3in and toilet cubicle is a tight squeeze. No issue with shower and water temperature. An annoyance is request for morning call never came. Room is kept clean and tidy. Those looking for bigger rooms are better off booking with older properties.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

What a disappointment! The rooms are designed for mice (even the "Premium" loft is barely large enough for an adult hobbit. The rooms were designed by a moron. Part of the desk-top doubles as the landing step to get up to/down from the loft. I wonder how many laptops and phones have been stepped on in this hotel (and how many necks or backs broken in the process)...

The toilet makes a phone booth seem luxuriously roomy, and don't drop the soap in the shower -- there is no room for anyone other than a small child (or abovementioned hobbit) to bend to pick it up, without stepping into the entry of the room.

There is ONE plug anywhere near the desk. It is recessed into the desk and designed in such a way that there is no room for the cord, rendering it useless (I literally cannot used the plug in the desk..). Fortunately, there are two wall plugs on the other side of the room, where the luggage platform is. Undoubtedly useful for the housekeeper. Not so helpful for any guest who actually wants to use the desk.

I am a business traveler who logs more than 250,000 miles a year, all over the world. And this is one of the most disappointing "hotels" I've ever seen. Avoid it, unless you happen to be a hobbit with a sever aversion to consumer electronics...

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

I stayed a night here for my birthday with a couple of cousins, and I haven't had such a great weekend in ages.

All rooms have two storeys, and ours had a double bed on the upper level, and a sofa bed on the lower level. The bed was superbly comfortable, there is cable tv, and I loved the contemporary minimalist interior of the room and lobby.

In terms of service, I didn't really feel the warmth from the staff at the Front Desk, but that was about all. The variety for the buffet breakfast was rather limited, and some food were not kept warm enough, but the quality of the food was nonetheless good, the service staff there were pleasant, and I thought the open-concept restaurant was a refreshing concept..

What I liked best about this hotel is its location. I may be a Singaporean myself, but I was enchanted by Robertson Quay. Just a minute's walk from the hotel entrance, there are numerous fantastic restaurants and bars along the Singapore River - it's a great place to chill if you like a more quiet and peaceful place.

Five minutes down the end of Robertson Quay is Clarke Quay, a relatively vibrant area, where many bars, restaurants and clubs are. Whichever cuisine you're looking for, they have it there.

All in all, I enjoyed my stay here, and it is a hotel I would recommend my friends and visitors to stay in.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011 via mobile

Stayed here twice, simply adore this hotel. Very unique with the bed on the 2nd level of the room. Loved the bay mirror in the room. Location wise not fantastic though the boat quay is within walking distance. There's shuttle bus to town but we didn't try that coz we just want to spend more time in the room. There's a nice pool n chilling area.

Breakfast is not fantastic but they have the basic. Be prepared to queue for eggs though, long long wait just for egg omelette.

I will certainly stay here again, just note that you may not like to stay here if you have kids, with the sharp corners n all, small toilet n bathroom.

• Stayed July 2011
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

Generally an acceptable (just) accommodation option. I travel with my employment and spend 6 months of the year in hotel rooms so unfortunately I know hotel rooms!. This trip was for a family holiday. Several things to be aware of though before you make a decision:

