“cozy museum” 4 of 5 stars

Singapore
32 attraction reviews
“cozy museum”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2014 NEW

Great place to visit and learn about Peranakan culture from the displays and artefacts. There is small homely cafe on the side of the museum.

Visited October 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
San Francisco, California
8 attraction reviews
“Singapore Melting Pot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2014 NEW

China, India, Malay, Indonesia with a sprinkling of European salt make for a tasty cultural mix.

Focusing on the Chinese of Singapore, I leared how this community became seasoned with elements from other cultures. Glad I took the docent led tour having the exhibits explained in greater detail.

This was my favorite museum in Singapore.

Visited December 2014
Singapore, Singapore
14 attraction reviews
“Could use more lively exhibits”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2014

The exhibits were too staid and lifeless. The Peranakan culture is all about life, colour, music, and food, and we need to see more of that at the museum. Bring in the "live" Peranakan in the country to share their stories , have more interactive exhibitions.

Visited December 2014
Surrey, United Kingdom
23 attraction reviews
“Good museum but limited subject”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2014

Interesting insight into the Peranakan culture - I learnt who they are and how they live. Some nice displays of typical houses, clothing, weddings etc. It is a good way to spend a rainy afternoon, but by it's nature the subject matter is limited.

Visited November 2014
Melbourne, Australia
52 attraction reviews
“Heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2014

The most incredible porcelain, textiles, jewellery, furniture, clothing, accessories and everything in between are stored in this beautiful old school building. I had found out a little about the Peranakan culture before I went to the museum but nothing prepared me for the treasures I found inside. I had even visited the Asian Civilisations museum where there was a Peranakan exhibition. I couldn't help but gasp or shake my head in wonder at the intricacy of the work and detail that is so much a part of this culture. I couldn't get enough of it and was on the floor trying to capture the fine detail of the furniture when a woman (unfortunately I can't remember her name) told me how happy she was that I appreciated it so much. She then told me she would be starting the Peranakan tour in 10 minutes and would I like to join her. Her tour was so informative and delivered with warmth and humour, it was fascinating. The vibrant colours, the incredible, minute detail of the craftsmanship and the time that went into the making of these works of art was mind blowing for me. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven when I saw the wedding bed, and the beadwork was like nothing I've ever seen. It is a definite 'must see' if you're travelling to Singapore and only $6 Singapore dollars for entry, the tour was free. Josephine in the gift shop was wonderful and a delight to talk to. I will definitely be back for more.

Visited November 2014