On a business trip I had the choice of staying in the Stamford or Swissotel at about Sing$330 per night or this place for S$240 (incl breakfast) (Prices may change).
I was glad to choose this one. I was quoted a lower price excluding local sales tax and service charge, so was mildly surprised at check-in when the prices did not seem to add up, but the lady on the desk spent the time to explain it all.
When you arrive, the reception desk is on the 3rd floor. The desk you see by the entrance is for the members. This is in fact a members-only sports and social club harking back to the colonial era and still has a little of that feel about it. There is a dress code in certain parts of the building. I have no problem with that, but if you are used to dressing in shorts and a crop-top or skimpy T-shirt, then this probably is not the place for you.
The benefit of that heritage is that they have a huge sports fields at the back of the club, which provides something of the feel of a mini-sized version of Central Park in New York, as it is surrounded by high-rise buildings.
My room looked out over the field, and it was quiet, though others have said the road side of the building can be noisy.
Most of the facilities are restricted to members of the club, but those in the rooms can use the pool and a few other facilities.
There are two restaurants open to guests, including a perfectly acceptable poolside cafe which is for casual dining, but offers decent value and a Chinese restaurant.
The food is OK, but not exactly fine dining. Much better to use the restaurants in the shopping complex opposite, or go to the food hall on top of the shopping mall.
My room was just great. Normal international hotel standard The aircon was quiet and effective; it had a good bathroom with decent shower. WiFi was free for multiple devices and offered a decent signal. There was a big flat-screen TV, with a connection block for HDMI, VGA, USB and other tech, but I did not use it.
Check-in was a bit slow. My flight landed at 10am. I used the MRT mass transit system to get to City Hall from the airport. I'd expected to get a taxi for the last transfer but when I emerged from the MRT the recreation club was right there across the road, so I walked it in a few seconds.
Still I had to wait a couple of hours until the room was ready. That was OK, as there is a comfortable waiting area with WiFi and also a single computer for guests to use. They are quite clear that check-in takes place from 14:00.
You can use their showers and leave bags in the waiting area, if you don't want to wait.
Those minor quibbles aside, the staff were great, friendly and helpful even under pressure.
I'd happily use the Residence again
- Also Known As:
- The Residence At Singapore Recreation Club Hotel Singapore
- The Residence At Singapore Recreation Club Hotel
- The Residence At Singapore Recreation Club
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With 26 deluxe rooms, in a central location conveniently located near the business district, major attractions and shopping centres, The Residence at Singapore Recreation Club offers travellers an oasis of entertainment and pleasure. Located just minutes away from Singapore's newly opened integrated resorts, it is perfect for those new to the Lion city or visitors who want to experience Singapore in a new light. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Asiatravel.com Holdings, Agoda, Booking.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your The Residence At Singapore Recreation Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.