1. Some taxi drivers do not know where this hotel is located as it is only 1 year old and there is another hotel with a similar name (M hotel).
2. We booked a high room facing outwards and were given a low room facing inwards. Because we arrived very tired and late at night we did not follow this up.
3. As everyone mentions, yes the rooms are small. There are quite a few storage nooks and crannies we kept discovering during our stay (great for leaving things behind!), so exercise care. Yes the toilet closet or cubicle is small, when sitting on the throne you will only have a few inches (if any) clearance between your knees and the wall in front. We found it easiest to leave the door open to avoid claustrophobia and then needed to scoot sideways into the entry to pull pants up. To go number one in the middle of the night it is best to do that from the room entry (just outside the toilet cubicle) which is easily done for a male. Adds to family bonding and reminds me of camping with the family.
4. The shower that we had was a thrilling experience. Once the water temperature was set the water stream would switch between the temperature you had set and scalding hot. This would happen on a random yet continuous basis, averaging about every 30 seconds. I can only assume that this was the effect of other rooms turning taps on and off. I am not exaggerating and I know that this would be unacceptable if not illegal most places in the world. Because of this, my young children refused to take showers and had to be hand washed for the entire week long stay. Much to my childrens' amusement I braved the shower but there were plenty of screams and jumping out of the water stream to get washed. I have never encountered this before in 22 years of traveling the world and staying in hotel rooms 6 months per year.
5. The swimming pool is good for laps but no good for children. No shallow areas and very high sides. The "spa" was the same cold temperature as the main pool. Pool towels often unavailable.
6. High curtains make it impossible to completely close them. This creates privacy issues for the inwards facing rooms unless you like sitting in the dark. This also provided us with some interesting entertainment a couple of nights from opposite rooms in the building. Very much at he expensive of other unsuspecting hotel guests.
7. There is a master switch to turn off the room lights from the bedside upstairs. The problem with this is that it means that if anyone gets up in the night to use the toilet they have to do it in the dark, as the individual light switches will not work. Alternatively turn on all the room lights and disturb other sleepers. We generally chose the dark option but ensure your travel insurance is up to date as those stairs are steep!
8. This location is Robertson Quay close to Clarke Quay so there are plenty of good outside and riverside dining and bar options. It is also too far in my opinion from the MRT. Took about 25 minutes walk between hotel and MRT station in the humid heat each time we did it. It is also on a different line to the majority of other attractions. This involves a long underground walk to change lines to go one additional stop. Fortunately taxis are cheap.
9. Hotel cleanliness was average with he mandatory black hairs in the basin and bed sheets.
10. Other reviewers have mentioned unsmiling service. This is standard in Singapore in my experience. No bad intentions meant, I don't think, just busy trying to make another buck.

We had an enjoyable time in Singapore overall.
I hope this review is helpful.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

I stayed at Studio M just last week with my partner in an premier loft and I have to say, we were not so impressed:

- White white, and more white. The room lacked any colour, it was pine wood, some glass, and white. This might sound picky but take my word for it when I say, it felt cheap and uncaring
- Two words come to mind when I think of the interior design. Ikea and Rice
- The euro-styling might have been forgivable if it had felt like it still had class, elegance, or some level of care to it. But everything about the rooms screamed economy.
- Perhaps the thing that I find most unforgivable was that the in-room dining. The in-room dining is supplied by a couple of different cafes surrounding the hotel. Pizza is available 6pm-10pm along with other main meals. Other dishes are available 24/7. The food was not at all objectionable, how ever! They are served in plastic containers with plastic forks and knives in packets. These take-away options took half an hour to arrive and were often luke-warm and destroyed by the sealed containers which did not allow moisture to ventilate. The evening I left I was served an hour after ordering, I was literally picking up the phone to find out what had happened to my order when the door rang. In her arms she had 4 other plastic square contained meals that she was taking around to others in the hotel, balanced vicariously on a small plastic tray. I was surprised she was actually capable of producing the receipt I needed to sign considering she had her hands so full. There was no smile, no apology for the time delay, she hardly said a word and it was obvious that this was not due to any language difficulties.
- When asking for some ice to use for drinks a colleague was going to be charged $3 if he wanted it delievered
- When asking if we could drink our own alcohol around the pool side we were told yes by reception then no by the staff on the recreation floor, then yes by reception again, then when arriving back we were restricted to only drinking on the poolside recliners despite the presence of lounges and sofas scattered across the unpopulated deck.
- When wanting to order a poolside drink I had to search to find a waiter. I stood at the greeting desk for 2 minutes watching him tinker on the piano to pass the time, he seemed very bored.
- Finally he got up and without glancing towards his work station, dragged himself away to the bar where I finally stormed over to deliver my order.
- The poolside food is limited to 7-8 japanese entrées and 7-8 japanese mains. So you'd better like japanese if you should like to eat by the pool.
- The pool itself is well sized considering the rooms. It has a nice outlook and remains out of the harsh sun for most of the day, yet presenting itself at times as it passes over the H shaped design of the building.
- There's only JUST enough deck chairs so you best be okay with lounging next to a stranger
- The gym is well appointed with everything you might need including provided towels. There's one of everything except the treadmills of which there are two
- One evening we felt like some drinks at the bar, only to sit there for 15 minutes ringing the bell obnoxiously. We could hear people chatting away in the kitchen but not a soul came out to serve us, despite a chef eyeing us off as he walked back in presumably after a break. we gave up and went and grabbed our own drinks.
- With night service so bureaucratic and unreliable, it was astonishing how efficiently they managed to end the buffet service at 10:30am sharp. Much of the packing began before this time in fact, and the staff seemed only too ready to pounce upon the food as the clock struck 10:30. One felt rather confronted as the frenzied stuff hustled plates and cutlery away.
- The buffet food was quite enjoyable on an up note, and the outdoor undercover eatery is very pleasant.
- The first thing you'll notice in the foyer of Studio M is the pungent fabricated floral smell, I apologise for not knowing the particular flower. There are orchids around however I'm convinced that they alone could not produce the slightly dizzying effect I experienced every time I walked in the door.
- The staff are young, fluent in english, and featured in the most faux pas uniforms, consisting of transparent white shirts and grey vests that would make Kate Moss look fat.
- The complimentary wi-fi had the "umph" and reliabilty of a budgerigar
- Please note the plants featured in the rooms on the online pictures are NOT present
- The beds are luxuriously comfortable, a serious upside to this hotel, though the radio/ipod clock was so extremely bright we has to use the complementary Bible to block it each night.

