“Safe stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #229 of 300 Hotels in Singapore
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Safe stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

This was my first solo international trip. Hence I wanted to make sure that I stay at a safe hotel. I visited during peak season and I was late in booking hence most of the options where I would have loved to stay were expensive. This hotel fell in to second level of options. I am happy that I chose. It turned out to be exactly how it was described on tripadvisor. Buses available at walking distance. Metro station about 1 km away but safe to walk down in late night too. little india is about 1.5 kms away. not too many nearby eating options for veg people but little india is a place where one can go for the same.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Chennai (Madras), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

We went on a family trip to Singapore. I was initially looking for an accommodation in the Kitchener Road. But one of my friends discovered this hotel from Trip Advisor and suggested this. I booked the hotel from Sep 12 to 15 and enjoyed the stay there. If you're looking for a family budget hotel in the Jalan Besar area, you can consider this hotel. The receptionist there was very helpful and gave proper suggestions when i asked for sightseeing places.

And, we also got complimentary breakfast during the stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Colombo, Sri Lanka
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I stayed at this Hotel from 18-21 August when my family visited Singapore on vacation. The two staff members were so courteous and helpful. They gave us excellent directions to bus routes for all our travels. The room service too was excellent. Everyday there was clean linen left in our room with bottles of water, toothpaste, tooth brushes and combs.

This Hotel was so close to a food court that we only had to cross the road to get there. Mustafa the famous shopping mall was only 15 mts away.

We truly enjoyed our stay at Madras Hotel Eminence since the customer service was very good and it was situated at a convenient location and very close to a bus stand.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

We only had 1 night on our way back to Australia. The room had a double bed and a single. We booked this room based on price; recommendations and location.

Positives:
Receptions staff were friendly and helpful
Position of hotel suited us
Room was clean
Aircon worked well
Breakfast was basic but good

Negatives:
Room was very small (really couldn't fit the 3 of us in with our bags)
Room was very musty
Beds had springs sticking through mattress

On a 3 week holiday this by far the worst hotel we stayed in but we knew it would be basic and we didn't want to pay a lot for one night. I looked around and this seemed like best value for money. It was ok for 1 night.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Lincoln, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I stayed here for three nights on a short break in Singapore. Considering the general price of accommodation in Singapore it is excellent value. It's walking distance from Lavender and Farrer Park MRT stations for sightseeing purposes though on leaving I took a taxi to Farrer Park because it's not a walk I wanted to do with a big suitcase (a little too long for the heat and lots of kerbs / other obstacles) and there are several bus stops outside which the helpful reception staff can decipher for you. On that note, this hotel is absolutely made by its staff - the lady on reception is knowledgeable and helpful (she even printed out my train ticket to Malaysia for me as I couldn't do it in the room) and speaks excellent English. The room is small, yes, but I wasn't there to hang out in the hotel! It provided everything I needed; reliable wifi (certainly good enough to sustain a reasonable facetime conversation on), a clean bathroom with reliable hot water and a reasonably comfy bed. There was quite a lot of noise from other guests while I was there (I had to get up at midnight to ask next door to be quiet one night) but I'm not sure if it's reasonable to hold that against the hotel. The only real disappointment was breakfast (choice and quality are poor and there's not enough room).

For a short break I would absolutely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here Feb 2012 for 4 nights. It was right in front of a hawker centre (if thats what its called), so u wont get hungry even in the middle if the night.
They have basic facilities which was good enough (aircon, hotwater & tv). Breakfast was nothing special.
The hotel was a bit far from the attractions.
Hotel price was more expensive compared to other better hotels i've stayed at in phuket, kota kinabalu or even melbourne. I guess its just pricey in Singapore..

• Stayed February 2013
grafton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights in July. Good value for money considering prices in Singapore. Good location close to Lavender and Farrer Park MRT stations easy walking distance. The rooms were extremely small but we didn't spend much time in anyway. Breakfast was simple but good. Pets who live in the hotel and very friendly and cute. The food hall across the road is very interesting, well priced and this is where the locals go to dine. I would recommend Sentosa Island, the cable car ride, SEA aquarium and the zoo.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Madras Hotel Eminence? Share your experiences!