“Don't just read about it, you need to experience it.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Southern Ridges

The Southern Ridges
Mount Faber Park; Telok Blangah Hill Park; or Kent Ridge Park | Alexandra Road, Singapore 099203, Singapore
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #27 of 564 things to do in Singapore
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Bridging the hills of Mount Faber Park, Telok Blangah Hill Park and Kent Ridge Park, the Southern Ridges combine invigorating exercise with spectacular views across Singapore.
Singapore
18 attraction reviews
“Don't just read about it, you need to experience it.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Came across some reviews and decided to use the last day of 2012 to checked out this place. Armed with a small umbrella and a bottle of water, I arrived at Kent Ridge MRT station alone. Walked to the end of Science park drive and hit the trail before noon. Fortunately it was a cloudy day but a downpour was imminent. I was immediately captivated by this beautiful park. Along the way I encountered many squirrels, beautiful birds and even a white parrot, a nice change from the usual pigeons, mynahs and pesky crows you see in this concrete jungle. Forty five minutes into the walk, it started to rain. Undeterred, I pushed on (thanks to the umbella I brought along), stopping at various intervals to soothe my fifty year old feet. The place had many directional signage but I still got confused by the maze of trails. Making my way across the Alexandra arch, I was unprepared for what was going to be a 1.3 km walk across a zig-zagging no step metal walkway up the steep slope towards Telok Blangah hill park, with no one else in sight. I got 'cold feet' looking down through the floor grating but at the same time admired those who build this remarkable walkway. Further walking brought me to the Henderson waves, a spectacular bridge high up across the road with wooden boards, I have to give credits for this one heck of an engineering feat. Moving quickly through Mount Faber park and down Marang trail, I arrived at Seah Im food centre for a much deserved late lunch. A meaningful way to spend 3 hours of my time. I am sure to be back again, this time with wife and daughter in tow. (You can't see it all in a rush, it's too big a place and it's best to enjoy nature the slow way.)

Visited December 2012

• Indonesian first
Singapore, Singapore
52 attraction reviews
“Its a pity about the original path”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

I am a keen walker. One of my favourite walks in Singapore is from Mount Faber (accessed up the path from Marang Street at Harbourfront), across Mount Faber, then along to the Kent Ridge Part, itself a fascinating destination with lots of paths to explore, and the wonderful Bukit Chandu war memorial to experience.
The tree top walk from Telkok Blangah Hill park, through to Hort Park (another place worth lingering) is a delight. At tree top level, it's not ideal in the mid day sun-mad dogs and Englishmen etc-but on duck or in the early morning, it is a lovely walk. There are no great views per se, but the experience of being up where the birds nest is a delight.
I often look down to the original walking path along the floor of the forest. The old stairs leading to the path have long been closed off-at both ends of the walk. In the heat of the noon day sun, that is a pity, as down there, the shade goes for ever.
Singapore has some wonderful walks. This is one of the best. It is just a pity that there is no choice-uwp with the birds or along the ground in the shade.

Visited December 2012
Brooklyn, New York
6 attraction reviews
“Very enjoyable picturesque walk”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I found it exciting to do west to east, though a bit confusing coming upon the children's garden from what felt like the back entrance. Not a difficult walk, but bring plenty of water for that Singapore sun! Note: the walk up to the pagoda for great views -- not worth it. I thought the views were just as good from the waves bridge.

Visited November 2012
San Francisco, California
10 attraction reviews
“Beautiful And Unique Walk”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012 via mobile

We were so delighted and happy to find this lovely hike in the midst of Singapore. My husband and I aren't into shopping, so when we had a stopover in this city for a couple of days, we quickly realized that we'd be stuck in a bunch of malls (after checking out Little India, Chinatown, and the Bay Gardens, of course!) if we didn't find something interesting to do outdoors. If you're here during one of the rainy seasons, then I recommend starting the walk from the western end, and then stopping at one of the restaurants at the Faber Hill section of the hike (which is near the end of the hike on the east side) for either a drink or supper. We never saw the monkeys that live amidst the forests that the path goes through, but we very much enjoyed walking on the elevated paths at the tops of the trees, and taking in the sounds of the birds and cicadas. If I'm ever in Singapore again, I'd definitely hike this trail again.

State of Bremen, Germany
17 attraction reviews
“Hard to believe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

It is hard to believe that you are in the middle of one of world's finance centres.the Southern Ridges is a series of parks connected various walkways. We started at The Reflections at Bukit Chandu and made our way via Holt Park, the stunning Forest Walk and Henderson Wave to Mt. Faber. The Faber Bistro is a great place for a lunch or refreshment after the walk.

Visited November 2012