In finishing, the attitude of the hotel was sadly economical, and efficient. In an asian hotel I relish the thought of their unsurpassed service, their beaming smiles, and humble offer to do anything necessary to make your stay more accommodating. In a european hotel one expects a particular level of class, knowledgeability, and elegance. Studio M's staff appeared as if they'd extracted the most undesirable parts of both services and combined them together, perhaps symbolised in their "Eeyore grey" uniforms. Their air of education came through as an inability to work beyond the framework of their clinical hotel policies. Their elegance came as silver coated plastic forks and knives, their class came in uber-modern interior design that was so white and clinical one felt oddly as if inside a designer hospital. The only staff member to make my day EVERY day, was the dear housekeeping girl who didn't speak a speck of english but went about her work with a genuine beaming smile, admirable diligence, and a serving attitude that made your heart melt.

Out of sheer protest I would not recommend this hotel, it's plain, new, and efficient if you need a good stop over experience. However to stay there is to fund Millenium Copthorne and their endevour to create an asian hotel that symbolises values only europeans know how to execute. Asian hospitality is second to none, and it was very sad to see this product so clearly designed to make money with efficacy, rather than a hotel experience full of people passionate about the concept of their service

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

We stayed 7 nights here and was a little worried by some of the reviews. Fortunately we were pleasantly surprised. The rooms are very small and compact but very well designed. There was plenty of storage space with pull out draws under the bed, cabinets for toiletries and the whole upstairs for suitcases to be stored.

The location is excellent - it is located at the quieter end of Clarke Quay but a 5 minute walk and you're in the hustle and bustle with more cafes and restaurants than you could hope for. The MRT was a 10 minute walk at a leisurely pace and it's a lovely walk alongside the quay. it is well hidden in the Central Mall so make sure you ask someone first.

We didn't have much to do with the staff but any encounter was met with politeness and friendliness.

Pool is a good size and a well equipped gym, plus free wifi and free access to several macs located around the hotel.

All in all it was excellent valuer for money and in our opinion a much better place to stay than Orchard Road, we will definitely consider staying there again if we are back in Singapore.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Studio M Hotel? Share your experiences!