“Feels like staying in a dormitory school” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Fernloft China Town

Save Saved
You added Fernloft China Town to your Saves list
Fernloft China Town
Blk 5 Banda Street #02-92 | located on second floor, Singapore 050005 , Singapore   |
Ranked #57 of 182 Specialty lodging in Singapore
Denpasar, Indonesia
“Feels like staying in a dormitory school”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2010

I stayed at Fernloft Little India for the 1st night, at Chinatown for the 2nd & 3rd and finally back to Little India on my 4th night because I had problem with my flight.

What I don't like:
1. I read the reviews on Hostelworld that this hostel get the big 5 of reviewers rating. It shown that everybody who stayed there always feel happy, so based on that review I decided to book a room. It was Feel like Home, but I don't feel I have privacy since there are many rules (feels like staying in a dormitory school), which in my deep thought the rules were OK, but the first impression was not impressed me as much as I read on the website. I mean, I know Auntie Aini was trying to make all things in the right way (perfectionist) in order to to make everybody feel comfort and happy, but not everybody is OK with that kind of service.
One accident happened when I took my bath in the 1st morning I stayed. While I was inside the bathroom, someone knocking the door. While still curious with the knocking (I thought I was just 10 minutes inside), was my mistake I did not directly answer, then suddenly the bathroom door is opened! I was screaming and luckily no one saw me (one man was sitting facing the computer).
Once I finished, Aunti was telling me she thought no one inside the bathroom since no one replying her knocking and the light were off. I said she should heard the water runs. Then she said that people outside the bathroom cannot hear the water runs and very often guest left the door open and the water runs. I know it was a lie because even from my room I can hear the water runs in the bathroom or even from the pipe beside the bathroom! And about the light, it was in the morning, very clear, so I didn't turn on the light coz I think It's already clear enough! There's no rules written on the wall that we should turn on the lights while bathing. It was really really really a bad experience I've had during my stay and my trip.
The next bathing time, I was checking the hook key in the bathroom. Obviously, even I have already put the key in the right order, it still can be opened from outside by forcing it. You need to change different type of door, if not, will be very dangerous especially for ladies guest.

2. Well, talking, sharing and knowing people is a must in our life, but I don't really like if the conversations turned into telling bad things about other guest nations, or even about other branch. I don't really care about internal problems, but as one company every staff should make a good trace and showing professionalism for a good image for their company. She gave me a guest comment paper for writing my comment about Little India branch but not for the Chinatown. I think this is not fair. If you need feedback should be widely open for good or bad feedback.

What I like:
1. Helpful information about Singapore from Aunti
2. The location was great! Luckily I stayed during the Chinese NY festival so I can walked around enjoying the festival. The view from the 2nd floor is awesome, as we saw Chinese temple every morning.
3. Clean and we had a honeymoon-red room. Love the colour, love the pillows (4 comfy pillows)
4. Welcome drink is available

Even though this hostel is recommended, I hope the owner do some action to prevent those things not happen in the future for other guest.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends

28 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Ljubljana,Slovenia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2010

This is certanly not a hostel or a place, where you want to be,sleep.... First of all this so called hostel is in a building, in a "place", where you should put your bike in. I don't know what is so romantic and all that about this hostel, but i don't find a little room with no window romantic, i find it claustrophobic, and i'm not claustrophobic. "Hostel" is supposed to be somekind of warehouse, or something...Location is OK if you like a loud auction, smell of food quarter and market . "Hostel" is way to expencive for what they are offering. They have a shared bathroom an the doors are made of tiny,tiny plastic,so if you pull it a little bit harder, they may brake. The toilet an shower are in front of the reception room, because this place is really small. A bike warehouse.
The owner is a women, and all the time she is putting her nose in everything. Like a mother on a teenager - "you came late last night, where did you go" oh comme on, give me a brake. She even got a self printed quality diploma on the wall for that place beeing a 4th best hostel in Singapore.She sleeps in a dorm with all other guests. I'm not a 5 star guest, but this place is really the worst place, i've been to, OK, maybe top 4.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Traralgon, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2009

Fernloft Chinatown was clean, convenient and cosy. Stayed in private room for 5 nights which was very comfortable, clean and fairly roomy. There is no lounge area, but the balcony has plenty of tables and places to sit - also has city views.
Excellent and cheap food hall across the road is a bonus!
The manager of the lodge was extremely helpful and very welcoming.
We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Fernloft for 3 nights. The first two nights were in a private room and the third night was in the dorm because the private was unavailable.
They had a special on where they paid for our shuttle from the airport so that was great. Getting to the airport outside of train hours was a bit pricey though.
Maria was quick to reply to our email questions. She was always very welcoming and friendly and every time I saw her she was working hard on cleaning or managing the hostel. She does a great job.
The common area is very small but there is a computer with free internet. They have toast and tea/coffee for breakfast. There are only a couple bathrooms but they didn't seem to be overly busy for how many people can fit in the hostel.
The private room we were in was very nice for a hostel. Roomy, tidy and fresh feeling. We got unlimited access to the a/c in there. In the dorm the a/c is only on overnight. We were comfy enough in both rooms but neither were amazing comfort.
The location is great. You are within a less than 5 minute walk to two very large hawker complxes. The Chinatown complex and Maxwell Centre I think they were called. I think there are some stalls open at any time of the day. You have a lovely view off of the balcony (hostel is on the second floor above shops) with some green space even!
I would definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Fernloft China Town? Share your experiences!