“Best choice for saving money” 3 of 5 stars

Wow Hostels
67B Lor 27 Geylang, Singapore 388189, Singapore   |
Ranked #248 of 300 Hotels in Singapore
Hanoi, Vietnam
“Best choice for saving money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The first time I heard that we'll stay there 3 nights, I am worried because Wow is in a red light area. So, I think, it is so dangerous. :) However, I had 3 nights in the Wow to save the money as it is on the Green line- EW line to the airport and downtown. If you go far from the station, it is a bit little of danger. When you stay in Wow, there is no reception, there is no service except internet with 2 computers and 1 massage chair- a good choice as you walk all day. :) I love the chair and use it 30 mins to have a good sleep. You can save money when use a room with 7 others, in addition, you have a free breakfirst with bread, preserved fruit,... I'll plan to back Sing and stay at Wow in 2013 with 10 members in my family, :D

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Indonesian first
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Wow hostel was our first place out of 54 that we stayed at during our travels around South East Asia and in hindsight, one of the worst. Don't get me wrong, the price was good, the location was good and Singapore is an awesome place but this hostel is one of those that spends more time on its website than on the actual product.

Location:

We found it very well located, right next to Aljunied MRT train station which is in between the city centre and the airport. We found it very quickly and walked up the stairs, taking our shoes of of course, and paid for our room plus a key deposit (fair enough). We then were walked out of the building to the annex. We climbed some pretty grubby stairs and were shown to our room.

Room:

The air conditioning worked very well, the bunk beds were comfortable and appeared clean but the main gripe was that we paid for a private double and what we got was a room that had been split into two parts with a partition wall that didn't account for the window. Basically you could hear the conversations from next door because there was a huge gap where the partition wall met the window. Not really a private room, and we found out the next morning when we were awoken by some pretty loud people in the next room.

Accommodation:

The door release system out of our building took a bit of working out and we genuinely thought we were trapped inside the building at one point until we worked out which button released the magnetic lock. The shared bathrooms (two shower rooms with toilet, four sinks) were clean-ish, depends who had been in before really but no real complaints.

The breakfast is a bit hit and miss - you'll probably get some toast and coffee but that's about it. They have a couple of PCs with free internet but they were normally being used. I did get on one once and it worked ok.

Neighbourhood:

In the neighbourhood there are some nice places to eat, especially the rough and ready curry place which we went to a few times and were shocked by how cheap it was for a really nice meal. There are some local bars and noodle joints too. Basically there is a block that you can walk round and eat, drink and be merry. There is also a small park near the MRT station and overall the location is pretty decent, albeit a stones throw from the red light district of Geylang (which is nothing to worry about at all).

Price:

The 10% booking fee with hostelbookers was added to the end bill which is a bit cheeky of the owners but they are clear about this on the booking site and still cheaper than most places so no real gripes here. We paid 176 SGD for four nights which was about the right amount for the quality of the accommodation.

Summary:

Again, the location is spot on - nice and near the MRT (which is superb) so you can just base yourself at Wow hostel, fill up on cheap food and drink, then go exploring the more expensive areas (if you're not on a budget, why are you staying here?).

Overall, it wasn't too bad - had the room been completely sealed it would have been really good but it wasn't and that's why I'm marking WOW down a bit. There really wasn't any wow factor to it.

Room Tip: If you go for a private double, check to make sure its a sealed room. Out of 54 places we stayed in...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012 via mobile

It's in a perfect location not too far from the city and the airport. It's easy to get the public transit. The hostel have a lot of the guest so, in the morning, it's crowded during breakfast time. The internet Wi-Fi is fast!

• Stayed August 2012
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

So just to make it clear. Geylang isn't really close to anything except itself (a red light district). There is no 24 hour reception. But it is on the way (East West line) to the airport and downtown. It is a very clean hostel with bunk beds. I stayed for 2 nights and i noticed that there were a lot of old people and people who seemed to get up for work. I'm not sure if this place is also housing for friends or family or something but there did seem to be a lot of non back packers. I'm sure that it is common for houses in SE asia, and probably else where, that the shower is in close vicinity to the toilet in the same room/stall. So be prepared for a wet toilet seat.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Santo Tomas, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

Fair price,Good Beds (Ikea) with nice clean sheats, good free internet.Nice kitchen with tabel and kitchenware. nice living room with flatscreen TV full with movies and a massage chair Nice.
Host is helpfull and nice but stressed and always in hurry lol.
Rooms are not big but good to sleep in, we stayed with our 4 year son , no problem.
Bathroom was ok hot water, resonable clean
can recommend
on 3 floor,just stairs

Room Tip: stay in the main (first) Building
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

t's fine for one or two nights. The rooms are absolutely tiny, the 8 bed dorm should really only have 4 beds in it and there was no room to even put our bag down. The hostel is basically a flat with maybe 30 ppl living there, 1 sofa si nowhere at all to chill out and I would say 70% of ppl staying there were living there.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

I write this review acknowledging that others may not have as bad of an experience as we did. First, we were part of a small group of the unlucky ones... we were put into a second building (not the main one where most other guests are staying) which put us further away (just across the way, but still inconvenient) from the main facilities (breakfast, laundry, the main lounge room), and that I am pretty sure that our room was the smallest one in the building.

The good: 1) Cheap enough (for Singapore), 2) located right next to the Aljunied MTR station, 3) clean/comfy beds, and 4) good WiFi and internet access.

The bad: 1) We had an extremely small and cramped room (if my arms were a bit longer, my arm span could reach from wall to wall). We couldn't open up the door without it slamming into our luggage. 2) I'm not sure about the security of the rooms; twice, when our doors were fully closed and even locked, when others down the hall slammed their doors, our door came open. It didn't really ease my mind about the security when we weren't in the room. 3) You aren't allowed to wear shoes inside. This is pretty grody considering what others may be trudging in (and what I saw others trudging in). You aren't even supposed to wear shoes in the bathrooms. And as I saw others wearing shoes inside, when I wore my designated shower sandals in self-defense, I received some pretty nasty looks from others. 4) There is no elevator, which means that we brought our luggage up three stories into the first building, then down, and then up three more stories into the other building. 5) When you book from Hostels/Hostelworld, there is an additional 10% service charge that you have to pay in addition to the rate quoted to you on Hostelworld. We didn't realize this until we looked closely on the print-out. 5) You get to hear EVERYTHING going on in the rooms next to you. The walls were clearly partitioned off by the owners of the hostel in order to create more rooms, meaning that the huge cracks in the wall (via a shared window between two rooms for example) allow for some serious sound travel. I could almost hear the people next door breathing. 6) Also, in the second building, there are a number of semi-permanent residents who live there; two of them were nicer, but I definitely didn't have that "welcome to our hostel" feeling from any of the people who lived/worked there.

The ugly: There was literally a pile of steaming, fresh diarrhea to greet us on the first few steps of the staircase into the building... WTH happened there? And an additional freebie of a huge cockroach that presumably died because of the horrific stench of the caca right next to it. It wasn't until about 10 hours after we arrived that someone hosed it off. Also, I didn't learn until the last night of our stay that cockroaches in Singapore can indeed fly. My Singaporean friend had told me this but I had yet to witness it. In the first building, the main hang out room is ACed. In the second building, there is only a fan, and the windows are left open all day/all night long... which also meant that one of the bathrooms was occupied by a huge flying cockroach. I know cockroaches don't bother everyone, but they definitely bother me.

My boyfriend and I have been traveling in southeast Asia for about 7 weeks now and this was by far our least favorite place that we stayed in. I know that options in Singapore are extremely limited if you are on a budget (like us), but I would book with caution.

Room Tip: Request a room in the main building (although I'm not even sure this is possible).
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Wow Hostels? Share your experiences!